Author Topic: A new Genos update V 2.0 has arrived  (Read 9979 times)

Offline ckobu

A new Genos update V 2.0 has arrived
« on: November 15, 2019, 07:58:12 AM »
https://europe.yamaha.com/en/support/updates/firm_genos.html

[V1.41 to V2.00]

-A new Chord Looper function is available.

-Improved the layout and operations on the Style Creator display.

-You can now use the Style Section Reset function by pressing the [TAP TEMPO] button.

-You can now select whether the Song is changed or not when you press the [PREV] button on the Song Setting display.

-You can now configure the Crossfade in the Mono Type in the Voice Edit display.

-You can now configure the Portamento Time Type on the Voice Edit display.

-You can now select the next Song in the middle of Song playback.

-You can now configure the parameters of Multi Pad 1-4 Part (using as the Audio Link Multi pad) in the Mixer display.

-You can now configure the "Part On/Off" of AUX In Audio and the "Part On/Off" of Wireless LAN Audio in the Mixer display.

-Improved the Scale Tune function.

You can now access the Scale Tune function from the Menu display.
You can now set a temporary scale by the Sub Scale function.
-New System Exclusive messages corresponding to the Scale Tune function have been added.

-You can now call up the Insertion Effect Setting display in the Mic Setting display.

-You can now assign new parameters to the controllers in the Live Control and Assignable displays.

-You can now call up the Chord Looper and Assignable displays by the Direct Access function.

-You can now configure the outputs of the Audio Song and the Voice Guide Sound/Wireless LAN Audio in the Line Out display.

-You can now store the Assign Type of Live Control to Registration Memory.

-You can now sort the Playlist.

-Now supports use with the Yamaha Expansion Manager (V2.6.0 or later).

-Changes: The range of the Time Signature setting has been expanded.

-Changes: You can have the MIDI Song that is selected on the Dual Player opened automatically when you call up the MIDI Multi Recording function.

-Changes: You can register the Voice and Style of User drive to the Favorite tab.

-Changes: Improved the method of selecting Parts on the Mixer display.

-Changes: The Tuning display has been separated into the Master tune display and the Scale Tune display.

-Changes: You can now configure whether to apply the Scale Tune to each part individually for Right 1, Right 2 and Right 3, in the Scale Tune display.

-Changes: The menu display layout has been reorganized due to the addition of new functions.

-Changes: The maximum number of User Effects which can be saved has been expanded.

-Changes: The maximum number of letters in the name of User Effects and the name of MIDI Settings has been expanded.

-Changes: The maximum size of Expansion Voice has been increased to approx. 3 GB.

-Changes: The Voice Guide function supports display changes of this version. Please download the latest Voice Guide file from the product site to ensure that the additional sounds work properly.

-Changes: Improved the response of the Tap Tempo controls.

-Fixed a problem in which the Audio Song parameters were not properly saved to Registration Memory in certain situations.

-Fixed a problem in which certain Music Finder Record files of Tyros series could not be imported.

-Fixed other problems.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 08:00:35 AM by ckobu »
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: pchan

Offline overover

➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline valimaties

Re: A new Genos update V 2.0 has arrived
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 08:07:22 AM »
Notice:
After you’ve updated the firmware to this version, the System, MIDI, User Effect, and Registration data are initialized the first time you start up again.

• Save the MIDI Setup File and User Effect Setup file before updating, and load after updating.
  • Save Registrations to the file before updating.
  • Even if you save the System Setup file before updating, it cannot be loaded after updating.
  • If you save the Backup data before updating and restore it after updating, the System, MIDI, User Effect and Registration data will not be restored.

I don't understand: first it tells you to save the Midi Setup and User Effects Setup, and the last one said that cannot be restored. What means that?

PS: I am very curious of Style Creator improvements...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 08:10:55 AM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline ckobu

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 08:17:35 AM »
@valimaties- If I understand correctly, you have to make a copy of everything on your computer.
Connect Genos to a computer with a USB flash drive. Hold down PLAYLIST and turn on Genos and your computer will see USER keyboards as external USB.
Watch my video channel

Offline reya

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 08:41:17 AM »
I don't understand: first it tells you to save the Midi Setup and User Effects Setup, and the last one said that cannot be restored. What means that?

Sounds confusing to me too.

My interpretation is ...
Save all these things to disk (internal memory/usb stick) before upgrading. (They probably will be converted to a new format during the upgrade process).
And then reload (select them again) them after upgrading, as the ones loaded (in memory) will be initialized (set to defaults) during the upgrade process.
These things cannot be restored from backups taken on older firmware versions (due to the conversion), so we will need to make new backups when on v2.00

But that is my interpretation ....

Best regards
Rudy
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 08:45:44 AM by reya »
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets

Offline valimaties

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 09:02:11 AM »
@ckobu: I read something now on Reference Manual, Page 44. If you are at home and can make the update, please you can try it:

Creating Subscale (terca): Make your Main Scale with Base Note on C and activate only Right1, and activate Subscale and make base note as E, and activate Right2. Set those correct tune for each note in SubScale, an you can achieve Terca, I think.
Note: as I read the Subscale cannot be saved, so you can make the settings in subscale for MainScale, and use Main Scale for Right2, deactivating Right1. Main Scale can be saved in registrations, so we could make registrations for each chord ;)

Please try!

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline John T4

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 09:03:30 AM »
where are the extra voices and styles..???
i thought it might be a pack but no sign on the site

Offline valimaties

« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 09:11:43 AM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline John T4

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 09:11:33 AM »
thanks

Offline robinez

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 09:14:46 AM »
TIP!

I've backupped my user effect settings before upgrading (as stated in the manual) and restored them in the 2.0 genos version. After restoring the user effect settings you won't find them in the user effect slots. You have to reboot the genos to see them. So after restoring your user settings, power down the genos and when you restart it the settings will be there again.

Offline overover

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 09:19:02 AM »
I don't understand: first it tells you to save the Midi Setup and User Effects Setup, and the last one said that cannot be restored. What means that? ...

Hi Vali,

a Genos Backup file (.bup) contains:

• the user-defined System settings
• the user-defined MIDI settings
• the User Effect settings
• the complete content of the User drive (with or without Audiofiles, as stated by the user before)

The System, MIDI and User Effect settings can also be saved as individual files (System Setup file, MIDI Setup file and User Effect Setup file).

When you save a Backup file (.bup) with a Version before 2.00 and restore this file after updating to V2.00, the user-defined System settings, MIDI settings and User Effect Settings will NOT be restored.

They say that also the "Registration data" will not be restored, but I guess that only the current Reg Bank data is meant here. This data will be lost if not saved to a Bank file, before updating.

I also guess, that the content of the User drive is NOT affected by the Update, because they say "IF you save the Backup data before updating and restore it after updating, ..." (But of course it can not hurt to backup the user drive completely beforehand (preferably in USB storage mode.) ;)

So, the only thing that is LOST are the User System Settings. They could be backed up, but this file is useless, because it can NOT be restored on V2.00.

Therefore, I recommend to write down (or make pictures from) your important user-defined System settings (for example Initial Touch, Parameter Lock settings, Song settings, Style settings and so on), before updating.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 10:11:31 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: pjd

Offline valimaties

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2019, 09:24:28 AM »
Therefore, I recommend to write down (or make pictures from) your important user-defined System settings (for example Initial Touch, Parameter Lock settings, Song settings, Style settings and so on, before updating.

Best regards,
Chris

Thanks Chris,
I really thought of that, making pictures, because is timeless operation.

Thank you!

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline ckobu

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2019, 09:41:54 AM »
This is how you can make a copy of USER to your computer.

https://youtu.be/tyD_uIcYmCY

This is how the upgrade procedure for Version 2 looks like.
Of course, you must download the Update first, unzip it and put the file at the root of the USB stick.

https://youtu.be/cQueM4rfQwU

Watch my video channel

Offline Keyboardister

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 10:45:52 AM »
Why do I still see 1.7 on my new YEM? isnt it supposed to be 3? should I reupload my instrument file?
Genos

Offline valimaties

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2019, 10:49:34 AM »
Why do I still see 1.7 on my new YEM? isnt it supposed to be 3? should I reupload my instrument file?

I said already on a topic opened for this problem.

The information about memory is stored in n27 file.
Remove current Genos from YEM and reimport your n27 file exported with 2.0 version.

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline valimaties

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2019, 10:53:44 AM »
And, BTW

A big Thank you Yamaha !!!

