Author Topic: Help. T5 Editing Inbuilt Drum Kits (Not Audio) ?.  (Read 19564 times)

Offline Graham UK

Help. T5 Editing Inbuilt Drum Kits (Not Audio) ?.
« on: November 08, 2019, 10:32:55 AM »
Tyros 5 76. I have been editing pre-set voices samples using (VOICE SET) and saving as .VCE which works well.I would like to edit the Inbuilt Drum kits (Not Audio) but the (VOICE SET) is not available with Drums ?. 

Feedback required please.
DGX670

Offline EileenL

Re: Help. T5 Editing Inbuilt Drum Kits (Not Audio) ?.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 03:25:27 PM »
No you can't do this in voice set. A drum kit contains many voices. You can alter some things in style edit.

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 04:33:47 PM »
There are Drum.vce's available to download, so how are these edits made available ?.
DGX670

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 04:44:07 PM »
Graham,
Load a drumkit say Real drums in R1. As you play certain keys you will hear the different percussion sounds. If you now go to voice set you will be able to edit settings, DSP etc. These edits will globally affect all the sounds in that particular kit.
When present in a style Mixing Console (style page) allows you to apply a limited no. of edits including Insert and System Effects.
John
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 05:02:46 PM by jwyvern »

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 07:44:43 PM »
BTW I should have pointed out that if you edit in Voice Set and then decide to use those drums in a style the VS edits will be ignored by the style! So in those cases don't bother with  VS, load the basic kit to the style and edit using the style page of Mixing Console as previously mentioned.

John
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 07:47:53 PM by jwyvern »

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 10:33:56 AM »
John. Thank you your reply, with the T5 inbuilt Drum Kits are more aggressive than my T2 Drums which I preferred.
I would like to delete certain parts of a kit to suit what I'm playing.
DGX670

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 12:17:30 PM »
Hi Graham,
If you have a problem with individual drums being too dominant (eg. the kick drum can stand out too much, often because it's timing coincides with that of the bass beat so you get a double whammy!) a different type of editing is needed for that. You need to go to Style Creator so you can edit the midi riff for the drums directly. It involves identifying which note your particular drum is assigned to, and every time it repeats in the riff reducing say the velocity significantly so its sound is reduced, or to zero to mute it.
Coincidentally Drake has recently made a video showing the procedure, at
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,52174.msg408014.html#msg408014

John
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 12:23:29 PM by jwyvern »

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 01:14:16 PM »
John. Thank you for supplying the link to Drakes Video which I will view.

EDIT. Drake's Video does show what I wanted to do but only for that particular style.
Ideally it needs to be available to save as a Drum Kit so could then be used when required.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 10:19:09 AM by Graham UK »
DGX670

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 11:35:51 AM »
The only way to do this would be to create a sampled drum kit in the YEM. Then you could use it with any style you wanted. You will also find different drum kits on some Yamaha packs.

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2019, 05:40:42 PM »
Hi Graham,

Voice Set files (for example .vce) can be created from Preset Voices OR Custom Voices (by either copying a particular Voice in the Voice Selection Display OR by using "SAVE" function in the Voice Set display.

Voice Set files can contain either the original settings of a Voice OR partly changed settings (made in Voice Set). But those files only refer to the original Preset or Custom Voice, from which the .vce file was created.

As mentioned by John (jwyvern) before, .vce files can only be used in Keyboard Parts (Right / Left), but NOT in Styles, Multi Pads or MIDI files. IF one would revoice a Style, MP or MIDI file, only the original Voice would be used, but the Voice Settings made in the .vce file would be ignored.

What you can do is to make your own Custom Drum Voices, based on Tyros5 Preset Drum Voices:

• Connect the USB-to-Host terminal of the T5 to the PC (via a USB type AB cable).

• Power on T5 and PC.

• Make sure that the MIDI Template "All Parts" is selected at "FUNCTION ---> MIDI" diplay on T5.

• Make sure to have installed the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver on the PC.

• Open YEM program on the PC.

• Click on the "Gear" symbol (at the top right corner) and select "Digital Workstation 1" for both MIDI Input and MIDI Output in YEM.

• Create a new, empty Pack in YEM ("My Packs ---> + symbol ---> Create Pack")

• Make sure that this new Pack is selected, then create a new "Tyros5 Custom Drum Voice" by clicking the "+" symbol in this Pack.
(You have to specify the exact Drum Voice you want to edit, at this time.)

• Double-click this new created Custom Drum Voice (for example "Real Drums 001") to open the Voice Editor.

• When you click on the virtual keyboard, you should hear the Drum instruments from the Tyros5.

• Now you can edit the Amplitude, Pitch and / or Filter Envelope of each Drum instrument (each note) seperately and / or make "General" settings (affecting the whole Drum Voice.)

• You could also add a Drum SAMPLE (.wav / .aiff) for particular Drum instruments (notes).

• To save your changes click on the "Floppy Disk" button, or click the red "Back" button and then "Save". To discard the changes (and go back to the previoussettings) click "Discard".

• TRANSFER the new Pack (including you new Drum Voice) to the T5 (via Wi-Fi or USB stick, as usual).

• Find the new Pack in "Expansion" folder (in HD1 tab on the T5) and use the new Voice in Styles, Multi Pads and / or MIDI files. :)

Please refer also to the YEM Owner's Manual:

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/manuals/index.html?l=en&c=keyboards&k=expansion+manager

Hope this helps!

Best regards.
Chris

« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 05:46:49 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 10:38:36 PM »
Chris. You have wonderful Yamaha knowledge.  That's excellent feedback information which I will study.
With this T5 not having expansion memory I have not previously looked into YEM.

Very appreciated.
DGX670

Offline overover

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2019, 10:53:25 PM »
Hi Graham,

thank you for your nice feedback!

If I understand you correctly, your T5 has NOT built-in an Expansion Memory module, at the moment (?)

I'm not absolutely sure here: The method I decribed before (to create Custom Drum Voices based on Tyros5 Preset Drum Voices) COULD also work without Expansion Memory on T5 (because there is no Expansion Wave Memory needed in this case).

You could try it, but basically I recommend to install an Expansion Memory module (at least 1 GB, better 2 GB).

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 10:54:56 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK