Author Topic: Master EQ Settings  (Read 14655 times)

Mike2

Master EQ Settings
« on: November 15, 2019, 08:13:29 PM »
I have downloaded the new update. Not impressed one bit. I guess it's all in what it does for you.
The Master EQ Settings and Frequency has changed since the update. I cannot use my EQ Gold settings for the frequency has changed.
For those who are happy with this new update, enjoy, I'm happy for you all. Not me.

Offline valimaties

Re: Master EQ Settings
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 08:39:31 PM »
I have downloaded the new update. Not impressed one bit. I guess it's all in what it does for you.
The Master EQ Settings and Frequency has changed since the update. I cannot use my EQ Gold settings for the frequency has changed.
For those who are happy with this new update, enjoy, I'm happy for you all. Not me.

You have to restore the backup and you will find in the list (if you saved it as a user EQ ;) )

I have almost all the settings back again, but not all of them, because System Settings could not been restored, so I have to make some manually.

Vali Maties - Genos

Mike2

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 09:21:10 PM »
No....the Master EQ frequency settings have changed. Doesn't matter what you saved.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 09:32:16 PM »
Yamaha's installation instructions recommended to create backup files. The one that saves Master Effects suitable to cover for the V2 update is the User Effect file. If you had saved this file you could load it back in and your Gold settings would be available for selection. If you do not have a UE file you will need to put the frequency, gain and Q settings in manually.
Immediately after the update  my Genos sounded weaker and disappointing until I had:
a. Restored settings by loading the user effects file. Among others, this will restore frequencies, gains and Q's.
b. Gone into Master tab of Mixer and selected the previously used settings for EQ and Compressor.

John
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 09:37:37 PM by jwyvern »

Mike2

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 09:46:24 PM »
Ok thanks...setting the frequency manually will work.
Thanks...again...Mike

Offline valimaties

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 09:50:30 PM »
No....the Master EQ frequency settings have changed. Doesn't matter what you saved.

Ok thanks...setting the frequency manually will work.
Thanks...again...Mike

I and John too, wee said to you what you have to do to restore your settings, including EQ. If you don't want to listen, so please, do it manually yourself, again ;)

Vali Maties - Genos

Mike2

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 10:20:08 PM »
Sorry, I have learned an important lesson!

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 12:52:33 AM »
Hi
Reset frequencies!!   5 minute jobby!! 8)

All the Best
John :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 03:40:43 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2019, 04:10:36 AM »

Mike,

You can set the frequency you want. Just tap a frequency, and it will give you six pages to choose from.

I made the mistake of not saving my User Eq, so I just went and found the EQ gold settings, and entered them manually. Easy fix.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2019, 02:57:01 PM »

Mike,

You can set the frequency you want. Just tap a frequency, and it will give you six pages to choose from.

I made the mistake of not saving my User Eq, so I just went and found the EQ gold settings, and entered them manually. Easy fix.

Cheers,
Fred

Thanks for making the explanation simple, some do miss that.  I’m traveling and not near my Genos and won’t be for another 10 days, but I’m carefully reading all the posts so that when I finally get to my Genos I’ll upgrade to Genos 2.0 without any problems.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline elad770

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 01:10:55 AM »
Can someone share the EQ Gold settings everyone are talking about?

Is it really that good? I never touched the EQ but I think i would like to experiment

Mike2

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2019, 12:17:11 PM »
Here it is. The gain level on the low end frequency doesn't have to be that high. Try +6. Don't forget to save it after the settings are done.

[attachment deleted by admin]

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, harry t, Joe H

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2019, 03:20:12 PM »
No problem after V2 with saving a large no. of optional master EQ's for quick selection. We now have an extra 30 memory slots compared with a miserly 2 before the update.
John

Offline elad770

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2019, 03:37:46 PM »
What about all this discussion on how this setting is not good at all?

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?topic=42556.0

Also, do you all turn the compressor off as recommended by this website?

