Author Topic: Mic DSP problem  (Read 5082 times)

Offline OmbDave

Mic DSP problem
« on: November 10, 2019, 02:46:22 PM »
Hi, I have a strange problem with midi files where I have added a DSP echo effect to give a 50's/60's feel to the vocals. The problem is that when the song has finished and I press the TALK option, it does not stop the echo effect which is not desired whilst talking to the audience. The only way I've found to stop it is to choose another song which doesn't have the DSP But this is not easy on the fly. Can anyone help please
Dave
Yamaha Genos
Korg i3 (2021)
Yamaha Tyros3
Roland Alpha Juno
Pearl Drums, Paiste & Avedis Zildjian Cymbals
HK Audio Polar10

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Mic DSP problem
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 07:35:05 PM »
Hi, I have a strange problem with midi files where I have added a DSP echo effect to give a 50's/60's feel to the vocals. The problem is that when the song has finished and I press the TALK option, it does not stop the echo effect which is not desired whilst talking to the audience. The only way I've found to stop it is to choose another song which doesn't have the DSP But this is not easy on the fly. Can anyone help please

If you’ve modified the midi file to add the DSP at the beginning, can’t you make similar modifications to turn off the DSP at the end?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline OmbDave

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 09:55:13 AM »
Fred, thank you for your reply. I have added the echo in the mixer which adds it to the whole song so I don't know how to remove the DSP effect (Echo) only at the very end of the midi.
Dave
Yamaha Genos
Korg i3 (2021)
Yamaha Tyros3
Roland Alpha Juno
HK Audio Polar10

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 01:18:06 PM »
Doesn't the Talk function have its own DPSs? When the MIDI song is finished and you press the Talk button, wouldn't the Talk DSPs override the MIDI song DSPs?
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline OmbDave

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 03:13:27 PM »
Hi Lee, yes you would expect it to but it doesn't always, usually the DSP(Echo) is still on after pressing the talk function. My midi files were created on a Tyros3 and it sometimes happened on that too
Dave
Yamaha Genos
Korg i3 (2021)
Yamaha Tyros3
Roland Alpha Juno
HK Audio Polar10

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 03:33:10 PM »
Okay then. You probably need to insert a Controller message that cancels the DSP, on the fourth beat of the last bar. Fred is correct in my opinion :).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 03:50:54 PM »
Hi Dave,

How did you add the Echo DSP to the MIDI?   You said that you used the Mixer, but are you sure that you then embedded the command into the MIDI data using the 'Setup' function on the 'Channel' page of Song Creator?

Are you using a registration to load the MIDI?  If so, could the Echo DSP be memorised in this and being activated from it, rather than from the MIDI file?

Why not post one of the MIDIs that produces this problem.  I'm sure that someone will look inside it to see if there is a way of preventing it happening.

Regards

Ian

Offline OmbDave

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 04:50:50 PM »
Hi Ian, thanks for replying, yes I added the echo in the mixer settings whilst in song creator then saved the changes in setup with Vocal settings ticked, just as I would do with the Reverb for my other songs but TALK over rides the Reverb ok but not the Echo on the Rock n Roll songs
I have never used Registrations so it's not that which is causing it. I am happy to load a midi file for you to check but I'll have to learn how to as I've never done it to this forum
Cheers
Dave
Dave
Yamaha Genos
Korg i3 (2021)
Yamaha Tyros3
Roland Alpha Juno
HK Audio Polar10

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 08:43:56 PM »
Hi Dave,

I have just added reverb and a Echo DSP to the Mic channel (using fx block 20) then embedded them in a MIDI on my Genos .

Now, when it loads, it sets up the effects, but at the end of the song it does not change them or disable them, so they stay active until you do something that changes them.

However whenever  I turn on 'Talk' using the panel button, neither reverb or Echo are applied to the Mic channel, which is what you would expect!  So I don't know why you don't get the same result!

What firmware version is installed in your Genos?   If you are using an early version perhaps there was a bug in it.  Mine is ver. 1.41, which is currently the latest, but there is a new version ver. 2 expected to be released tomorrow (Friday 15th November).

Regards

Ian

Offline OmbDave

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 10:42:13 AM »
Hi Ian, many thanks for your help. What you have done is exactly what I need to happen but the echo stays on after talk is pressed ( by a foot switch). If you don't mind I will post one of the midis where it happens to see if you get the same problem. I am not near my PC today, just on iPad so I will do it tomorrow.
I have only had the Genos for just over a month and I had the dealer (A C Hamilton Preston U K) install 1.41 when I got it.
Thanks once again
Dave
Dave
Yamaha Genos
Korg i3 (2021)
Yamaha Tyros3
Roland Alpha Juno
HK Audio Polar10

Offline OmbDave

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2019, 07:32:46 PM »
To Ian (tyrosaurus)
Sorry for the delay in replying Ian but I’ve been working a lot lately and not had time to visit the forum. I have found the reason for the problem and the solution.
I seem to have got the DSP (echo) set in two different places, firstly in the mixer settings saved to the midi and also in the Master Mic settings, when I removed the latter I still had echo in the midi but now the talk button removes it when pressed.
Thank you so much for your help as you set me off on the right path to find it
Cheers
Dave
Dave
Yamaha Genos
Korg i3 (2021)
Yamaha Tyros3
Roland Alpha Juno
HK Audio Polar10