Author Topic: Using the Registrations is the Most powerful way to get the most  (Read 20775 times)

Offline manuel

Using the Registrations is the Most powerful way to get the most
« on: November 08, 2019, 10:01:18 PM »
Hello friends

In another forum, Donny began a conversation regarding the use of Registrations vs OTS.....
In my experience playing in events for a very, very, very long time and also demonstrating Keyboards, the best way to get the most of the keyboard is using the Registrations....

This is what I posted:
I have always use the Registrations, is the most powerful and efficient way to get the most of the keyboard, you can "contour" them by using in one simple change of registration to trigger a fill/break, sync a Multipad either midi or audio link, Song, change text, key, octave, parameters, effects, Voices, Style or style variation, tempo....etc.....

For either live performance in a gig, or for doing a Demonstration, the Best way to use the keyboard, of course, each one has their way on doing it.

I would not play an arranger any other way. Perhaps is because I came from the "Organ" school....remember all those tabs in the Theatre pipe organs?, but, you will see also those buttons between the keyboards, those are the "Registration" buttons equivalent, you could "program those" so instead of trying to make a 10-20-30 or more changes on real time, that for the amount of tabs would be literally impossible, with those "presets" you can, is the same on the keyboards now.

Most of the time I use in the Genos the first 5 registrations for one song, and the other 5 for a different song. (In the PSR SX 900 I use 4 and 4).
BUT, sometimes, in certain songs that I want to be more complex, I use all 10 for one song, or use all 8 on the PSR SX900, remember that we have an unlimited number of registration banks...so, in this case, is a little more polished arrangement, sometimes, a local colleague figure that I was using a midi file, and I was not....

I hope I can upload a registration using the 8 memories, is for the song A Crazy little thing called love. ( I play it in C ), and I know that the Fill that is after the Chorus is different.
I use 1 and 2 for the First part, the Chorus I use 3 and at the end of it 4 G chord one measure press 4 again with the C chord, to go back to the repeat of the first verse Use 5, I manually change key  one UP at the end of it and play the verse with 6, then to repeat of the Chorus with 7 then go to 4 G chord one measure press 4 again with the C chord after the second beat press 8 .......if you want to manually change to variation 3 then end.... You most practice the changes, since the song is upbeat you have to be precise.....

Manuel

[attachment deleted by admin]
My 2 Cents

Manuel

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK, Dave Shively, JohnS, pchan, Donna P

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Using the Registrations is the Most powerful way to get the most
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 10:07:47 PM »
I agree completely about the value of registrations.

But if you can have “an unlimited number of registration banks”, why would you have more than one song per bank? Doesn’t that make songs harder to find? Why not one song per bank, even if that leaves some buttons empty?

Cheers,
Fred

« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 10:11:48 PM by Fred Smith »
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: Colin D

Offline manuel

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 10:19:21 PM »
Fred

This depends on the complexity of the arrangement the user wants, as an example, I program a Rhumba1 from 1 to 4 (or 5 if it is the Genos), and also program a Different Rhumba2 from 5 to end....all of them with the same tempo, only with a different voice either solo or in combination.....this way, if I am playing with # 3 in Rhumba1 and I want to use a sound from Rhumba 2, I put freeze, then the number let say7.

That is one example, now for example 2, I play Rhumba1 and to give a different "Flavor", I switch to Number 8 or 6....that will change also the style, since those have the same Tempo, there is no "bump" ....

As I said, depends on the User, if he or she choose to add more complexity, is matter of taste. Nothing wrong with not doing it or doing it....

Manuel 

My 2 Cents

Manuel

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 02:57:47 AM »
Thank you Manual,
the mp3 is brilliant.
Haven’t had a chance to try the registrations yet.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline manuel

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 06:34:02 AM »
I am aware that the way the keyboard arranger players that sing, for obvious reasons, have to use slightly different the registrations versus the players that only instrumental....One feature that is often use in the registrations is to control the Vocal Harmonizer On/Off, Effect, Talk, Changing the Preset of the harmony/FX Type among other sounds, etc.

I belong to the instrumental players, and this is a sort of carry over from the Organist days, for ME, to keep interesting the music on a song, I use different voices/instrument as lead for the different parts of the song, Verse1, a different sound for either Verse2, then for the Chorus another, etc....
The kind of "tricks" to give some dynamics to the song, like changing variations (with Fills/Breaks), perhaps modulations, as an example, listen to the song I cant smile without you, and you will hear that change keys 3 times, also like Mac the Knife that change 4 or 5 times key, if you notice, is always UP the change....that sounds uplifting and creates dynamic and keeps interesting the song, since I do not sing, this keeps "fresh" the song.

My 2 Cents

Manuel

Offline ton37

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 07:15:31 AM »
Thank you for your detailed explanation @Manuel. As you say, everyone decides how he wants to organize his workflow on the keyboard. I agree with @Fred to save 1 song per bank. Why: the keyboard can handle it, and it offers more flexibility with regard to storing complex registrations!
If you save 8/10 songs per bank, you no longer have room (or you have to rearrange your registrations) to save more complex registrations. You then make it a bit harder for yourself if you would like (to add) a more complex registration (afterwards).For example, think of using Multipads. The use of the so-called StopPad requires at least 1 extra registration. Sometimes 2.
Don't forget: You can use the 4 OTS buttons as an extra. So you even have 12/14 memory places at your disposal!
Keep in mind that OTS and Register Memory differ in function!!
The use of the Lyric display can be useful to describe the complex setup of a song therein.
A functional right naming of the registration can also be useful.
Yeah, the current generation of keyboard offers so many possibilities.

