Author Topic: Help needed - live control different after V2 upgrade  (Read 8291 times)

Offline Al Ram

Help needed - live control different after V2 upgrade
« on: November 17, 2019, 05:08:21 PM »
Hello Friends.     

Yesterday, I ventured to do the Genos V2 upgrade.   I read several posts before the upgrade and made a list of recommendations provided by other users.  I also backed up my registrations, user effects, etc. before the upgrade. 

After the upgrade I loaded the user effects file, however, for some reason my user settings did not load after the upgrade.   Fortunately, i had made pictures of my user settings and managed to get back 97% of my user settings manually. However, i guess that i missed one user setting that i did not even know i had.   Either i set this user setting a long time ago and did not remember or I did it without even knowing what I did.

Anyway, before the V2 upgrade. . .  when selected . . . .  all my registrations showed the "Slider Assign B" (Volume levels).  I use the method of one registration bank (1-to-10 buttons) per melody.  So, every time I selected a new registration bank or even when changing registrations buttons within a bank, the keyboard ALWAYS showed the slider assign B.  That was before the upgrade.

After the upgrade, when i bring a new bank or when changing registrations buttons within a bank, the keyboards shows 'knob assign' # 1.

I want to set it up as it was before . . . ALWAYS show 'Slider assign B" even when changing from one registration to another. 

I have read the user manual and the reference manual and researched within this forum, unfortunately i have not been able to find a permanent solution.   

I have found a workaround which is to put the Freeze ON with the check mark on 'live control'. 

But would like to have it as it was before, where every registration button would show the slider assign B.

I am afraid that i will have to change every registration bank and every button to have it as it was before, that will be an enormous task for me.

I also noticed that another user has found the same issue (see post/quote below).

Any help will be appreciated. 

thanks

Another strange thing I have encountered is that after I change a registration, Live  Control screen is changing to Knobs screen :( I have to press every time to Slider Assign button to show me B page. :(

[attachment deleted by admin]
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline valimaties

Re: Help needed - live control different after V2 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 12:50:34 AM »
Yes, this is a known problem of 2.0 ... For me is bad, and for others too...

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline voodoo

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 10:56:32 AM »
It is not a bug, it is a new feature. From now on the registry saves the content of the sub display and the selected row of knobs or sliders. So if you want to show sliders B after recalling a registry, you can save it to the registry. Just select sliders B and resave the registry.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 06:34:09 PM »
Yes, i understand that I can select slider B and then re-save.  Problem is that i have hundreds of registrations with average 7-10 buttons. . . . .  that is thousands of re-savings . . . .

Wondering if there is a Genos setup/setting that will avoid all this additional work . . . 

Thanks 
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

The following users thanked this post: Georgeandmarj

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 07:19:28 PM »
Al if you are looking to save work is it  in fact necessary to have the B window visible? For example I find if the knob window is visible but  I move a slider, the window immediately flips to the slider window, and vice versa.
Can this not work for you too? IE. Accept the window is not there to start with but since you know what the sliders do and can use them anyway, (and the screen reverts which hopefully it will also do in your case) is it a vital requirement?

John
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 07:29:15 PM by jwyvern »

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 10:10:12 PM »
John

thanks for your comments.

The slider B is not critical . . . . but in my case it provides more value than the knob window which i do not really use.

So, in my case it is a choice/preference . . . have a window that has little or no value to me or have a window that has more value to me.

Yes, i understand that pressing the slide will flip the window . . . .

I would like to find a way to automatically get the slide B window all the time like it was before.  I thought that maybe there was a Genos setting that would allow for that and perhaps it was just a matter of changing the settings.   

more and more It looks like that is not the case.  i guess i will need to change my habits . . . Anyway, i have a workaround for now.

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Stijn

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 08:24:29 AM »
Hello John,

I wasn't happy with it either, but I understand why it happened. I would have preferred that Yamaha had chosen the Sliders as default, but hey.. they didn't.
This setup should have been in the original OS but it is only with this 2.0 version that we can save it in a Registration.

