Author Topic: Advice Please: Keyboard for Style Editing  (Read 2904 times)

designserve

Advice Please: Keyboard for Style Editing
« on: November 16, 2019, 03:04:31 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I'm very new to Yamaha keyboards but not to keyboards in general.

I would like to get a second-hand Yamaha that would be good for style editing. I have a lot of PC style editing software and I'm proficient with that.

What I would like is a keyboard for the following:

- Use for testing styles I've converted from other brands or models
- Edit and/or create styles on the keyboard relatively easily
- Have reasonable compatibility with other models so that I can share my creations and conversions. I realise that might involve software. I'm fine with that.

I've been looking at PSR3000, PSR8000, PSR9000, Tyros 1, 2 and 3.

- Aside from cost, do any of these stand out as being good for style editing?
- Any others I should consider?

At the moment I like the sound of PSR9000 pro or Tyros 3. Budget is a consideration of course, especially because this is more about editing and compatibility than sound or performance.

In addition to what I've said above, are there any large advantages to style editing in Genos or the other latest models?

I also want to play it of course! However, primarily this purchase is about converting styles well. Bear in mind I would like to be able to convert my styles for earlier models without a huge hassle. I'm assuming that I can create them with that in mind.

Thanks in advance!

Offline DrakeM

Re: Advice Please: Keyboard for Style Editing
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 03:56:56 PM »
To help, please clarify exactly what keyboard model styles are you wanting to convert to play in one of these Yamaha keyboards?

designserve

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 04:16:13 PM »
I'm looking for the widest possible compatibility.

That probably (possibly?) means an older model but I'm coming down on the side of Tyros 3 because I like the sounds.

However, I also have the usual PC programs including Styleworks Universal.

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 06:11:39 PM »
You can't take Roland or Korg or Casio styles and put them into any Yamaha keyboard. 

You have to rework them in a software program not a Yamaha keyboard. If that is what you are hoping to be able to do.

If you want more styles for your Yamaha keyboard, there are probably 5000 to 10,000 (or more) posted at this web site. You just have to be pointed to them. There is no need for you to bother converting styles for yourself.

If you are wanting styles for some of today's songs for example, you will need to learn to create them yourself using the Yamaha Style Creator, which comes with all Yamaha keyboard.

In fact I recently posted a couple videos about style creation. They are at YouTube, just click on the link in my signature link to see them. Also, I create my own custom song styles for using at gigs and you can hear the MP3 recordings that are in the other link in my signature below. There are over two hundred examples of what you can accomplish with the Style Creator and all the styles available to you at this time.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 07:47:06 PM by DrakeM »

The following users thanked this post: Mikk

designserve

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 02:05:41 AM »
DrakeM,

Thanks for the pointers. I enjoyed your videos and music.

I decided to go for the Tyros 3, and it's now sitting in front of me. An eBay purchase.

Thanks again!