So it's no longer easy, you have to make it easy for yourself .... :)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 07:27:32 AM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline manuel

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 05:22:11 PM »
Some additional information.....
If you are a novice player at home, is most likely to use one Bank per song like you said, to make life easier and I agree, but when you are  Playing out in events like I do, we have what I will call "Generic" songs, this are nice songs but not a production number or signature number if you will....this is where I use my "Generic" registrations, like the one I mention before, the Rhumba1 and Rhumba2, same can go for a Foxtrot1 then Foxtrot2....this way you have more variations on the same subject song genres.

As the Rhumba "Generic" registration example, you can play "you belong to my heart" and if you want to make a medley, play Green eyes, or I wish you love, Amor, etc....this way you can change to either direction and as long you program them at the same tempo, you will make it more interesting that just playing a medley with just one style. The same can go for any genre lets say Bossa Nova, songs like Meditation, How insensitive, Little boat, Wave, etc...In Foxtrot It had to be you, All of me, My Blue heaven, Satin Doll, etc...

By the way, I name my "Generic" Registrations only by the Tempo and style....example, 103 Rhumba1+Rhumba2, 130 Foxtrot1+BBand (The big band also at 130), etc....Much different than my signature songs, in witch I do use most if not all the 8 or 10 Registrations (Depending on the Keyboard I use, Genos or PSR SX900) and name them with their Song title, like My Way, Crazy LittleThing, etc

My Other 2 cents

Manuel.
My 2 Cents

Manuel

Offline andyg

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 07:02:30 PM »
Yes, what we call Registration Memories have their roots in the pistons that are still found between the manuals of all large organs today, Classical or theatre. The electronic organ copied the idea - you could rightly say that the 1935 Hammond A had the first programmable presets on the reverse-colour keys C# through A. Pistons appeared on theatre and Classical models with the birth of the electronic organ proper. At first they were 'blind', just factory set. Then came programmable pistons and, as memory became available, we were at last able to store multiple sets of registrations on RAM pack, then floppy disk and now USB and hard drives.

It makes no difference if you're a novice or a professional, player, if you're saving sounds for one song then you should give it its own registration bank, named after the song title, of course! Indeed, you can use multiple banks if you're also using Registration Sequences. All the pros I know do this on a song by song basis, and it's what I teach all my students to do as well. Generic sets are also a great idea, as well as 'start up' or 'blank' banks and even 'survival' banks with various types of sound available, but freezing the style.

All in all, I'd class Registration Memories as the single most powerful feature on the keyboard (or organ, for that matter).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 07:04:23 PM by andyg »
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline frozzers

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 10:36:11 PM »
I really like your idea of having generic registrations identified by style and tempo. I know that will have taken you some time to set up. It’s something I keep intending to do but have never got round to.

Would you be willing to share your registrations with us? It would be much appreciated!

I’ve got a Genos and I pretty much like all styles. 😀

Cheers

Chris

Offline manuel

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 11:12:42 PM »
Here a few of my "Generic" Registrations for the Genos....

I hope you like them and use them, also could be used as template, modify what you want and save it with a different name if you wish to keep the "template".
In the Registration All the way+....I use that name as reference to the kind of song, like Misty, Deep Purple, Never the less, am in the mood for love, you make me love you, Making woopie, Star Dust, Careless, etc....
Using the 140Foxtrot, the first 5 are to play a medium Fox like Ain´t misbehaving, Night and Day, Beyond the sea, How high the moon, Our day will come, etc....but the next 6 to 10 is to play a faster Swing, like Opus one, etc...
The Waltz has from 1 to 5 the same waltz but with different variation and instrumentation, from 6 to 10 I have different styles assorted but all at the same tempo....just put Freeze and play.
The 139 BB Swing, is another way to play even perhaps same songs like Night and Day, Like the 140 Fox, but the dynamic is different and here you can use all 10 memories.

Manuel

Manuel

[attachment deleted by admin]
My 2 Cents

Manuel

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 12:33:52 AM »
Manuel,  Many thanks for your posts and attached registrations!
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

The following users thanked this post: Colin D

Offline panos

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2019, 09:36:09 AM »
I also use a blank reg to memorize various styles and combination of voices that I will use to make a song style when I am starting with no idea of how to start  a cover from scratch.
Then I make the decision of what I will choose for the arrangement, building it little by little and it's easier that way to make a new registration or a new modified style for the song.

Styles+OTS are good but registrations are even better for a nice arrangement :)

Offline frozzers

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2019, 08:03:13 PM »
Thanks very much Manuel.

I've now had a good look at them.

Some of them include custom styles and voices which I adjusted based on the names.

I particularly like the Ensemble Saxes and I also think your choice of styles is pretty good.

Overall, they're in line what I have in mind to do myself and it's now given me the impetus to start doing that.

Thanks again!

Cheers

Chris

ekurburski

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2019, 08:30:53 PM »
Thank you Manual.  This type of post is an example of using info and adapting that info to older KB's as I do to the 3000.  Good info!!

Offline ton37

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2019, 08:55:59 PM »
Thank you Manual.  This type of post is an example of using info and adapting that info to older KB's as I do to the 3000.  Good info!!
That is a funny talk @ekurburski, 'Manual' is actually called 'Manuel', but given his knowledge the name 'Manual' is very appropriate in this case  ;D ;D
My best regards,
Ton

saxxman

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2019, 01:42:26 PM »
Thanks Manuel! I downloaded your Registration and have been having a ball with it! Really opened my eyes to the practicality of using the Reg's for variations along the way through a tune!  Thanks for sharing your talent and expertise - GREAT MP3 as well! Thanks again and all the best to you in the future!

Offline Bob88

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2019, 02:03:52 PM »
   Thank you Manuel.   Looking forward to hearing them. Bob