Author Topic: Genos  (Read 15540 times)

Thomas Baker

Genos
« on: November 08, 2019, 01:42:07 AM »
Brand new to this form and very interested in buying a genos.
I've looked at both the genos and pa4x and the one major concern is there is no screen contrast adjustment and a tilt feature for the screen which would make it much more appealing!
I have used various workstations for over 20 years presently using a Roland G70 and the genos is the first workstation I've come accross that has no screen contrast adjustment. I would have hoped Yamaha would have implemented that in their recent software upgrade?

Online Fred Smith

Re: Genos
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 02:08:34 AM »
Brand new to this form and very interested in buying a genos.
I've looked at both the genos and pa4x and the one major concern is there is no screen contrast adjustment and a tilt feature for the screen which would make it much more appealing!
I have used various workstations for over 20 years presently using a Roland G70 and the genos is the first workstation I've come accross that has no screen contrast adjustment. I would have hoped Yamaha would have implemented that in their recent software upgrade?

Don’t count on it. The upgrade will be released on November 15, but it’s unlikely to have any contrast adjustment. You need to make your decision on what you see today.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline elad770

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 04:44:48 AM »
The Genos will tilt you to the core and upside down! That is the only tilt needed! Trust me

I also thought the screen Korg made is cool but the software itself like the screen fonts and appearance is all over the place.

Genos is the best keyboard arranger money can buy. Period

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 09:33:50 AM »
..... Genos is the best keyboard arranger money can buy. Period

Well, that's very subjective, and dedicated Korg and Ketron users will probably have other views at it.
But, if you add Yamaha before 'best keyboard arranger', then it is in fact true. 👍

When it comes to screen contrast, so far I've not noticed that is missing.
Probably because as long as not be out in the direct sunlight, Genos screen is very clear and visible.

Also have to say welcome to Thomas, that wrote his first post here. 😎
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 09:35:38 AM by Gunnar Jonny »
Cheers 🥂
GJ

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 12:38:16 PM »
Yes, welcome aboard Thomas.

In certain lighting conditions, tilt and contrast would be very handy. I play outside a lot and have to work around these missing features.

You haven't told us how you intend to use your keyboard. Do you play gigs, just at home, or both? If you play strictly at home, you can light the room accordingly. If you play out, no worries. The number of times it's a problem is minimal. The Genos makes up for that small inconvenience with its amazing sounds, providing you use decent speakers ;D.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 01:03:33 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 01:59:45 PM »
Thomas welcome to the Genos club.  As others have started at least for me it’s a non issue. Occasionally during the summer I play out doors and the venues supply me a canopy so I can still see the screen.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Thomas Baker

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 03:43:51 PM »
Hey everyone thx for the comments.
Just sayin I was at Long & McQuade yesterday and the keyboard guy there said I have a valid point.
The overhead lights in the store did make it difficult to some extent but not impossible!
I do agree though the genos is a premier workstation.

Offline ton37

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 04:46:54 PM »
In the Sx900 Yamaha has built in a feature to adjust the brightness, but even this is not enought. Maybe it is built in the coming update. The problem is that the default brightness is not bright enought . So adjusting makes the display only darker. It had to be adjusted to more/extra brightness ...
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Toril S

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 10:39:08 PM »
Hello Thomas!
The non tilltable touch screen on the Genos was a big concern for me, as I am visually impaired. i wanted the Genos, but bought a used Tyros5 instead. But I found that if I tilted the screen too steeply, the screen became more difficult to see, so the tilt was not all that helpful anyway. Last month I purchased a Genos, and am VERY happy with it. The screen is sloped a little bit towards the player, and the effect when you look at is makes you feel like it is tilted! It is very clear, and quicker to use. Playing outside is a problem with all keyboard screens, but the Genos has something called VoiceGuide. It will read what is on the screen. And can be turned on and off as desired. The Genos is the best arranger EVER! It is a killer, go for it! :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Roland

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 11:17:52 PM »
Hello Thomas,

At my LM in Calgary it was difficult to read too. But using it at home, the display is as crisp and clear as a sunny day at Lake Minnewanka *grin*. I personally find it less effort to adjust the lights in my surrounding than fiddling with even more display options :-)  And the display is also way better than the one on my MotifXF8 - which is not bad either.

Cheers, Roland