Vali Maties - Genos

The following users thanked this post: Chris79

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2019, 11:07:33 AM »

You must re-export new info from Genos 2.0 and put it into YEM.
See my YEM!
Genos + Motif XS7
More video about Genos: https://www.youtube.com/c/MaiDinhThangMusic

Offline ckobu

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2019, 11:39:00 AM »
I did not have to re-enter Info Information. I just upgraded YEM to 2.6 and everything was available as before.
Watch my video channel

Offline valimaties

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2019, 11:46:36 AM »
When YEM starts, if you have your keyboard connected to the same network as your PC, YEM will automatically update Genos information in program. If your keyboard is not connected to wireless network, you have to export information file from Genos on a USB stick and to re-import it in YEM.

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline ckobu

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2019, 12:33:52 PM »
@ckobu: I read something now on Reference Manual, Page 44. If you are at home and can make the update, please you can try it:

Creating Subscale (terca): Make your Main Scale with Base Note on C and activate only Right1, and activate Subscale and make base note as E, and activate Right2. Set those correct tune for each note in SubScale, an you can achieve Terca, I think.
Note: as I read the Subscale cannot be saved, so you can make the settings in subscale for MainScale, and use Main Scale for Right2, deactivating Right1. Main Scale can be saved in registrations, so we could make registrations for each chord ;)

Please try!

Regards,
Vali

Vali - unfortunately, you will not be able to do as you assume. :( SubScale has no Base note and SubScale is totally unusable because it is not remembered in the Registration.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Watch my video channel

Offline metcam

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2019, 02:00:04 PM »
Vali - unfortunately, you will not be able to do as you assume. :( SubScale has no Base note and SubScale is totally unusable because it is not remembered in the Registration.

I tried back in August to mension that what is now:

TERCA

Yamaha added to NEW SX-900/700  a Sub scale which is only HALF job done to have 100% perfect and accured "Terca"

To have Perfect options to have Terca this whats ned to be done in NEXT update for SX-900/700 and Next GENOS2:

1. Note shift to all individuals tones +/-12 separate for R1,R2,R3
2.Tuning scale individual for R1,R2,R3 (SUB scale in new SX-900/700)
3.Base note-which we already have
4. Posability to memorized in Reg.Memory all

Something as this picture show:

note shift.jpeg (21.91 kB, 800x480 - viewed 873 times.)
Curent Instruments:  PSR A-5000
Previus instruments:SX-900,GENOS,PSR-A3000,PSR9000,Tyros2,Tyros3,TYROS5,psr2000,psr2100,psr1500,psr530,psr OR700,DX7,DX11,V50,DX21.
KORG:pa800,KORG PA-900,Triton Extreme,Triton rack,.KORG X3,Roland G600.Roland

Offline Dnj

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2019, 02:16:54 PM »
what are the names of the new styles?

Offline ckobu

Watch my video channel

Online Toril S

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2019, 02:21:24 PM »
Dumb question: Are the new styles a part of the update, or do we have to install the pack?
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline BartW

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2019, 02:28:53 PM »
Dumb question: Are the new styles a part of the update, or do we have to install the pack?

The pack is NOT part of firmware update. It is installed separately using YEM.

Offline Stijn

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2019, 02:35:46 PM »
@Toril

Open this page
https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/genos/downloads.html#product-tabs

and scroll down to the page Manuals to download the updated manuals
and scroll down to the page Other Downloads to download the GENOS V2.0 SUPERIOR PACK .... and all other nice packs if you haven't done so yet.

don't forget the Bonus Playlist for Genos V2.0 Superior Pack

and of course you also need to download and install the updated Yamaha Expansion Manager to create the Superior Pack.

Stijn
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 02:37:19 PM by Stijn »
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

The following users thanked this post: Toril S

Offline Gmaniek

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2019, 02:46:57 PM »
We have first video with new upgrade Genos ver 2.0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA-kwr_wJdM

Online Toril S

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2019, 02:53:15 PM »
Thanks guys😀
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 03:02:20 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Dnj

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2019, 02:59:41 PM »
easy update to v2.0 on Genos  took just few minutes..

Online Toril S

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2019, 03:04:45 PM »
I too got the error message first time I powered up, but now it is gone. Left the USB in, that is maybe why it showed up.
Now to the feared YEM thing. A first for me, believe it or not. But I just have to get around to it!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2019, 03:35:38 PM »
Sadly, YEM 2.6 still uses a tiny interface like a mosquito's eye. It is difficult to work on the waves layer.