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2019, 03:51:06 PM »
I still don't understand the logic behind boosting the 32Hz frequency by 12 dB!!! That's 2.3 times perceived volume, which is just insane for ANY frequency, much less 32Hz, which few people need. An open E string on a bass guitar resonates at 41Hz. Even movie soundtrack editors don't boost 32Hz by that much. With an IMAX sound system, you'd kill people or at least make them feel like they're in the middle of an earthquake :)!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 08:24:48 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ton37

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2019, 04:03:34 PM »
That is also my concern, Lee. Pls. read the following post https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,52172.0.html , especially the contribution of @Robinez !
My best regards,
Ton

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor, StuartR

Offline Toril S

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2019, 07:13:57 PM »
In my case sound got better after the update😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2019, 07:26:18 PM »
In my case sound got better after the update😀

After updating, you will find the masters go to default settings (Flat I think) so maybe the latter give a better sound for you than the settings you had before. :)
In my case the sound was weaker and disappointing........ until I had reloaded the previous settings into EQ and Compressor and ensure they were selected.
John

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2019, 08:57:53 PM »
Thanks for the link, Ton! I tried out those new settings and am very pleased with the results.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2019, 10:59:28 PM »
I still don't understand the logic behind boosting the 32Hz frequency by 12 dB!!! That's 2.3 times perceived volume, which is just insane for ANY frequency, much less 32Hz, which few people need. An open E string on a bass guitar resonates at 41Hz. Even movie soundtrack editors don't boost 32Hz by that much. With an IMAX sound system, you'd kill people or at least make them feel like they're in the middle of an earthquake :)!

Lee
what is then your recommended value for the 32Hz frequency  . . . . 5.2  instead of 12 ?

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline elad770

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2019, 11:24:28 PM »
I can't make my Genos sounds good at all while recording

Is it I or the internal recorder is not the best for recordings?

I don't know if my EQ is messed up or I simply don't use the right equipment for recording

Please help me, guys! How do I record a studio-quality (Or as close as possible) tracks?

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2019, 12:32:04 AM »
Hi Al,
I don't use the 32Hz frequency. Where it resides on the EQ page, I changed it to 56Hz with a 4dB boost. I need that for my Bose Compact speakers because they only go down to 65Hz. The open E string on a bass guitar is 41Hz. Bassists seldom play an open E, so if you can achieve a bass note down to about 45Hz, you're winning.

Hi Elad,
To best answer your question, we need to know exactly how you record and with what equipment. For example, do you use an external program (DAW)? What sound interface do you own? What type of monitors do you use? What are the room characteristics where you record? What's your process?

The following users thanked this post: Al Ram

Offline elad770

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2019, 12:48:23 AM »
I have Yamaha Genos

I Have shure sm35 microphone

I'm in my basement

I hit the quick record button and that is all.

I have the JBL MkII Monitors

The sound when I actually play the keyboard is absolutely incredible, no matter what EQ I use. Amazing

However, the outcome of the Genos Recorder sounds so inferior and amateur in my regular Computer speakers and my car stereo system
Other youtube users I hear, their sound when I play their youtube video is absolutely incredible. I want my recording to produce the exact quality.
How can i achieve this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E16as0M_C7A&t=978s

What equipment and/or setup i should do? I'l do anything you'll tell me, I'm desperate

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2019, 01:01:46 AM »
Hi again, Elad.

There is a huge jump between the recording phase on the Genos and playback over a home stereo or computer speakers. When you record on the Genos, I assume (from your other post I just answered) that you're recording "flat." That is, you are not adding any EQ or compression to the recording. This is a wise move. What you're hearing on playback outside of your Genos is perfectly normal.

Making a finished sound that works on most stereos, takes a lot of practice and learning. It's best to import the raw wave file from your Genos into a DAW program. For finished recording, the Genos doesn't even scratch the surface in terms of the required tools. Once the recording is loaded into your DAW, you can use those tools to fine-tune the sound. Your JBL monitors are of good quality. If you can alter the sound of your imported wave file inside the DAW to make the sound really pleasing, chances are it will sound great over a home stereo.

Offline elad770

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2019, 01:10:32 AM »
Lee, It seems that you are an expert.

Can you create a shopping list for me as if you were about to buy it for yourlsef?
The absolute best:

For example:

- Cubase 10.5 ? DONE!
- Sound interface?
- What else?

Tell me and i will set it up.

Are you saying that i should simply export the Flat WAV file to Cubase for example and work on it?

So how come these guys on youtube make their live performance at such a high quality?

