Author Topic: update 2.0 voice guide issue  (Read 7558 times)

stlpianoman

update 2.0 voice guide issue
« on: November 16, 2019, 10:48:26 AM »
Hello folks, I have updated to the latest firmware for the Genos, 2.0.
No problem in getting it installed.
However, I have a question about reinstalling the older version 1.1/4.
May I go back to the older version if I wish?
Here is the deal, As most of you know I am a totally blind person.
I also updated the voice guide files to match the 2.0 update.
Actually, in some ways, there are things that speak now that never have spoken before.
But some items that spoke before do not speak now.
Here are the two displays that I am having issues with.
1. The "record multi-record display".
Its possible this display has change.
I can't go to the display to select the drives where my midi files are located.
2. the "style selection display".
The voice guide does not announce the style categories.
It did in the last version.
However, the categories do launch when you touch them.
When you touch the style name on the display, the voice guide does read the name of the style.
It also reads the page number at the bottom of the display.
Just the categories are not speaking.
In the voice display, everything speaks perfectly.
Touch the voice categories on the left side of the display and voice guide reads them perfectly.
I appreciate any help on this.
The main thing is, I can't use the multi-recording feature has it stands right now.
For those of you who do not know what voice guide is,
It is a feature developed by Yamaha so that a visually challenge or blind person may use and enjoy the instrument.
I might add, the only manufacture of keyboards that has done so.
I take my hat off the Yamaha.
Thanks for viewing this post.
Mark stlpiano

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline Toril S

Re: update 2.0 voice guide issue
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 12:48:42 PM »
Hello Mark! Unfortunately an update cannot be reversed. There seems to be a bug in the new VoiceGuide version if the style categorys and multi recorder do not speak as before! This should be reported to Yamaha! Does someone know where we send such a report?
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 12:54:09 PM »
Hi
 Firmare cannot. It is best not to play around with firmware as the whole machine could be rendered useless.

All the best
john
 :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 02:47:00 PM »
Hi Toril,
  Always the best people to speak to if having problems are the local service department at Yamaha. e have a very good one here in UK. They will check it out and report to Japan .

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 03:05:08 PM »
I live in Norway!😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

stlpianoman

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 03:48:37 PM »
Ok folks, I have solved the problem with the voice guide not reading the categories in the style selection page.
My fault, I didn't download the whole voice guide files.
As a result, some of the audio voice guide files were not present with in the zip file.
Redownloading and installing the voice guide audio files fixed the problem.
So that has been cleared up.
But the midi multi-recording display has no place to open to drives inorder to select a midi file for editing.
Question, has this display change in any way from the previous Os?
Or is it possible that all the icons are not present on the display?
If it has change, how to I load a midi from an usb drive and play and edit it with the midi multi-record display.

Mark stlpianoman

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 04:33:12 PM »
Hi Mark,

In the new firmware version, if there is a MIDI already loaded in the Song Player, then when you open the MIDI Multi Recording screen, it opens with that song already loaded, just as it did in previous PSR and Tyros models.  So you can select the song by loading it into the player before opening the song recorder if you like.  This is different to what happened in previous Genos firmware versions.

However, in addition, the box at the top left of the Multi Recording screen (which shows the currently loaded song) can be touched to open the MIDI selection screen, allowing you to select a different song from any drive.  When you exit the song recorder, the song that you were working on will be in the song player. 

Regards

Ian

Nocturne64

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 11:39:08 PM »
Hello, I have Voice guide issues, too. I'm totally blind, Just bought a new CVP809 piano (great instrument!), downloaded and installed Voice guide files in a USB key, it works very well but not in all screens. In many displays, many important commands are not vocalized. For example, in main menu, items like Tempo, Transpose, Split/fingering are totally not accessible (no voice), and I can only press Home button to take back control of the piano. Also, after recording a new song, it seems that Save function is not spoken, and also Channel setting for multiparts MIDI recording. I really do not understand where could be the problem. I just tried a different USB key, and I downloaded all Voice Guide files again from Yamaha web site without any change. Any idea? If not, anyone has right way to report this to Yamaha? Thanks.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 01:07:39 AM »
Hello, I have Voice guide issues, too. I'm totally blind, Just bought a new CVP809 piano (great instrument!), downloaded and installed Voice guide files in a USB key, it works very well but not in all screens. In many displays, many important commands are not vocalized. For example, in main menu, items like Tempo, Transpose, Split/fingering are totally not accessible (no voice), and I can only press Home button to take back control of the piano. Also, after recording a new song, it seems that Save function is not spoken, and also Channel setting for multiparts MIDI recording. I really do not understand where could be the problem. I just tried a different USB key, and I downloaded all Voice Guide files again from Yamaha web site without any change. Any idea? If not, anyone has right way to report this to Yamaha? Thanks.

