Author Topic: Install GENOS V2.0 SUPERIOR PACK without Expansion Manager (YEM)  (Read 9283 times)

Offline Stijn

Install GENOS V2.0 SUPERIOR PACK without Expansion Manager (YEM)
« on: November 17, 2019, 09:09:47 AM »
For those that don't want to install or experiment with the Yamaha Expansion Manager, or don't want to add other Packs than the GenosV2.0 SuperiorPack, Yamaha provided a simple solution;

in the GENOS V2.0 SUPERIOR PACK you will find 3 files, a text file and 2 pack installation files - 1 to be used without YEM and one to be installed via YEM:

- Genos_PackInstallData.cpi - (142 Mb)-  this one can be installed on the Genos without the use of the YEM, just copy this file to the ROOT of a USB drive and start the Genos. Call up MENU- Expansion - touch Pack Installation to call up the File Selection display - select the Pack and follow the instructions on the display

- GenosV2.0 SuperiorPack.cpf (162 Mb) - this one is to be used by YEM (Yamaha Expansion Manager) - NOTE that the first time you must save it to a USB drive as Pack Installation File (*.cpi) (see Save As), later you can ADD packs by saving as Pack Quick Installation file (*.CQI) - this will not cause re-formatting of the Expansion Memory as was the case for earlier OS versions.

Stijn
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

The following users thanked this post: terryB, murrayb, beano, Shade of pale

Offline torben

Re: Install GENOS V2.0 SUPERIOR PACK without Expansion Manager (YEM)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 01:34:08 PM »
Dear Stijn (or other experts)

I may be stupid but I cannot understand this  :(

Here is myproblem.  8)

I have now upgraded my Genos to vers. 2.0 and downloaded YEM 2.6. I also imported the Genos info file intp YEM and now all my old packs bought from Yamaha through the years SHOW UP!

So far so good!

Now come the tricky part. I want to add the GenosV2.0SuperiorPack to my Genos using YEM and a USB stick (not WIFI).

But how do I proceed now?

I guess I have to import the Superior Pack "cpf" file into YEM (or should it first be changed to cpi? - I am confused here).  But is it possible to export this Superior pack afterwards to the Genos ALONE - i.e. without deleting all the other packs already installed in the instruments Expansion folder - or do I have to make a new import file including ALL my old files and the new Superior pack?

Please help!!!

Kind regards

Torben 

I guess I have to import ne of
Tyros 5 was my choice - now it is only Genos1 !

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 02:11:59 PM »
Hi Torben,
  Yes for the first time Make an install file for all the packs you want in your Genos on USB and then Install into keyboard. It will format and then load all packs including the new one. After that any other content you want to load can be done by using the Quick method using. cqi option

The following users thanked this post: torben

Offline BenoitM

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 02:18:41 PM »
Torben,

In order to keep your existing packs and add the Genos 2.0 Superior Pack, you have to Import the .CPF version into YEM (in fact, just like any of the others existing packs…). You can't import a .CPI file into YEM, as the .CPI file is meant to be 'imported' into the Genos itself.

Once the .CPF file is imported into YEM, you can then click on your 'Genos' Install Target in YEM , verify that your existing packs have a green checkmark on them, as well as the Genos 2.0 Superior Pack.

Once this is done, your can click on the 'Save as Pack Install File' button on the upper-right corner of the YEM windows.

For the first installation, it's better to do a 'Full Pack Installation' : double-check that, when saving the 'Pack Install File', on the dialog box asking where you want to put this 'Pack Install File', the 'Save as Type' is 'Pack Installation File (*.CPI)'  and NOT 'Pack Quick Installation File (*.CQI)'.  (I'm on Windows, but if you use a Mac, a similar option should be available)

Please note that if you have at least one 'Copy Protected Pack' (some commercial pack have such protection…) , additional save types will appear but the overall process is the same : prefer a normal Pack install over a 'Quick' Pack for the first installation using YEM 2.6.

The 'Quick' installation option will be useful if you later add another pack, since the 'Quick' file format will only contains the 'newly added packs' and not the whole ensemble it will be much smaller. In this case, when you import this 'Quick Pack' into the Genos, the new pack(s) will be added without deleting the existing ones !

Hope it helps.

Benoit

Offline torben

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 02:25:57 PM »
hi Benoit

thanks! Very understandeable. But now I have a strange problem. YEM says - when I try to import the cpf file, that it is already installed!!!??? It does not however show up under the packs already installed!

kind regards

Torben

Online overover

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 02:32:34 PM »
... But now I have a strange problem. YEM says - when I try to import the cpf file, that it is already installed!!!??? It does not however show up under the packs already installed! ...

Hi Torben,

try to scroll down a little in the (upper) "My Packs" window. Maybe the Superior Pack is already in the YEM, but it's not visible currently.

You can also drag down the horizontal line to increase the height of the upper window.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 02:33:38 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline BenoitM

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2019, 02:39:02 PM »
Torben,

Does YEM shows a message like "The pack could not be imported because a pack of the same name already exists" ?

If yes, you probably already have installed the .CPI file on your computer (in YEM).

If so, when you click on the 'My Packs' button on the upper-left corner of YEM, the 'Genos V2.0 Superior Pack' should appears. (remember that the 'My Packs' section in YEM lists only the packs installed on your computer, not the one installed on your Genos !)

If the Genos V2.0 Superior Pack appears in the 'My Packs' list, then you are halfway :)

You can then click on the 'Install Target' corresponding to your Genos, YEM will show you the same list of packs as in the 'My Packs' section, BUT with an important distinction : in the lower-right corner of each Pack picture, a checkmark appears : when it is green it means that you want this pack on your Genos, when it is grey it means you don't want this pack on your Genos.

So, if the Checkmark is grey for the Genos v2.0 Superior pack, simply click on it, it will turn Green (YEM will have to recalculate the amount of memory that will be needed for all the checked packs)

'Green Check' all the packs you want to have on your  Genos, 'Grey Check' the packs that you don't want on your Genos but want to keep on your computer (for later use, or because you have another YEM compatible keyboard :) ).

then , proceed with the 'Save as Pack Install File'. Once the initial .CPI file is created by YEM, you can copy it onto your USB stick, and begin the import process on the Genos itself !

Benoit

Offline torben

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 02:45:57 PM »
Hi Eileen

thanks! So the idea is once and for all make the first transfer from YEM to the instrument normal pack file   (leading to a format) and next time add individual packs as cqi files?
kind regards
Torben

Offline torben

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2019, 04:21:17 PM »
Hi agai

thanks for your help!

PROBLEM SAOLVED! The problem was probably due to a defect file download.

So now I have made a full reinstall of ALL my old files (not the Superior Pack 2.0).

BUT now is the question. Can I add that new pack making a cpi file (stored on a USB) from YEM, only incldimg this specific pack??? And thereby escape a new formatting??

Kind regards

Torben

Kind regards

Offline BenoitM

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2019, 04:34:11 PM »
So now I have made a full reinstall of ALL my old files (not the Superior Pack 2.0).

You did it by creating a CPI file from YEM v2.6 and installed it on your Genos v2.0 , right ?

BUT now is the question. Can I add that new pack making a cpi file (stored on a USB) from YEM, only incldimg this specific pack??? And thereby escape a new formatting??

If the answer to the previous question is 'Yes', then YES : you can add the Genos v2.0 Superior Pack to the 'Green Checked' packs (don't uncheck the already installed packs !) and produce a (smaller) .CQI file from there

Don't create a new .CPI file at this step, it would work, but it would generate a big .CPI file containing all the greenchecked packs and do the usual Format/Install process, wiping all the previously installed packs and reinstalling them from scratch.

When you install the .CQI file from the Genos, it will not delete the already installed packs, and simply add the 'newly greenchecked packs' !
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 04:37:52 PM by BenoitM »

Offline torben

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2019, 04:38:37 PM »
Dear Benoit!!

Thanks - you made my day  :) :) :) :)

Kind regards

Torben

Offline Amxf5

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2020, 02:13:20 AM »
I've not been successful downloading the
new superior pack to YEM
 I keep getting a "skipped" error message. Can anyone help?

[attachment deleted by admin]

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2020, 06:16:02 AM »
I've not been successful downloading the
new superior pack to YEM
 I keep getting a "skipped" error message. Can anyone help?
You are trying to load the Genos_PackInstallData.cpi file on YEM and that is wrong..
Τhe Genos_PackInstallData is the file that Install the Pack to your instrument, direct.
If you want to load the GenosV2.0 SuperiorPack in the YEM please load the second file of folder with the name
GenosV2.0 SuperiorPack.cpf
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 06:20:48 AM by Sokratis1974 »

Offline frankmusik

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2020, 07:36:58 AM »
... and don't forget ... to USE the Superior 2 Playlist you have to install the Superior Pack with the YEM!!!

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,53421.msg416534.html#msg416534

greetings frank
Genos and Tyros /PSR Support in Germany - Europe with more than
280 keyboardscouts helping in D-AT-CH-NL at your home!
Monday 18:30 (6:30 pm german time) Live tips on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBxOTmwqvDGu5QavFWeaQfQ

Offline Amxf5

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2020, 04:35:30 PM »
Still no luck on loading these styles either thru YEM or direct. Where are these styles (shown) from? They pop up when I click on superior pack in the USB extension menu.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 04:44:05 PM by Amxf5 »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2020, 04:47:34 PM »
If you have loaded this pack into your keyboard via YEM you need to press the style section on keyboard and then select Expansion and you will see the Superior Pack folder. Just open it and you will see thee styles. Just select and play. You must tell the keyboard first what you are looking for. If it is voices then select a voice and go to Expansion and you will find the new voices.

Offline Amxf5

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2020, 04:48:05 PM »
Here's the error message I get. Superior pack cpf skipped

« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 04:49:55 PM by Amxf5 »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2020, 04:52:45 PM »
If you have the CPI file unzipped and on a USB stick just install it into the flash memory but remember that if you have other packs installed they will be formatted. Once installed follow instructions above.