Please post everything you think i should have. I highly appreciate it!!!!

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2019, 01:39:38 PM »
Hi Elad,

Thank you for your kind words. There are several experts on this forum :). I haven't done any recording for a while because my time has been devoted to live gigs. Here's what I used for recording in the past:

Sound interface - Steinberg UR-44
DAW Software - Cubase Artist 8.0
Keyboard - Genos
Mixer - SoundCraft EFX 12
Monitors - Yamaha HS8

Robinez has some very excellent ideas in this post https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,52874.new.html#new. I think your easiest route is to record your audio on the Genos using the Flat EQ settings as Robinez describes, and then import your wave files to a DAW. I believe there are some free DAW software programs out there with which you can experiment but if you have the budget, you can buy Cubase. I say Cubase because it is owned by Yamaha, and is likely designed and developed with Yamaha products in mind - although why we don't have a dedicated DAW for the Genos yet is beyond my comprehension. I know of several forum members who would pay good money for that software!! As Robinez mentions in his very excellent articles, it takes a lot of practice and study to create excellent sounding recordings.

When you get into recording and mastering, the goal with your studio monitors is to create a final product that sounds fairly flat but also contains enhanced sounds for the instruments that are playing the melody or fill lines. Quality studio monitors can point out flaws in your recording that home stereo speakers often miss. In general, if your final song sounds good through your monitors it stands a good chance at sounding good through most home speakers. One mistake some people make is they assume that their studio monitors must sound just like their home stereo systems. Home stereo systems are EQed differently. Hope this helps to get you started.

One final note, YouTube videos are totally unreliable for judging sound quality. They are compressed so that they sound similar on most computer speaker systems. By "compressed" I mean that sudden loud sounds are squashed so they don't blow your speakers. Bass lines that are weak in places are also made louder. Add that all up and it sounds like someone spent a lot of time creating their YouTube video, when in fact it's more how YouTube processes your upload. I'd wager if you recorded a simple song on your Genos and uploaded it to YouTube, it wouldn't sound much different than a lot of the material already there from other Genos players.

Offline jugge

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2019, 01:57:34 PM »
Hi Elad,

An audio interface + Cubase will take you quite far. There are already lots of included VST plugin effects for both mixing and mastering in Cubase,
and there is also tons of other plugins you can get. However the builtin plugins will get you started and you might find them enough. 

Please note that their are different versions of Cubase. You will get more features and plugins with the more expensive versions.
I am using the Artist version and find it to be more than enough for my needs.

For audio interface, I just got the Zoom U-44 https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/production-recording/audio-interfaces/u-44-handy-audio-interface
and I am really happy with it. It is one of the most affordable interface with digital S/PDIF inputs. This means you can use the digital output from Genos and
record digital directly to your computer and the sound does not need to pass any A/D converters. Just note that this audio interface might not work with AMD
based computers (More info on Zoom page), but as long as you use an Intel based computer, it will work fine. (I use mine with an Intel NUC without any issues).

I was previously using a Yamaha AG 06 interface with only analogue inputs, but I experienced some noise on my recording so I decided to try a digital interface instead,
and for me, the recording result sounds the same as when I play on the Genos.
/Jugge
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 01:59:45 PM by jugge »
Welcome to Yamaha Beats. Genos and MODX covers on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9yKCzqlOhkulwHFF6P-_Vw

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2019, 02:59:12 PM »
Good post, Jugge. Elad, please post the details of your computer. You will need a pretty serious computer with lots of RAM. Most gaming computers are up to the task.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2019, 03:28:27 PM »
Hi
Try the bright setting with compression off.
Adjust the low end the mid and high by twisting the dials.
You soon find a sound that you like in the Bedroom.
I take any boominess out and , make sure it is not too toppy and the mids sound warm and not muddy.
It is good to experiment with your own lug holes!! :-X ;D.
Take your time and you can get to great sound going . Good Speakers helps also not the Genos ones with battery wires.
When going for recording then all should be recorded FLAT for finishing in Cubase . That is where the fun starts again!!
You can still get pretty good results on the keyboard itself and record.

All the Best
John
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline elad770

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2019, 03:33:26 PM »
I agree! Awesome post!

I was thinking of getting Steinberg UR44C or UR22C and the Cubase is included (The LE Version) which i can upgrade.

What do you think?

Offline elad770

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2019, 03:38:12 PM »
Ok, So....

When i perform  - Listening through speakers it will be a different setting - With the Compressor On and EQ settings to my liking - This part is covered and i LOVE what i hear

When recording for CUBASE:

Compressor OFF
EQ - Flat

add all these things later in Cubase? correct?

what about recording internally , Do yourecommand also Flat or EQ and compressor is fine? - Becasue through the speakers it does sound nicer when they are on

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2019, 04:03:44 PM »
Hi Elad
If you want the finish on the Genos then add EQ compression before recording .

I should think it will record the same as you hear, but when putting the song on a stereo or in the car it may sound not so good.
Also if your room acoustics are like mine in a square room you will sitting in the Bermuda Triangle of death!! ;D.
I have done some room acoustic panels and where i have a window ,i put wooden blinds in. they are to be angled at 45 degrees to scatter the unwanted frequencies.
When finished recording on the Genos for Cubase the sound is flat .
I purchased Sonarworks which calculates the sound for headphones and if you pay more you get the Reference speaker settings as well, by measuring with a microphone all the places the program suggests. Lots of beep, beeeps.!!! ;D
This worked 100% for me.
Being in a square room i have a tall foam panel each side of me at the rear of my chair on Microphone stands.
This stops the crossing frequencies that bounce of walls.
This is great for me as afterwards i just dismantle them and put away, so i can go back to the pleasurable playing on my main speakers .
I have Focal Alpha 50's for mixing and mastering.
I am not the best in the world yet as it is a long road to the holy grail.

My recomendation is -- Get your room acoustics as best as you can and it does not mean expensive. Wooden blinds for windows
                                    If you are looking to get a real decent job done ,go for Sonarworks .
                                    If you get the acoustic panels right it will make a 1000% difference
If to get all of that right your recordings should sound great on everything, once you crack the mix side of things.

My problem was too much bass on fiinshed recordings and muddy mids. . You have to get used to flat sound in the mix stage before Cubase.

In Cubase learn gainstaging (-12 to-18db) and all the hard work will disappear. It is a matter of the EQ, Compression and the nice things. I use my heaphones doing this with Sonarworks inserted into the master output channel Post. Not Pre. After that i finish on the speakers. Then use a limiter to adjust to -12/-14 LUFS  and then all should be go for listening on the stereo hi-fi and car.

Another big tip Elad if you have Cubase is use the Control room to put a pro song that you like on a track and then put your song on a track .
You can switch beween them  at a press of a button once set up . Not difficult to do this. Also you can check on the Decibels of your song and adjust with limiter.
As I have said i am still learning and have been for six months in Cubase now. KEEP AT IT, It's fun!!! 8) 8)
Paul White put me right from Sound on Sound magazine.He came down to see me personally.
This goes for anyone if they are having a difficulty with their acoustics
Write to Sound on Sound and you may have a visit!! HOME STUDIO SECTION All for a cup of tea and a packet of chocolate  'HOB NOBS'
Also thanks to Tommy 73 for putting me on to Paul White and Sound on Sound.
It put me on the right track baby!!! :) :)

All the best
john :)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 04:31:57 PM by ugawoga »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2019, 04:06:51 PM »
Master EQ settings are set to ones own personal taste and what speakers or headphones are used to listen.  There is no such thing as a perfect or optimal setting for everyone.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Esa

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2019, 04:40:29 PM »
I use Eq Gold gain level 3, I think it's good for me. I have a Behringer B2030A speaker and a Yamaha Active Subwoofer YST-SW012.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2019, 04:41:18 PM »
Hi
Anyone who wants to put some room acoustic panels  up in their room , but has opposition from Queen Bee /the wife , do not despair.
It is going to ruin the walls, "**** no"!!! the wife says!!!

TIP to get your own way------------ On back of foam acoustic panel strategically glue two cd's
                                                      Drill two small holes and rawplug . put a couple of screws in

You can now hang acoustic panel up like a picture using the middle holes in the CD's

A stroke of genius without upsetting Queen Bee!!

Offline elad770

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2019, 04:47:59 PM »
It's A good idea ugawoga!