Sounds like the same problem and solution as reported in reply #6. Did you download ALL of the voice guide files?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Nocturne64

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2020, 01:25:21 AM »
Yes you are right, it seems the same problem, but I do not understand the way in which it was been solved. In Yamaha web site, in the page related to my product (CVP-809), download section, there is only one zip file regarding Voice Guide, and a little text user manual, too. As written in the user manual, I downloaded this zip file (around 550 MB), extracted and copied the entire folder in a USB key (around 1 GB) and connected the key to my piano. Having just read that post above, I tried to download again the same file from Yamaha web page but no success. Are available more Voice Guide files that I lost? Thanks.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2020, 12:20:06 PM »
No the voice guide is a complete download with no extra files anywhere.

Nocturne64

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2020, 09:33:53 PM »
Today I made more tests with other USB keys but no success. I suspect that many displays in this piano are not supported by Voice Guide.... if so, it is a very bad situation, because all blind users are not able to use important features of the instrument. For example: Tempo, Transpose, Split Fingering.... all these screens are not spoken. Also, no chance to save files in the piano. I can record my song, but I can not save it! Bad luck. Mixer is out of the game, too. As this piano was marketed recently, I hope in some sort of update in the future. Well, what is situation in Genos and PSR-SX? Are they totally supported by Voice Guide or not? Thanks.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2020, 12:31:21 AM »
Hello! I am also visually impaired, but have not installed VoiceGuide yet. But I think it still has a way to go before it is fully usable for us! Yamaha made a step in the right direction, but they need to make sure that all screens speak! We have to be able to use all menu functions, just like sighted users.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Nocturne64

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2020, 01:03:13 AM »
Yes, we must thank Yamaha for developing Voice Guide. They are the only brand in musical instrument that added such features in all latest generation keyboards/pianos. This is so good! And, where supported, I believe Voice Guide works very well, too! As you said, all main menu items are spoken and very stable. But, before purchasing, I hoped that I could use all piano features. In particular, I think that being not able to save song is a very frustrating lacking unfortunately. I do not know if any person from Yamaha reads this forum. If so, well, you are in the right way, please proceed in this way and complete a very good job just begun so well. Thank you.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2020, 01:33:57 AM »
Oh yes, they read this forum, and amen, we need Yamaha to please develope this great VoiceGuide further! And I add my thanks to Yamaha for adding it!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2020, 01:48:37 AM »
If you record in Audio then the file is saved to the user section when you press stop on the recorder.
It will title it as 0001 and additional ones will be titled 0002 0003 etc. You can then rename them if you wish to.

Nocturne64

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2020, 05:17:48 PM »
Oh I did not try to use Audio recording mode yet. Surely will make some test. Hoping that Voiceguide will recognize my recorded files once they will be in the User menory, so I can move them on a USB stick for archiving. Unfortunately all MIDI recording section is not available for us. Also, the piano seems having a Voice Edit section, and a powerful Style Creator section..... out of game, too. Bad luck, sadly. Go ahead Yamaha, solve the problem please, because we all need to play and play and play our pianos/keybaords during this difficult Covid-19 time! We surely will win all together, including Yamaha engineers! Thanks.

Nocturne64

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2020, 10:16:26 PM »
Just an additional point. I carefully looked in Voice Guide zip file provided by Yamaha. It contains some folders in which many wav files are placed. It seems that piano firmware points out the required "voice" file based on each command from the user. So, when a command is not vocalized, does it mean that corresponding file is not there? Or, is the issue related with main firmware and not only with files? Anyone could explain this? If limitations are only related to files, probably recording new wav files and placing them in right folder could solve this issue, but obviously we must know exactly right folder to place files in right position. Thanks.

Offline gabrielschuck

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2021, 04:47:33 AM »
As I've said in other threads....
Voice Guide is a palliative that yamaha has found to provide accessibility on some digital keyboards / pianos and it's far from 100% complete, especially if you look at the way it works, that it's very simple.
As the spoken messages have already been pre-recorded, dynamic information such as file names are left without any feedback, which is a very serious problem for those who invest heavily in an instrument.
A review of the Voice Guide using real-time voice synthesis, as a screen reader does, should be considered.
Keyboards the way they are coming with all this firepower has technology for that like a computer.
I also think Yamaha could be more open to dialogue, for example by providing a dedicated forum for Voice Guide users to accept suggestions and improvements to this feature.
Greetings,
Gabriel
-------------------------------

keyboardist, arranger, composer and music producer

"Life is like music. It must be composed by ear, with sensitivity and intuition, never by rigid rules."

Offline Toril S

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2021, 10:57:13 AM »
I fully agree Gabriel!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline overover

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2021, 08:37:45 PM »
Hi all,

There are current updates (from 2021-12-07) of the Voice Guide (Tutorial Manual & wav files) for Genos V2.10 and for PSR-SX900/700 V1.10:

Voice Guide Tutorial Manual and File for Genos V2.10:
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/updates/genos_vg.html

Voice Guide Tutorial Manual and File for PSR-SX900/700 V1.10:
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/updates/psr_sx900_700_vg.html

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)