Author Topic: Installed Expansion Packs  (Read 8967 times)

Offline rgw

Installed Expansion Packs
« on: November 11, 2019, 02:50:08 PM »
The SX900 came with 4 Expansion Packs pre-installed. These are of no interest to me. Does anyone know how I can delete them or uninstall them please.

Richard.

Offline EileenL

Re: Installed Expansion Packs
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 02:57:43 PM »
Hi Richard,
  The easiest way is to load in a pack or packs you want to use. This will over right the ones you don't want.

Offline rgw

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 05:05:49 PM »
Hi Eileen,

Thanks for the Tip. However I don't really want to have any expansion packs at all. So what should I do now?

Regards,

Richard.

Offline ton37

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 07:06:57 PM »
Hi Richard, you could use YEM. Untick the packs you don't want. In your case, all of them. Then save this as a Packinstallation file. It wil format your Expansion Memory and you now have an empty Expansion.
Or you can simply let the packs on your Expansion Memory and don't use them/ignore them?
My best regards,
Ton

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 07:40:05 PM »
Hi Eileen,

Thanks for the Tip. However I don't really want to have any expansion packs at all. So what should I do now? ...

Hi Richard,

I have just made a special Pack Install file for you. When you install this .ppi file on your SX900, all previous installed Expansion content is deleted. In the "Expansion" folder in User drive, there will be only one Pack folder (named "-") containing one (empty) Voice (also named "-").

• Download the attached zip file to your computer an unzip the file.

• Copy the unzipped file "PSR-SX900_PackInstallData.ppi" to a USB stick.

• On SX900 select [Menu] ---> Expansion ---> Pack Installation

• Select the Pack Install file on the stick and follow the instructions on the screen to install the file.

• Press [Direct Access] ---> [Exit] to come back to the Home display. :)

Hope this helps!

P.S.
If you should change your mind, you can download the originally pre-installed Packs again. (If desired, you can install only individual contents of a particular package.)

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx900/vse.html#product-tabs

P.P.S.
Another method to "delete" the Expansion content is to simply FORMAT the internal USER drive. (This is also mentioned in the SX900 Reference Manual, page 134.)
CAUTION: All User Data will be DELETED when formatting the User drive!

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 07:59:02 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline rgw

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 08:02:05 PM »
A big thank you to Ton and Chris,

I don't have the YEM Software etc so Chris I will give your suggestions a go.

Best wishes,
Richard.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 12:52:31 AM »
It is not the user drive you want to format. It is the flash memory which is a different thing.

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 02:12:13 AM »
It is not the user drive you want to format. It is the flash memory which is a different thing.

Yes, Eileen, in principle you are right, but the Expansion Wave memory can NOT be formatted without installing at least a minimum of new content. Let me explain what I meant, a bit more detailed: :)

The folder named "Expansion" (where are stored for example the Styles, Multi Pads or included Registrations of the Expansion Packs and also the .VCE files of the Expansion VOICES) is, first of all, what a "normal" user sees (and possibly wants to delete, if he basically does NOT want to use Expansion content).

But this folder (which is located in the User drive on SX and PSR-S models) can NOT be deleted by the user, and therefore it is even suggested in the Manual, just to format the User drive, if you want to "delete" all Expansion content.

Of course, the Wave samples of the Expansion Voices (in the Expansion Wave memory) will remain unchanged, but that does not bother. (The user has what he wants, namely, he "sees" no Expansion content anymore ... ;))

P.S.
I would never format the User drive, only to remove the "Expansion" folder, of course. But as the saying goes: "The customer is king." ;)

In other words: If a user does not use Expansion content and doesn't want to "see" any Expansion Packs on the keyboard, then one should allow him to do so.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 02:37:22 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 09:02:13 AM »
Hi.
I'm just very curious about why, and wondering about what's the advantage or purpose to delete the preinstalled packs even if not use any of it?
As long as the packs is placed in the 'Expansion folder' and uses 'dedicated flashmemory', and even if delete or format, I guess the Expansion folder still will be visible in the user group, but empty?
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline EileenL

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 01:27:45 PM »
You only see the files in user when you press the expansion button. The thing is if you don't want to use the free content just leave it where it is. If later you decide to use a pack then it will take these packs off.

Offline rgw

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 02:31:55 PM »
Hi.
I'm just very curious about why, and wondering about what's the advantage or purpose to delete the preinstalled packs even if not use any of it?
As long as the packs is placed in the 'Expansion folder' and uses 'dedicated flashmemory', and even if delete or format, I guess the Expansion folder still will be visible in the user group, but empty?

Hi GJ,
When you format the User Drive the Expansion part disappears altogether. This is what I wanted.

Regards,
Richard.

The following users thanked this post: Gunnar Jonny

Offline rgw

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 02:37:55 PM »
You only see the files in user when you press the expansion button. The thing is if you don't want to use the free content just leave it where it is. If later you decide to use a pack then it will take these packs off.

Hi Eileen,
I have several voices saved in Folders and the quickest way for me to activate them is to press the Voice User/Expansion Button. As I don't use Expansion Packs I found it irritatiing to see Expansion when I only wanted to see User! But I'm happy now as I no longer see Expansion thanks to the Forum Members advice.

Best wishes,
Richard.