This means that I have to re-save all my Registrations = 350 x 8 (or 10) buttons, taking care not to over-write other modified settings... oh well, at the same time I can tidy up my registrations.

Stijn

« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 08:27:34 AM by Stijn »
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 09:14:35 AM »
Hi Stijn,
I keep well away from saving live control and assignables in registrations in spite of every upgrade putting all reg. ticks back in and trying to cajole us to into doing it through the back door ;).
So in that state, using my regs. the B screen continues to show by default in V2 unless I manually operate knobs. I am not familiar with those aspects of Murrays program  but could it help you do a batch treatment, for example could it untick live control in all your regs. assuming that you do not have a technical reason for wanting to retain live control in them all.
I must admit I am not entirely clear how you and Al can find the wrong screen coming up by default and yet I get the preferred B screen with the same OS. If as you say the Live Control feature was only added in V2, how is it that all your regs. are affected and need changing?  Most of them must surely have been saved before V2 and will not have Live Control in them if what you say is correct. So maybe there could be some other subtle change that affects us differently??

John
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 09:42:20 AM by jwyvern »

Offline Stijn

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 09:45:26 AM »
Hi John,

I contacted Murray last Friday. He will be on holidays until mid December.
He says that lots of things have changed programming wise and he will need to figure out how to cope with all the extra lines to be added to his YRM.

The old YRM 5.1 shows errors like unknown keyboard, strange Sequence numbers, unable to create reports, and so on when working with 2.0 registrations.
He sent me a copy of the 5.2 development version but that cannot change the Slider or Knob settings yet.
So no batch solution either. It will have to be done manually for now.

I also kept well away from saving live control and assignables in registrations, but unless I don't mind the Knob display (and I do!) I'll have to modify my registrations.

Stijn

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 09:54:13 AM »
Stijn,
Thanks for the info. I edited my previous post but am not sure if you would have seen the additional comment so repeat it here:
I must admit I am not entirely clear how you and Al can find the wrong screen coming up by default and yet I get the preferred B screen with the same OS. If as you say the Live Control feature was only added in V2, how is it that all your regs. are affected and need changing?  Most of them must surely have been saved before V2 and will not have Live Control saved in them if what you say is correct. So maybe there could be some other subtle change that affects us differently??

John

Offline Stijn

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 11:24:00 AM »
John,

I don't think that I ticked 'Live Control' in my Registrations as Genos showed Slider as default.
But now, for some reason, they changed that default setting to the knob window.

So be it. I've already modified about 40 registrations.

Stijn

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 11:54:39 AM »
Stijn,
For info, I powered on Genos holding down the top key to reset it. Afterwards the keyboard still showed the B slider screen as default. So my keyboard does not reproduce your default so far. If it does anytime I can quickly reload my system file to bring back my custom settings.

John

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 11:56:56 AM »
Stijn,
For info, I powered on Genos holding down the top key to reset it. Afterwards the keyboard still showed the B slider screen as default. So my keyboard does not reproduce your default so far. If it does anytime (although I doubt it) I can quickly reload the system file to bring back my custom settings.

John

Offline Stijn

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 12:31:12 PM »
When I power on Genos it shows the B Slider. No problem. But once I press a Registration (my 1.41 Registrations) button, then it jumps to Knobs display.

What I meant with 'default' was that Yamaha changed something in the coding for Registrations to default to Knobs.

Stijn

Offline valimaties

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2019, 01:45:59 PM »
I wrote to Murray, and he said it's working on this. He said is the third time when registrations changed on Genos. He was a little bit upset, too.
He is trying to implement as quick as possible those new modifications on registrations.
Also, I gave him the idea to Split registrations, form Multiple Songs per registration bank into One song per registration bank, in a batch process.

We have to stay on touch ;)

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 06:03:30 PM »
Stijn

Not sure if this will help you . . .  there is a temporary workaround . . .

which is to put the Freeze ON with the check mark on 'live control' . .. . . but you will have to remember to press the 'Freeze' button each time you turn the Genos ON, or at least when you want to see the slider B all the time. 

That is working for me for now until i re-save al my regs . . . . about 300 times 8 to 10 . . . . average 2,700.

Thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana