Author Topic: Are there any New problems after Genos 2.0 Update? Log them here  (Read 32700 times)

Offline jimlaing

Are there any New problems after Genos 2.0 Update? Log them here
« on: November 17, 2019, 12:24:06 AM »
Hi - I have read a lot of the notes about the Genos 2.0 update ... most seem to be very positive ... but I think I saw someone mention that some of his Registrations didn't work (missing samples, the note said?) - so I wondered, maybe we can have a note (this one) to catalog any "new known problems" (or bugs or glitches, etc.) that anyone finds after updating to 2.0?

Thanks!
Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

Offline Al Ram

Re: Are there any New problems after Genos 2.0 Update? Log them here
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 12:48:04 AM »
Jim,
I think this list is a good idea that will help people that have not yet done the upgrade to V2, this might help prepare for the upgrade.

I am not sure that i have found problems but rather i found challenges with this upgrade.

1. Lack of clear instructions.   For example, the instructions tell you that you can back up your user settings before the upgrade to V2, but in my case, the user settings backup file created right before the upgrade did not load after the upgrade.  As a result, i lost some of my user settings.  I am working to restore my settings.  It's OK, i will get there eventually.   This is challenging me to re-read the user manual, reference manual, data manual, etc.

2.  The installation of the Superior Pack . . . I managed to install, but the instructions to transfer the new package into Genos is lacking . . . YEM should have a help tab (inside YEM) clearly indicating where to click, etc.

I understand the Superior Pack is not necessarily part of the V2.0 upgrade, but in my case, it is one of the main reasons i did the upgrade.

Thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 01:10:47 AM »
hI

Is there an update to the reference manual yet.
I cannot find anything that explains all in the update.
I like to see that updated because we may miss those little things that are hidden away until it dawns on us.

All the best
John :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 01:21:58 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 01:34:17 AM »

Both reference manual and usermanual is updated. It's now at letter _g in the row.
Scroll down the downloadpage to find latest stuff added.

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/genos/downloads.html#product-tabs
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 02:23:36 AM »
The font size for text files has been reduced by about 20%. If you thought the available font sizes were small before, they're smaller now.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 02:29:10 AM »
My old problem from 1.4 to 2.0. Still cannot access the user style in the Recording MIDI part of the Step record.
An essential feature such that Yamaha forgot it. Can we only create MIDI tracks from Factory styles?
Genos + Motif XS7
More video about Genos: https://www.youtube.com/c/MaiDinhThangMusic

Offline mcbrown

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 06:47:58 AM »
 just checked these download links  for AU and US and the Reference Manual link does not now seem to be working although the Owners Manual is ok. I downloaded them both last night to my PC without any problems.
Just wondering if Yamaha found an error and are sorting it out for the Reference Manual.

Just checked Yamaha Australia, USA and Europe for the Genos Reference Manual and it looks like its been taken offline as none of them will load at the moment. So does look like there might be some editing going on to fix some errors in the document which I downloaded last night. The current Reference Manual is version g0 so it will be interesting to see if it becomes h0.
Genos + MS01, TouchMix 30 Dig Mixer, Fender Strat & Tele, Cole Clark FL3, Music Man 210 75 and Behringer: FCB1010, B1200D Subs x 2 & B205D f/b spkrs x4, Boss: GT-1 Guitar Fx, Roland: GR-55 Guitar Synth, MAUI 28 G2 & 5 GO x2, Korg EK-50L Arranger, Zoom L-8

Offline Wim NL

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 07:09:22 AM »
My old problem from 1.4 to 2.0. Still cannot access the user style in the Recording MIDI part of the Step record.
An essential feature such that Yamaha forgot it. Can we only create MIDI tracks from Factory styles?

That's the biggest bumper for me.
I only want this problem solved.

You can now make user styles, favorite.
You can select favorite styles in Multi Record > Step Edit> Chord.
But when you select that favorite user style, the style SkyPop appear
Best Regards,
Wim

Offline valimaties

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 10:44:20 AM »

A friend, trying to change a Kit element in Drum Setup.
3 or 4 times in an our.

Strange is that keyboard control is taking place in front of Error's screen.

Another strange thing I have encountered is that after I change a registration, Live  Control screen is changing to Knobs screen :( I have to press every time to Slider Assign button to show me B page. :(

Style Creator:
In Channel Edit - Dynamics. If you change variations with that screen opened, and "Apply to all channels" is "OFF", it is not OFF. You have to turn On and Off again. (Old but still exists).
In Drum Setup: If you change Drum Kit, it inserts automatically to the half of measure a Reverb control. Strange!

I'm still working to find errors to avoid them in gigs :(

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 05:16:12 PM »
Vali

I have the same problem . . . after the upgrade all my registrations are showing knob control . . . before they were showing slider control B.

I placed a post asking on this forum for a solution.. . . in the meantime, i have found a workaround.  Not perfect but for now . . . .

You can press slide assign, place it on B and then put Freeze ON and check the 'live control' on.   That way your registrations will not go to knob control. 

please see post below
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,52861.msg412199.html#msg412199

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline valimaties

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 07:33:40 PM »
I don't kno, but something is strange... From version to version, they add some new features or repair others, but they distroy existing functions!
Text in files is different, registrations are changing things abnormally, it is like they want to upset users. It is like they want to let users wait for other update  that solve new bugs inserted, and other bugs to come.
I don't know, but this is what I see... :( Why to change something that works fine and NOBODY asked for changing (Text font size?!?!?!?!)

Anyway, I'm glad of some new functions:
  • Style Section reset
  • Chord Looper
  • Style new measure type added and it is very good implemented ;)
  • Playlist sorting option (they could be made as savable option, like "sort and save")

I hope they will correct this small anomalies very quickly  :(

Regards,
Vali
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 07:37:09 PM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline StuartR

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2019, 07:38:12 PM »
Hi - I have read a lot of the notes about the Genos 2.0 update ... most seem to be very positive ... but I think I saw someone mention that some of his Registrations didn't work (missing samples, the note said?) - so I wondered, maybe we can have a note (this one) to catalog any "new known problems" (or bugs or glitches, etc.) that anyone finds after updating to 2.0?

Thanks!
Jim

I've noticed that a bunch of my registrations suddenly had one or more voices that showed up blank.  This affected at least 12 registrations so far. The weirdest part is that when I reference the backup copy of these on the USB drive these parts are still blank. This tells me that there is an issue with the expansion memory.

After the upgrade I reloaded all my packs using YEM 2.6 and then incrementally applied the Superior pack. Somewhere along the way this problem surfaced. Not good.

I'm going to reload (with formatting) all my packs again without doing a followup incremental load to see if this helps.

I noticed that during the incremental load of the Superior pack that the screen did briefly show a formatting message (for less than a sec) and then completed the load. This took a lot longer that I thought it should if it was really just adding that pack incrementally.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 07:53:36 PM by StuartR »

Online robinez

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2019, 07:43:24 PM »

I have the same problem . . . after the upgrade all my registrations are showing knob control . . . before they were showing slider control B.

That's not a bug, it's actually a great new feature, the registrations stores every setting now (just like the korg pa4x does in the songbook). This opens unlimited possibilities, like changing the sound in your registration through voice edit (no need to create user voices anymore this way for simple adjustments), also all the effect programming is stored now in the registration (so no need to create user effects anymore for specific songs), and even all the settings in your mixer (including the knob assign) is stored in a registration.

Because this is a new feature it defaults to the first knob setting if you load your old registrations. You can avoid that by using the freeze button.
Maybe they can change this default to the slider again, but then again, it can be fixed within seconds once you load up a registration, press the slider knob and save it again in the registration.

This full registration storage (and works also for the OTS by the way) is for me one of the greatest new features of the genos 2.0.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 07:46:03 PM by robinez »

Offline valimaties

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2019, 07:50:27 PM »
Hey, robinez, you cannot change a work of some months in some minutes because you want so (I tell about Yamaha, not about you :))) )
If you want to add new setting to store in registrations (like Live Controls), store it, but NOT by default. Don't force a setting to something that user don't need ;)

Really, I want to see how many of you play EDM and how many of you use Live Controls to make some DJ mixing stuff :) Come on, this is for 10% of those who use Genos. In this case don't force 90% to use forced a setting ;)
Yes, it is useful when you have to do something like EDM and you have to quickly change thru those little screens, so you store that in registrations, is simply to press one time on a registration than pressing twice or till you find needed screen on those Knob Assign and Slider Assign buttons. But those others which don't need this, why do you force them to rewrite registrations? :(
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 07:55:20 PM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2019, 08:00:25 PM »
Robinez

thanks for your comments.  Yes, this might be a great feature for some people.  However, for other people it is a setback . . . . . 

Yes, i know you can press the slider and re-save the registrations, unfortunately, for me that is a LOT of work.  Because it has to be done at the registration/button level.  I have hundreds of registration banks with an average of 7 to 10 buttons each . . . . . that means that i would have to repeat/re-save thousands . . . 

I also pointed out that as a workaround i can use the Freeze ON.   But that is not the point, the point is that this change creates more work . . . . when i could be playing . . .

Anyway, the upgrade is good but costly.

thanks again.

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2019, 08:26:58 PM »
I don't understand Robinez comments. The ability to edit voices and store in regs rather than  make user voices goes way back, into Tyros. The ability to save DSP parameters was there on Genos before v2.

After v2 my small screen continues to show the B slider screen. Does the stated problem arise only where users have saved Live Control in their registrations? (I keep that unticked in spite of all OS updates putting  all the ticks back in!).
Incidentally if the slider screen changes to show knobs  it will flip back to show sliders if one of the latter is moved. (and vice versa).
John

Danilo Tirado

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2019, 09:23:01 PM »
hello everyone my problem with the 2.0 update is with the vh2 the vocal harmonies are defective, does anyone have the same problem?

Online robinez

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2019, 09:43:57 PM »
I don't understand Robinez comments. The ability to edit voices and store in regs rather than  make user voices goes way back, into Tyros. The ability to save DSP parameters was there on Genos before v2.

not on my genos 1.4, i've tested this extensively by modifying sounds and reprogramming effects. Those settings were lost when i added those to a registration. That's why i used the workaround of user effects and user sounds. With 2.0 this works flawlessly, every edit is now stored in the OTS and Registration.

Offline voodoo

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2019, 09:10:21 AM »
Hi,

To my information, saving voice parameters and DSP parameters has been enabled in the step from PSR-S950 to PSR-S970. On S950 you had to use user effects, but starting from S970 DSP parameters are saved directly. Since Genos came after S970, it worked on Genos all the time.

Uli
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 10:14:49 AM by voodoo »
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline voodoo

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2019, 10:30:01 AM »
Another strange thing I have encountered is that after I change a registration, Live  Control screen is changing to Knobs screen :( I have to press every time to Slider Assign button to show me B page. :(

In the data list on page 88 there are three new lines in the parameter chart that are saved to registry:

* Sub display content
* knob assign type
* slider assign type

This means the active row of knobs or sliders is saved to registration. This is a great new feature.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2019, 11:04:32 AM »

Hi ,
Sx900  same thing, only factory styles appear to work in step record.

Is it a bug, or is this how it should be?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 11:11:48 AM by rikkisbears »
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline BenoitM

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2019, 12:12:22 PM »
not on my genos 1.4, i've tested this extensively by modifying sounds and reprogramming effects. Those settings were lost when i added those to a registration. That's why i used the workaround of user effects and user sounds. With 2.0 this works flawlessly, every edit is now stored in the OTS and Registration.

I can confirm that in the pre-v2.0 Firmware, on the Genos when you assigned multiple DSPs to the same Voice (say 'Left 1') , and tweaked the parameters of each assigned DSPs, the Registration did not keep all the changes ! (it kept the assigned DSPs 'type' , but saved the tweaked parameters of only the last one that was modified…). It was useless because when you recalled your registration it did not sound like the saved one ! After lots of attempts, I never used multiples DSPs anymore :/ (I found it very frustrating, as it can dramatically change the sound - yes, electric guitars, I'm looking at you !  8) -  ! and - no - using 'User Effects' was not an option at that time.).

I'll have to test this on my V2.0 Genos A.S.A.P. and check if it correctly remember all the parameters of all the assigned DSPs  ! If it's the case, the #1 pain point for me would be resolved ! (still, there's a minor pain point : we still have to use some workaround to bring the 'Details parameters' screen when multiples DSPs are assigned on the same Part, but I can live with it...)

Henry Millbrook

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2019, 12:30:34 PM »
I miss the clock in the top right-hand corner on the Home screen, a bit.

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2019, 12:58:24 PM »
I miss the clock in the top right-hand corner on the Home screen, a bit.

Menu / Utility / Display-Touchscreen / choose between timestamp hide or show.
Show will place clock at top right corner of the screen again.  :)
Cheers 🥂
GJ

The following users thanked this post: terryB

Offline BenoitM

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2019, 08:16:16 PM »

Well, not really... I did a test : selected a preset voice (60's Electric Guitar) on 'Left 1' , and stacked 2 DSPs on 'Left 1' as well  (a distortion and a compressor). I tweaked the 2 DSPs detailed parameters, save my changes to a Registration Memory, switched to another registration, select back the previously saved reg and … No: Even with v2.0 , it doesn't save all my edits … as in the previous versions, only the last edited DSP is correctly saved, the other(s) revert to their default detailed parameters  >:(

::)

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2019, 09:06:11 PM »
Benoit, I have done tests also and the results agree with yours. Saving multiple edited DSP's in V2 is no different from 1.41 and earlier. You have to continue to make edited user DSP's if you want to stack multiples with parameter changes. But since Genos now has 40 memory slots for user DSP's  the memory limitation has been reduced in V2.
John

Offline StuartR

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2019, 11:44:19 PM »
Hi Stuart,
the problem of blank voices could be related to the pack bank on YEM [000 - 127] that is changed when you reload all the packs. I was not sure and before updating my Genos I've taken a photo of all pack bank numbers with the phone, than reload all of them into the same banks. At the moment I have no problems with my regs, but I'm not sure that all of them work properly.

Francesco

All I know is that after the 2.0 update some of my expansion voices apparently had their location information changed without warning. I know it's happened to at least one other person here in the forum. I don't know if it was as intentional change or a bug but it did happen.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2019, 12:26:08 PM »
When you updated your YEM all packs should have been there with no alterations as mine were. As I wanted to now include the new superior pack and remove the packs I have for the voices now included in the update and add some new packs I made a new install file and loaded it. All my registrations that I have previously set up with some of these voices all work fine with no problem.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2019, 01:09:32 PM »
Hi Eileen
I am the same as you as everything was the same as before in Yem and the only thing that has changed for me is that i lost my eq settings which took me no more that 5 minutes to redo.
If everybody has the same machine ,then everybody must have the same unless not letting things load properly or readin instructions etc.
Is it me or does the sound since update sound better???

All the Best
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2019, 02:06:01 PM »

It is probably louder. (I found it so and made simple adjustment to master EQ to compensate since I am used to having the master vol set at 12 o' clock).
Ears, (or is it brains) often interpret that as better  ;).
JohnW
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 02:17:39 PM by jwyvern »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2019, 02:40:05 PM »
Well John as you no I use the toy speakers  ;) but I must admit some of the OTS set ups on the new styles sound very good indeed and well balanced. Very pleased with the update and the free pack.
  I had to reset a couple of things but only took a few minutes.

Offline StuartR

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2019, 02:59:19 PM »
When you updated your YEM all packs should have been there with no alterations as mine were. As I wanted to now include the new superior pack and remove the packs I have for the voices now included in the update and add some new packs I made a new install file and loaded it. All my registrations that I have previously set up with some of these voices all work fine with no problem.

I'm glad that not everyone had the problems that a few of us have had in this regard. At this point I don't know the reason this problem occurred as I followed the instructions while upgrading YEM as I have for every other update. I do wonder, however, if others had as many packs to reload, in my case now using 3069 out of 3072MB of available space provided by Genos 2.0.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 07:03:01 PM by StuartR »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2019, 04:16:57 PM »
Well John as you no I use the toy speakers  ;) but I must admit some of the OTS set ups on the new styles sound very good indeed and well balanced. Very pleased with the update and the free pack.
  I had to reset a couple of things but only took a few minutes.

Hi Eileen
Hope i dd not come accross bad saying toy speakers, But for what they cost is a little over the top.
Considering my DXR8's ,they cost £500 more for the pair and are powered.
By the time the next Genos arrives and another set of Genos speakers the gap almost closes.
The DXR 8's which are quality in my view also has a 5 year guarantee.
They will probably last me out.
I purchased a pair of Warfdale Black Diamonds in the 90's for my Yamaha DSR 2000 keyboard and they still going great guns for my Computer speakers now.
Also great to take away for a HOT TUB weekend in the forest lodge holiday. "Friday's Alright"!!"Get Down Saturday Night"!!! groovy  ;D.
The Genos speakers are ok at short range, but you must admit that for the price of the Genos ,it deserves speakers that compliment it with a warm clear rounded sound.
Then again it all depends on how people perseive sound i suppose.

All the best John :)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 04:17:59 PM by ugawoga »

Offline metcam

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2019, 06:01:31 PM »
Hi Eileen
I am the same as you as everything was the same as before in Yem and the only thing that has changed for me is that i lost my eq settings which took me no more that 5 minutes to redo.
If everybody has the same machine ,then everybody must have the same unless not letting things load properly or readin instructions etc.

All the Best

Same here which mean NO PROBLEMS at all after installed V2.

Regards
Curent Instruments:  PSR A-5000
Previus instruments:SX-900,GENOS,PSR-A3000,PSR9000,Tyros2,Tyros3,TYROS5,psr2000,psr2100,psr1500,psr530,psr OR700,DX7,DX11,V50,DX21.
KORG:pa800,KORG PA-900,Triton Extreme,Triton rack,.KORG X3,Roland G600.Roland

keynote

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2019, 08:27:52 PM »
Greetings everyone. I've been away for awhile and so I hope everyone is doing well. I recently updated to OS version 2.0 and I really liked the new layout and of course the new features. I did run into a problem though after updating. The update went fine and when it completed I was instructed to turn off the Genos which I did. I waited several seconds and then turned the Genos back on but about half way into boot-up there was an error message stating "Improper shutdown was detected, you may have lost User/or other files" or something to that effect. I checked all my files and they seemed to be still there so I'm not sure why the error message popped up in the first place. I was able to download and install the new Superior 2.0 pack i.e. Fiesta pack from Yamaha and it really is a great addition to my other packs. But when I tried to access my MIDI files and folders located on the User Drive I ran into a big problem. I have several 'folders' of Midi files located on the User Drive and some of these folders have an extensive amount of sub-folders which contain various midi files. When I try to access a folder that has several sub-folders it takes a loooooooooong time before the sub-folders show up and then a loooooooong time when trying to access the actual Midi files themselves. And if I select a Midi file from within one of the sub-folders and then try to go back up to the main folder(s) section it also takes a loooooooooong time to get back to the main folder(s). For example, I have one folder that contains 49 pages of sub-folders and each sub-folder contains, in some cases, hundreds of midi files. Trying to access the contents of the Main folder took over 2 minutes before the sub-folders showed up. Then when I tried to access a sub-folder it took roughly one minute 36 seconds before the actual midi files showed up. After I chose a midi file and then tried to go back up to the sub-folder section it once again took a very long time. Completely unacceptable in my opinion. The problem only seems to happen when there are more than a specific number of sub-folders contained within a folder. For instance, I have a folder that contains 27 pages of sub-folders and it opens up relatively quickly as do the sub-folders. BUT! When you select a midi file within one of the sub-folders and try to go back up to the main/sub-folder section, it took over 2 minutes! Again, completely unacceptable. I decided to downgrade to OS version 1.4.1 and now when I access my midi files and folders they open up very quickly in each and every case.

Now Yamaha gave particular instructions for the 2.0 update but to me they seem very confusing...

"Firmware Installation Procedure Notice: After you've updated the firmware to this version, the System, MIDI, USER Effect, and Registration data are initialized the first time you start up again." "Save the MIDI Setup File and User Effect Setup file "before" updating, and load "after" updating." (quotations mine)

"Save Registrations to the file before updating." I could not find how to save Registrations to the Backup file(s).

"Even if you save the System Setup file before updating, it cannot be loaded "after" updating. (quotation mine) Okay, so the MIDI and User Effect backup files can apparently be loaded "after" updating but NOT the System backup file." But then if you read the next sentence...
"If you save the Backup data "before" updating and restore it "after" updating, the System, MIDI, User Effect and Registration data will NOT be restored."

So from what I gather, if you save a backup of the System, MIDI, User Effect file(s) before updating to OS 2.0, it doesn't really matter because if you try to load them back into Genos the data is NOT restored anyway?? But why does Yamaha instruct people to make backup copies of the MIDI, User Effect files 'before' updating and then instructs people to "load" the file(s) again into Genos "after" the update? Is Yamaha saying if we don't load a previous version - MIDI, User Effect backup files into Genos after updating to 2.0, that version 2.0 won't work correctly? We've never had to do this before on any of the other updates if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, as I said, I went back to version 1.4.1 because of the Midi file access problem with version 2.0. Now my Fiesta Super-pack doesn't work and I don't get to enjoy the new features of OS 2.0 which is a real shame. PS: If a Yamaha staff person could clarify the update instructions and installation process if would be very helpful. If the Midi file access problem is addressed in a future update (hopefully soon) I would be extremely happy and I could also use the Super 2.0 expansion pack "Fiesta" again which would also be great. Yamaha, are you listening? If one of the members want to chime in feel free.

All the best,
Mike 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 08:31:17 PM by keynote »

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2019, 09:29:49 PM »
Mike, thanks for your post. It is the very reason I won't update to Version 2. I'm primarily a gigging musician and am very busy this time of year. I can't afford a horror story. Some folks on this forum have updated seamlessly while others have shared horror stories like yours.

I know little about the operating system on this beast but it seems to me that the instructions provided are VERY vague and meant for a Genos that has not been heavily customized. That is, there seems to be a ton of other prep work that must be done before the update, if you've owned the Genos for a few years and have carved your musical soul into its settings. For example, Yamaha says to back up a few things but half of those don't matter because the backed-up settings can't be restored anyway??!! Why back them up in the first place? We have yet another mystery.

As written, the update instructions are fine for a minority of Genos users. Some of us who are exploring the deep inner bowels of what the Genos can do, stand to lose a lot in this update if we don't do everything (whatever that is!!) just perfectly. I'm still very confused about all the different ways you need to update the Genos. I doubt I'll tackle it for another few months. Maybe by then, Yamaha will have a properly written set of instructions that address all audiences and every setup scenario under which we use our Genos. I'm not holding my breath though!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2019, 11:31:11 PM »
Take a look at this it is very helpful and if you got to the middle of the video around 36 minutes it is in English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9FsoXSHTDcd
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 11:34:58 PM by EileenL »

Offline valimaties

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2019, 11:39:30 PM »
Mike, only System settings will NOT loading.

Backup will be restored.
Midi settings can be loaded.
User effects can be Loaded.

So, it's ok ;)

Yes, indeed, there are problems, like Live Control screen issue when you press registration buttons, or Text characters, as Fred said in a post.
But, I needed Style Section Reset, Playlist Sorting option now is available, for now, Scale is not helping me at all. So for some reasons and features, I'm pleased about this semi-upgrade :D ! After all, is free :D

Regards,
Vali
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 11:42:33 PM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2019, 01:58:53 AM »
Thanks, Eileen. I did save that link. It seems to be the best set of instructions so far. I just hope it covers everything. I have performed dozens of computer and software upgrades and there's always a surprise. I can live with the odd third-party program on my computer that doesn't work 100% as it should after an upgrade but that scenario is not negotiable when it comes to my Genos.

Thanks again :)!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2019, 02:58:31 AM »
... Really, I want to see how many of you play EDM and how many of you use Live Controls to make some DJ mixing stuff :) Come on, this is for 10% of those who use Genos...

Vali,

Saving Live Control settings in registrations is not just for EDM.  It's a very powerful new feature that can be used for any kind of music.  It's a wonderful enhancement to registration memory. I think if you experiment with it you will find it very useful.

;)

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Carlos84

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2019, 07:42:23 AM »
I Have a problem with instal Pack on my Genos  when i instal it say /   Cannot execute quick installation  Instal with a full installer ( .ppi / cpi  ) . 
but i not see a option to do a full Instal ,so how must i do that ?   I have 2.0 and the latest Manager on it.

i did from a usb stick ,after i use Expansion Manager to make the packs ready
someone knows  how to activate a Full Instal?

greetings
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 07:43:50 AM by Carlos84 »

Offline overover

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2019, 08:10:32 AM »
I Have a problem with instal Pack on my Genos  when i instal it say /   Cannot execute quick installation  Instal with a full installer ( .ppi / cpi  ) . 
but i not see a option to do a full Instal ,so how must i do that ?   I have 2.0 and the latest Manager on it.

i did from a usb stick ,after i use Expansion Manager to make the packs ready
someone knows  how to activate a Full Instal? ...

Hi Carlos,

in "Save as Pack Installation File" window (after clicking on "Save as Pack Install" button), simply click on "Quick Pack Installation File (*.cqi)". This will open a list with the two options you have. Then click on "Pack Installation File (*.cpi)" in this option list.

You have to use the option "*.cpi" (= "Full" Pack Installation WITH formatting the Expansion Wave Memory) only ONCE.

For future installations you can use "*.cqi" (= Quick Pack Installation WITHOUT formatting the Expansion Wave Memory) to quickly ADD (append) new Packs to the exisiting ones on the keyboard.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 08:20:28 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline anandmaloo

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2019, 08:21:32 AM »
Hi Chris,

If I have to modify my existing packs (basically delete some styles/voices which I don't use from the existing installed packs) and add some new packs  at the same time, will the .cqi work or I have to use the .cpi format

Regards

Anand

Offline Stijn

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2019, 08:32:32 AM »
Anand,

The .cqi installation only appends packs to the expansion memory.
The same goes for 'Send to instrument' over WiFi.

If you want to clean up you best use a full installation with formatting, thus the .cpi (Pack Installation File)

Stijn
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

Offline overover

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2019, 08:55:27 AM »
Hi Chris,

If I have to modify my existing packs (basically delete some styles/voices which I don't use from the existing installed packs) and add some new packs  at the same time, will the .cqi work or I have to use the .cpi format ...

Hi Anand,

in addition to Stijn's reply (#45):

In the case of a NOT protected Pack (.ppf format), you can edit the Pack first (e.g. deleting particular Styles/Voices) if you basically don't want to use them. Then save this edited Pack as a NEW PACK (with a different filename) in .ppf format. Now delete the "old" Pack from the YEM and import the new one.

With PROTECTED Packs (.cpf format) you can only "untick" some content you don't want to use, but you can NOT save a protected Pack as a new, edited Pack.

You can always TRY to install changed content as "Quick Installation", first. IF this should NOT be supported in individual cases, you will get an error message (and you have to make a FULL Pack Installation).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 08:58:30 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline anandmaloo

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2019, 09:36:18 AM »
Hi,

Being from India, I have to import a lot of Indian packs which fill up the memory. I was quite excited to hear about increase of memory from 2gb to 3gb

So after upgrading to V2, and importing the new Genos info file into YEM (confirmed by increase of waveform capacity)  I added the new superior pack and two more indian style packs.
The YEM failed to make the pack citing "the amount of user waveforms data exceeds the limit. Please reduce the number of selected voices."

So I reduced one pack and tried.  It still failed.

I reduced one more pack. It still failed.

Now I tried adding only the superior pack. THIS TIME TOO !!!! 

Attached is the screenshot of the error.

So I don't understand how can the pack creation fail when I have added only the superior pack (assuming it is not more than 1 GB)

I am attaching my workings of several tests that I did (both prior to upgrade and post upgrade) with waveform counts to understand what is the capacity of the YEM.  Still not able to understand.

Please check and help. To clarify (all attempts were .cpi method)   And my Genos from India does not have a wifi.

Regards

Anand

In the second image, the first yellow column is the capacity of YEM pre-update and the 2nd yellow column is the capacity post update. "Worked" column  means the pack was created with these sizes and "No" column means the pack failed to create

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 09:44:25 AM by anandmaloo »

Offline anandmaloo

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2019, 10:12:23 AM »
Hi Carlos,

in "Save as Pack Installation File" window (after clicking on "Save as Pack Install" button), simply click on "Quick Pack Installation File (*.cqi)". This will open a list with the two options you have. Then click on "Pack Installation File (*.cpi)" in this option list.

You have to use the option "*.cpi" (= "Full" Pack Installation WITH formatting the Expansion Wave Memory) only ONCE.

For future installations you can use "*.cqi" (= Quick Pack Installation WITHOUT formatting the Expansion Wave Memory) to quickly ADD (append) new Packs to the exisiting ones on the keyboard.

Best regards,
Chris

Hi Chris,

After my attempt to add even the single new pack (superior pack) failed, I tried to create a new YEM installation file just with the existing packs which I had (already installed and working in Genos, nothing new).

The saving window gave me four options

.pqi
.ppi
.cqi
.cpi

Attached is the screenshot

Now I am confused again. Which option to choose ? What is the difference between  a ppi and a cpi  (or for that matter a pqi and a cqi)

Regards

Anand

An update - I was able to make a .cpi file (with the same packs - nothing added)
2nd update - I failed to make a cqi file adding only the new superior pack

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 11:17:23 AM by anandmaloo »

Offline overover

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2019, 11:22:49 AM »
Hi Anand,

if there is at least ONE protected Pack involved (that was originally imported as .cpf to the YEM), you will only have the options .cqi and .cpi when saving a Pack Installation file.

if you only have unprotected Packs (selected) in the YEM, you will have the options .ppi and .pqi when saving a Pack installation file.

When you want to newly save an edited unprotected Pack (or some Content of an existing Pack) as a NEW PACK, you normally will choose the .ppf (unprotected Pack) format. IF you want to save a PROTECTED Pack (which can only used on one particular instrument), choose the .cpf (protected Pack) format. You can also import the Instrument Info file (.n27) of another keyboard (for example of a Friend's keyboard) and make a protected Pack (.cpf) which will only work on that particular keyboard.

Best regards,
Chris

Offline overover

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2019, 11:54:49 AM »
Hi Anand,

regarding your inquiry about the error message "Total amount of User Waveform data exeeds the limit":

First, please be sure to use the new YEM version 2.6.

Have you checked whether possibly the "Voice Parameter Size" (max. 61044 KB) or the "Pack Install File Size" (max. 4096 MB) is exceeded?

If all three values (Voice Wave Size, Voice Parameter Size and Pack Install File Size) are below their limits, I can not help you right now, unfortunately.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 02:59:08 PM by overover »

Offline anandmaloo

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2019, 01:53:23 PM »
Chris,

I did check and all the parameters are much below the maximum capacity

To be precise -

Paramater             Capacity       Size in YEM

Voice Wave          3072               1074
Voice Parameter      61440               9666
Pack Install File      2048               1077

I had just added the superior pack to my existing working installation and tried to make a .cqi file after upgradation. The file sizes were as mentioned above. But that too failed.

So basically even after increment of memory, and proper installation of YEM, I am unable to add a single pack to my GENOS.

What I feel is that there is some different rule or parameter for rex files in YEM as all my packs are self made packs from Rex files

Regards

Anand