Author Topic: pleasant impressions of the SX900  (Read 10531 times)

Offline ektor_s900

pleasant impressions of the SX900
« on: November 10, 2019, 06:59:37 AM »
Hello to all the friends of PSRTUTORIAL, well 2 days ago I had the SX900 in my hands, and I am pleasantly pleased, I acquired a friend but I managed to enjoy it.
My 10 impressions were:
1. The keyboard or keys: It is noted that they are not the same keys that are in the PSR-S975 and that they come from the PSR-730.
2. The third voice is very necessary and great for those of us who use several voices in the right panel, it reminds me of the PSR-510 that you can play 4 voices, 2 left and 2 right.
3. The touch screen leaves me pleased, only if you have to give an outdoor serenade and get to drizzle or serene touch and go and serenade acapela.
4) The SX900 that I have does not have Bluetooth is confused in the manual says that menu 2 if the Bluetooth icon does not appear the keyboard does not have it, then I ask myself a question for what countries or continents the SX900 comes with Bluetooth, I am in South America but the keyboard was brought from the US.
5. When he loaded some packs, the ones he brought were deleted, and to keep them on the internal disk, he played 1 by 1. Very ugly.
6. The design is nice.
7. I don't like them to be rubber buttons, they wear out fast, I wanted buttons like the PSR-3000, TYROS 1-2-3-4-5 or PSR-S670.
8. It has a powerful and pleasant sound and more with the Revo system.
9. I did not find a way to take the voice off the MP3 or advance time or delay as in the S975.
10. The menu is more complex because of the tactile but with time one adapts.

Now thinking well of Yamaha I have seen that each generation that has taken them has taken them to 5 teams, I explained the 1st generation was from the PSR-730 to the PSR-3000.
The next generation was from the PSR-S900 to the PSR-S975 and now we start this new generation called X.
PSR-SX900.
I explain the generations, from the PSR-730, Yamaha takes out another keyboard similar to this but is called the younger brother look at the first generations:
1. PSR-630 / PSR-730
2. PSR-640 / PSR-740
3. PSR-1000 / PSR-2000
4. PSR-1100 / PSR-2100
5. PSR-1500 / PSR-3000
Now second generation called "S" of Synthesizer or Super.
6. PSR-S700 / PSR-S900
7. PSR-S710 / PSR-S910
8. PSR-S750 / PSR-S950
9. PSR-S770 / PSR-S970
10. PSR-S775 / PSR-S975
Now we enter the Genration "X" Motif ??? or what can X mean?
And finally someone knows or has heard because Yamaha is still in line of the 900, because not to put SX1000 and SX800, those numbers lead us to think that an SX910, SX950, SX970 will come out like this ...
Greetings and blessings to all.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Ektor PSR-510-630-740-3k-S900-GW8L-S910-S970

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline ektor_s900

Re: pleasant impressions of the SX900
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 07:02:09 AM »
new photo

rcpilot

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 12:22:15 AM »
So is it fact that the PSR series now the SX900 buttions will wear out fast? I have not heard this, but maybe true??
I like them because they are quiet and the Tyros buttons are loud, so in quiet passage of song if you push any of the buttons a loud click/clack happens...I play more of that type music....and I always thought the Tyros buttons were way to loud???

What does all of you think/experience?
Thanks,
Lee

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 06:12:17 AM »
Hi ektor_s900,

1. The keyboard or keys: It is noted that they are not the same keys that are in the PSR-S975 and that they come from the PSR-730.

The SX keys should com from the PSR-730? To my knowledge, the "FSB" keyboard of the SX900/700 was newly developed for the SX series:

5. When he loaded some packs, the ones he brought were deleted, and to keep them on the internal disk, he played 1 by 1. Very ugly.
It is absolutely normal that the preinstalled Packs are deleted when installing new Expansion Content and you not have additionally imported the preinstalled Packs to the YEM (and also selected those Packs in the YEM).