Genos + Motif XS7

Offline valimaties

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2019, 04:24:39 PM »

Yes man, I tried right now. I thought (as they says in manual) that Base Note will transpose the notes. I thought if you change Base note from C to E, C will become E, D will became F# and so on, but is not happening. It has some patterns , based on Type (Pure Major, Pure Minor, and so on) .
So, yes, NO Terca :(

We will wait again... :(

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Nickt5

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2019, 05:31:58 PM »
Its noticed that when you make a pack with Expansion Manager the file extension is .cqi
Haven't seen his before.

Carlos84

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2019, 05:41:38 PM »
i did the instal , its say its fine 2.0 but i not got the music pack , its not  there ,i did a format and a total reset ,but stil not extra  music ? i don't underhand 

Offline Stijn

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2019, 05:55:14 PM »
You have to download the Extra music, and make an installation pack by using the new version of YEM (Yamaha Registration Manager).
Extra music is NOT included in the update 2.0.

link:  https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/genos/downloads.html#product-tabs

page: Firmware / Software:  download Yamaha Expansion Manager V2.6.0
scroll down....
page Other Downloads: download GENOS V2.0 SUPERIOR PACK and Bonus Playlist for Genos V2.0 Superior Pack

install Yamaha Expansion Manager V2.6.0 on your PC and make an installation pack with  GENOS V2.0 SUPERIOR PACK

Tutorial YEM = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdMMqEcKwz4&feature=youtu.be

Stijn

Offline ckobu

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2019, 06:06:06 PM »
Its noticed that when you make a pack with Expansion Manager the file extension is .cqi
Haven't seen his before.

Pack Quick Installation file * .pqi is a fast way to type in keyboard content only for files that we have added to an already installed Pack.
Watch my video channel

Offline Stijn

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2019, 06:19:39 PM »
The first Pack Installation after the 2.0 Update must be done with a .cpi version of the pack, in other words a 'fresh install'. Afterwards you can add packs to the Expansion memory without the need of formatting the memory.

You make a .cpi version of your pack by Saving it (in YEM) to the USB drive, like this:

Save As Pack Install File:
Save As: select Pack Installation File (*.cpi)

To add new packs later, you can then Save As: Pack Quick Installation (*.cqi)

Stijn

Online Bill

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2019, 08:37:26 PM »
Now to the feared YEM thing. A first for me, believe it or not. But I just have to get around to it!

Hi Toril

If you don”t feel up to coping with YEM just yet, and you do not have any other packs installed, you can use the CPI file included in the download and simply put it on a USB stick and install it directly from the keyboard.

Regards

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline soryt

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2019, 08:58:38 PM »
It is a really nice update, but again Yamaha forgot again to add the Rotary control to the external foot controller (Mfc10) ☹️

Soneg 😎
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Online Toril S

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2019, 10:19:29 PM »
Hello Bill! Thank you for that information! I managed to get it wll to work in YEM after some trial and error, and good advice from you friends here on this wonderful forum :)
Toril S

and PSR-47.

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2019, 02:01:45 AM »
As I expected, Yamaha has redistributed the memory, removing 1Gb of memory from the partition for AUDIO STYLE to expand for Expansion Waves.
As shown in the picture: The total of the installation package is still 4Gb.

Genos + Motif XS7

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2019, 05:42:25 AM »
Thank you all

very good comments and instructions to prepare for the update.  I will do it sometime in the next couple of weeks.

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline metcam

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2019, 01:06:06 PM »
Yes man, I tried right now. I thought (as they says in manual) that Base Note will transpose the notes. I thought if you change Base note from C to E, C will become E, D will became F# and so on, but is not happening. It has some patterns , based on Type (Pure Major, Pure Minor, and so on) .
So, yes, NO Terca :(

We will wait again... :(

Yes Vali we will continue to wait.
I am very happy with V2, the best update ever happened on Yamaha. A lot of total new things  but still no TERCA or easier understanding name "USER HARMONY SCALE"
SUB scale is total useless and the ONLY thing on V2 what not make me happy. The way better was if YAMAHA just extended "cents" on MAIN SCALE TUNE from: +/- 63  up to +/- 100. In that case we don't need SUB scale.
SO one more time this picture explain:

WITH +/- 100 scale tune or:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 04:47:15 PM by metcam »
Curent Instruments:  PSR A-5000
Previus instruments:SX-900,GENOS,PSR-A3000,PSR9000,Tyros2,Tyros3,TYROS5,psr2000,psr2100,psr1500,psr530,psr OR700,DX7,DX11,V50,DX21.
KORG:pa800,KORG PA-900,Triton Extreme,Triton rack,.KORG X3,Roland G600.Roland