I'm in the process of moving. In my new house, I think I will do it

Offline pjd

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2019, 06:26:29 PM »
Master EQ settings are set to ones own personal taste and what speakers or headphones are used to listen.  There is no such thing as a perfect or optimal setting for everyone.

Joe H

Amen to that! Count me in the flat earth, er, flat EQ school.

-- pj

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2019, 06:28:55 PM »
Thanks to all contributors to this exchange.

I have the same problem . . . I like the Genos sound when playing live . . . . . . however, my recordings in Genos are lacking quality.   I always thought that i was doing something not quite right when recording directly into Genos.   Now, thanks to this post exchange i understand that recording is a completely different thing than playing live and simply recording into Genos.

Not sure, that i understand all the pieces required for recording or that i will learn soon. It looks very challenging with all the pieces involved, DAW, sound interface, etc.  things that i do not even know the names . . . . .  but at least now i understand that recording directly into Genos will not provide the quality i am looking for.

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2019, 07:53:00 PM »
Hi Al

It Is a pain when you record something and it does not sound the same when you play on other equipment. It is so important to have the right listening environment.
You can do most work on headphones and finish on monitors and calculated by Sonarworks if the money is not to much.
Acoustic treatment and sonarworks and Cubase (or similar) is the way to go with plenty of hard learning to do.
It just takes a little time to get used to a flat recording, but once in a daw like Cubase it all comes clear when applying EQ, Compression etc.
Gainstaging is also important to save later headaches as it will give you mixing headroom
All the Best
john :)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 07:56:06 PM by ugawoga »

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2019, 10:05:09 PM »
We mustn't confuse the two topics here: recording and playing live (either at home or a gig).

I believe Elad wants to optimize his recordings. I say record the Genos with EVERYTHING set flat and no compression. Even Cubase LE probably has more audio editing power than the Genos. After he gets his feet wet with Cubase LE and the money is right, he can upgrade to a more robust version of Cubase.

Offline Dave Nuttall

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2019, 11:42:58 AM »
My Genos is en-route (purchased about 14 hrs ago!).

Is the consensus:
- record flat on Genos with no compression
- adjust EQ in DAW?

What purpose does the audio interface serve when you can import the WAV or other audio into the DAW?

I have ProTools on Win10/64.
TIA.
Dave
Genos, ProTools, Cubase AI10, Win10,  BIAB-2022, Sibelius Ultimate, MixMaster, PRSUTI, StyleMagic, StyleWorks, and Baldwin SF-10 acoustic piano.

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2019, 01:18:47 PM »
Hi Dave,

A quality sound interface is not only required during recording but also for playback. The standard sound card we get in our computers is fine for YouTube videos or other such audio tracks from the internet. For studio-quality production, a decent sound interface is the way to go - especially if you want to add vocal tracks later.

Offline Dave Nuttall

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2019, 01:32:36 PM »
A quality sound interface is not only required during recording but also for playback. The standard sound card we get in our computers is fine for YouTube videos or other such audio tracks from the internet. For studio-quality production, a decent sound interface is the way to go - especially if you want to add vocal tracks later.

If I add vocals to an existing backing track, I connect my 8-ch Focusrite to the ProTools PC and add up to 8 mics at a time.  So, I guess I already have the audio interface which can play back thru the audio interface or the local PC (but not both simultaneously).

Does that sound correct?
Thanks, Lee.
d.
Genos, ProTools, Cubase AI10, Win10,  BIAB-2022, Sibelius Ultimate, MixMaster, PRSUTI, StyleMagic, StyleWorks, and Baldwin SF-10 acoustic piano.

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2019, 01:51:44 PM »
Hi Dave,

Focusrite interfaces are very good. If I understand you correctly, you want to know if you should use your PC sound card or the Focusrite for playback? Definitely the Focusrite.

Which studio monitors do you use?

Offline Dave Nuttall

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2019, 02:35:41 PM »
Which studio monitors do you use?

I have Samson Rubicon and M-Audio BX5a's

« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2019, 02:37:37 PM »
I'd say you're good to go, Dave :).

The following users thanked this post: Dave Nuttall

Offline Toril S

« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2019, 11:16:43 PM »
The Focusrite is super!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page