Please download the preinstalled Packs (.cpf format) here again and import the one(s) you want to keep to the YEM:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx900/vse.html#product-tabs

Make sure ALL Packs you want to install on the SX900 have a light green checkmark symbol in YEM.

9. I did not find a way to take the voice off the MP3 or advance time or delay as in the S975.

For "Vocal Cancel", "Time Stretch" and "Pitch Shift" functions (in conjunction with Audio Songs), please refer to the SX900 Owner's Manual, page 74. :)

... Now we enter the Genration "X" Motif ??? or what can X mean?

I think the "X" means "eXpanded" or it may be derived from "neXt" (generation). :)

P.S.
The first picture in your second posting (the one with the blue display) shows one screen of the internal Test Program ("027 : Red LED On"). There is also a Test routine to check if a Bluetooth module is installed or not ("047 : Bluetooth Check"). Did you already execute this Test #047?

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 06:48:33 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, ektor_s900

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 03:58:43 PM »
So is it fact that the PSR series now the SX900 buttions will wear out fast?

I don't like the rubber buttons either, they look cheap and attract dust. Since the buttons have no print on it, I don't think they are less durable than hard plastic buttons. 

The following users thanked this post: tviks

Offline andyg

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 10:47:32 AM »
I've used PSR-S900, S910 and S970 for teaching for years. Not one rubber button has ever given a problem - and the S900 in particular was very well used.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

rcpilot

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 01:12:18 PM »
Great news andy...
Thanks,
Lee

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 03:26:10 PM »
Does the SX99 have rubber buttons??
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

AndyMark

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 09:20:08 PM »
From an engineering point of view: rubber buttons are more flexible and more durable than hard plastic ones. Rubber buttons absorb stronger knocks and therefore the elements under them are less exposed to wear. Aesthetic impressions are not always good when it comes to durability.
Andy

Offline Toril S

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 09:47:17 PM »
Did not think of that! But I tend to like plastic buttons better.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

rcpilot

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 10:13:42 PM »
The rubber ones are quiet...the plastic (Genos) are click /clack...
I like the size of he plastic ones...and I like the quietness of the rubber ones...
Lee

Offline Toril S

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2019, 10:54:54 PM »
Yes, they unfortunately click and clack😀 But never get stuck.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline andyg

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2019, 11:30:15 PM »
Yes, they unfortunately click and clack😀 But never get stuck.
Oh yes they do! I had a student with a couple of stickies on his PSR3000. Two minutes for the engineer to fix, but much longer to disassemble and reassemble! (As always!)
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline ektor_s900

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2019, 03:29:57 PM »
Hi ektor_s900,

The SX keys should com from the PSR-730? To my knowledge, the "FSB" keyboard of the SX900/700 was newly developed for the SX series:

It is absolutely normal that the preinstalled Packs are deleted when installing new Expansion Content and you not have additionally imported the preinstalled Packs to the YEM (and also selected those Packs in the YEM).

Please download the preinstalled Packs (.cpf format) here again and import the one(s) you want to keep to the YEM:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx900/vse.html#product-tabs

Make sure ALL Packs you want to install on the SX900 have a light green checkmark symbol in YEM.

For "Vocal Cancel", "Time Stretch" and "Pitch Shift" functions (in conjunction with Audio Songs), please refer to the SX900 Owner's Manual, page 74. :)

I think the "X" means "eXpanded" or it may be derived from "neXt" (generation). :)

P.S.
The first picture in your second posting (the one with the blue display) shows one screen of the internal Test Program ("027 : Red LED On"). There is also a Test routine to check if a Bluetooth module is installed or not ("047 : Bluetooth Check"). Did you already execute this Test #047?

