Author Topic: Style Creation in DAW  (Read 6182 times)

3dc

Style Creation in DAW
« on: November 07, 2020, 08:02:54 AM »
Hi guys!

I wonder what is general or simplified workflow to make a simple style for Yamaha keyboard in computer DAW. I would like to make a simple EDM style with lead synth voice for SX keyboards but with sounds from my DAW and plugins. Can somebody point me to a overview tutorial or explain it to me in 2 or 3 sentences? What files are needed, file extension name,... Is this even possible? 

Thanks for help!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 08:04:18 AM by 3dc »

Offline mikf

Re: Style Creation in DAW
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 08:20:48 AM »
I don’t see how it is possible for a keyboard style to use external voices??

3dc

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 08:23:14 AM »
I don’t see how it is possible for a keyboard style to use external voices??

No I meant to create a style for Yamaha keyboard with external sounds.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 10:43:00 AM »
Hi

you can make astyle in a daw , but with genos sounds.
It is a long arduous task to do though.
I had EMC Styleworks a few years back and that was easy making styles , but with a few updates and not thinking of the Genos it was useless.
Now you could do it through a daw and finish with Stylemagic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz0BH6Nnb0U
This may help.

All the best
John
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2020, 11:41:29 AM »
No I meant to create a style for Yamaha keyboard with external sounds.
Thats what I assumed and I am saying I don't think it is possible. Styles have to use on board voices.
Mike

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2020, 11:48:42 AM »
... I would like to make a simple EDM style with lead synth voice for SX keyboards but with sounds from my DAW and plugins. Can somebody point me to a overview tutorial or explain it to me in 2 or 3 sentences? What files are needed, file extension name,... Is this even possible?

Hi 3dc,

when the standard MIDI template "All Parts" is selected on the keyboard, the Style Parts are transmitted on Channels 9 - 16 @ MIDI Port 1 (see attached picture).

So you can control your external sounds (e.g. from plugins in the DAW) using USB-MIDI Port 1 (or DIN MIDI A Out) and routing the desired Channels (of 9 - 16) to the desired Sounds of the DAW. You have to make sure that the Sounds in your DAW are not changed by BankSelect and ProgramChange messages of the Style. This can be done in several ways. Or, if your DAW does respond to BankSelect and ProgramChange messages from the Style, you have to insert/change these events correctly in each Style Part (BankSelect MSB = CC0, BankSelect LSB = CC32, ProgramChange).

You can use "Local Control" in  MIDI settings to switch off the Style playback via the internal sound generation. To do this remove the checkmark for "Style" in the System tab (see the second picture).

----

Creating a Yamaha Style on the computer is a completely different topic. There are many options here, e.g. the program called "EMC Styleworks" by John (which is however not cheap and unfortunately does not guarantee perfect results by far). A highly recommended program is "Style Magic YA" from the Polish manufacturer MidiSoft (https://www.midisoft.pl/en/).

There are also many free tools for creating and editing Styles on the PC, e.g. by Jørgen Sørensen (http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/software.htm). MixMaster by Michal Bedesem and Etienn Volbragt can also do a good job here (https://psrtutorial.com/MB/volbragt.html).

The professional Style programming tool "Stylist" from Yamaha is unfortunately still only available to professional Style programmers who work directly with Yamaha. For us "normal users" it is unfortunately not available.

One method to create a Style "from scratch" in the DAW is to use a corresponding MIDI template in which the necessary markers for the individual Style sections are already defined. Here is an example of an SFF1 Style:
>>> http://www.robbys-hp.de/Download/TEMPLATE.zip

In order for a Style created on this basis to work later, only notes of the C Major7 scale may be used, and when the MIDI file is finished, the file extension must changed from .mid to .sty.

But all of this would lead too far here. Style programming requires a lot of special knowledge and is fundamentally much more demanding than MIDI file programming.

Hope this helps a little bit!

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 12:06:27 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

3dc

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 01:27:50 PM »
Huh! I didn't know it was that hard and complicated to create a style. This is way out of my league.  :o :)

Thanks guys for explanation.

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2020, 02:20:56 PM »
Huh! I didn't know it was that hard and complicated to create a style. This is way out of my league.  :o :)

Thanks guys for explanation.

Hi 3dc,

you can start with altering existing Styles (including re-recording certain Parts of a Style) using the Style Creator on your keyboard. There you can also edit the most important, so called, CASM settings of a Style (e.g. the High/Low Note Limits).

Just for your information: In the CASM section of a Style file is defined how the accompaniment engine of the keyboard should interpret the MIDI data of the Style file (among others depending on the chord that is currently played in the Style control area of the keyboard).

You can do many things in Style Creator (please refer to the Reference Manual of your keyboard. Later, if you come to some limits there, you can use external tools for further editing the Style. Just an example: To edit MIDI events of a Style file you can use MixMaster.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 02:31:08 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2020, 03:03:41 PM »
I have published 5 video tutorials on creating Yamaha style on computer with Cakewalk BandLab.
Unfortunately, I don't know English. I am adding English subtitles using google translate. It takes quite a while to complete.

If you are interested, you can see the operations and will understand a part. Just like I don't know English but watching videos speaking English I can still grasp the content.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEwgBOpigVjnwkGtkIKmKmSqYcFIIL-nP
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 12:12:40 AM by Snicker740 »
Genos + Motif XS7
More video about Genos: https://www.youtube.com/c/MaiDinhThangMusic