Best regards,
Chris

Hi thanks overover, look at the keys I mean that the keys from the PSR-730 to the PSR-S975 is the same system or rubber (see photo)
In the SX900 it is a new system because it feels in the blow, I have not uncovered it to see what it is (if someone can uncover it I would be grateful) and I am really grateful with this key is stronger and not as sensitive or weak as those of the PSR-730 to PSR-S975.
2. Regarding pre-installed packages thanks.
3. As for the audio and its options, it seems to me that as they were in the s970 / s975 it is simpler than here. Good will be while I know her!
And finally Bluetooth, the catalog says that if the bluetooth icon does not come in the second menu in the last part as it is in the photo, is it because the keyboard does not bring it ??? and really the keyboard doesn't bring it. How sad and that is where my question is born, what countries or areas of the world does the sx900 have bluetooth?
Thanks overover.

Offline ektor_s900

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2019, 09:26:38 PM »
Regarding the rubber buttons, I want to clarify that I have always liked the paste buttons, my first keyboard was the PSR-510, (the predecessor PSR-410 and PSR-1700 and PSR-2700 "brings the function of the microphone or vocal harmony "were the flagships of that time, the year 1996), but their buttons were made of rubber and over time those buttons lost their status due to use, they discolored and if the keyboardist was a nail, he slowly raised the rubber and it looked like food or bitten by mice.
Then I had the PSR-630, the buttons are made of pasta, but this paste makes "clik-clik" noise effectively and the worst part is that they are very fragile and divided, then the PSR-1000, PSR-1100, PSR line -2000, PSR-2100 and PSR-A1000 pasta buttons (these buttons never broke).
Then I had the PSR-3000 and the buttons are on the same line as the previous PSR-2100, and excellent buttons do not feel the noise, do not break this keyboard only had a set of rubber buttons and there were the black buttons below the La screen where the tracks are handled are 8 and 8.
After having the PSR-3000, I had the PSR-S900, PSR-S710 and PSR-S910, they all bring the same rubber button and it really is an uncomfortable button for how they turned over time and their use is more exhausting than the paste one and then it was time to buy a new set, especially the ABCD and have to press up to 2 times to apply the option and also wear out as if they had been eaten by the mouse, the tips and the other the color, dirt can be seen on the white or gray rubber buttons.
Now I have the PSR.-S970 and the buttons are also rubber, they are not so nice.
But in the SX900 / SX700, I see that the button does not reach as high as in the S910 / S970, I explain that if we see it in the photo, the button is like a high millimeter of the paste unlike the S910 and S970 that the buttons they reach up to 2 or 3 millimeters high, I don't know if I understand myself, so I see that here in the SX900 / SX700 on that side I see with good eyes the rubber buttons, this rubber button reminds me of the Korg PA rubber button -600, PA900, which are rubber buttons but one does not have to press twice, it is a well-adjusted button and a single pressure works perfectly.
Regards.

Offline overover

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2019, 09:58:48 PM »
... And finally Bluetooth, the catalog says that if the bluetooth icon does not come in the second menu in the last part as it is in the photo, is it because the keyboard does not bring it ??? and really the keyboard doesn't bring it. How sad and that is where my question is born, what countries or areas of the world does the sx900 have bluetooth? ...

Hi ektor_s900,

thank you for your feedback!

Unfortunately, I don't know in which countries / areas Yamaha Keyboards do / do not have Bluetooth.

I recommend to contact the Yamaha Support by this regard. They should be able to tell you if YOUR SX900 has Bluetooth built-in or not. (In this regard, you have to give them the Serial Number of your SX900).

IF the Yamaha Support says that YOUR SX900 originally should contain Bluetooth, it COULD be that the Bluetooth module is installed, but it is defective or there is an internal electrical contact problem.

The internal Test Program routine "047 : Bluetooth Check" (I mentioned before) only checks if an internal Bluetooth module is Mounted or not. But I guess, this Test routine will  return "Not Mounted", also if the module is "only" faulty or has a contact problem.

So, IF the Yamaha Support says your SX should HAVE Bluetooth built-in, I recommend having the SX checked by an authorized Yamaha Service Center.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 10:02:49 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)