Author Topic: Creating audio file multipads  (Read 21287 times)

konaboy

Creating audio file multipads
« on: November 01, 2019, 06:38:58 PM »
OK, I'm playing around with Native Instruments construction kits, these are fresh sounding audio loops that I was intending to assign to multi-pads, and perhaps mess around with creating audio styles in the future.
But lets start with the audio pads. I've got hundreds of samples and it may be tedious to create the multipads on the PSR, I'm wondering if there are any software editors to create them on PC and transfer them over, together with the audio files.
thanks

konaboy

Re: Creating audio file multipads
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 06:45:04 PM »
hmm, this is a bummer.
I read the following section in the manual about audio-linked multi pads.

• Make sure to connect the USB flash drive that includes the corresponding audio files.
• Automatic repeat playback is not available.
• Chord Match cannot be applied.

no repeat?  why not???  this terminates the plans I had for using them for drum loops.

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 10:28:51 AM »
Hi ,
I spotted that too.  Must admit found it strange that they don’t loop, unless I misunderstood. Personally doesn’t affect me, but is odd.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 01:01:29 PM »
Audio Pads are usually used for vocal parts or sound effects. They do not loop because the timing is sometimes a little out on these recordings.
  You can use sample sounds from YEM to create Multi pads then you can use chord match and loop them.

konaboy

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 04:05:38 PM »
thanks all for the feedback!
I get that audio multipads could and probably would drift out of tempo with playback of the style. In my case I was actually thinking of using the loops instead of the style accmp in some situations, so it's a shame that yamaha prevented this.
I briefly tried the audio phrase software to create audio styles, but it was somewhat clunky and unpredictable, plus a cumbersome process if you just want to jam to a loop.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 04:41:59 PM »
thanks all for the feedback!
I get that audio multipads could and probably would drift out of tempo with playback of the style. In my case I was actually thinking of using the loops instead of the style accmp in some situations, so it's a shame that yamaha prevented this.
I briefly tried the audio phrase software to create audio styles, but it was somewhat clunky and unpredictable, plus a cumbersome process if you just want to jam to a loop.

Why not create the loops in midi, instead of audio?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Joe H

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 04:44:13 PM »
If you can convert WAV files to (sliced) REX files, then you can create Multi Pads that will loop and follow your chords and change tempo (as well as style Parts) in YEM.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

konaboy

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 06:58:04 PM »
I want to use audio not midi, because the sounds and processing are much more contemporary than the sounds and fx on the PSR, my intention was to add a fresh set of sounds and beats.
This is the kind of sound you can achieve with the NI audio ssmple packs.
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/expansions/midnight-sunset/

Yes I could convert them to REX, thanks for the suggest, but this is becoming too much work.  My hope was to just drag and drop over to the PSR.  There are too many hoops to jump through, so might as well use my DAW.

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2019, 07:55:17 PM »
Audio Pads are usually used for vocal parts or sound effects. They do not loop because the timing is sometimes a little out on these recordings.
  You can use sample sounds from YEM to create Multi pads then you can use chord match and loop them.

Thank you Eileen,
I’m fairly certain I used to use audio drum loops for my pa800 Korg pads, so was a bit surprised when I read Yamaha didn’t loop. Not an issue for me anyway.

Yem is sounding very intriguing.

Thank you
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2019, 08:07:32 PM »
If you can convert WAV files to (sliced) REX files, then you can create Multi Pads that will loop and follow your chords and change tempo (as well as style Parts) in YEM.

Joe H

Hi Joe,
Bit out of touch on this sort of stuff,  can you recommend any software that will convert wav to Rex.

Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline Joe H

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2019, 10:54:32 PM »
Nope.  Try doing a google search.

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 11:57:52 PM »
Thank you Joe,
thought since you suggested it, I thought it might be a common piece of software. So much stuff around for the yamahas.

Definitely not  it appears. After I searched , I found it’s a function exclusive to a particular company’s software. Certainly not prepared to spend that amount of money on something I’d rarely use.

Thanks again.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline overover

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2019, 01:15:33 AM »
Hi Rikki,

.REX and .RX2 ("sliced" Audio Drum files) are file formats of the Company "Reason Studios", formerly known as "Propellerhead". There are several computer programs that can create those files, for example "Recycle" and "Reason".

REX files can be imported to the Yamaha Expansion Manager (YEM):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bObx-jaxiUs

Here are some links about the topic "Creating REX files":

https://www.reasonstudios.com/recycle

https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/propellerhead-recycle-2.1

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/reason-create-refills-rex-files

https://www.google.com/search?q=creating+rex%7Crx2+files

P.S.
If Audio (Drum) files (.WAV) should "only" be LOOPED (but NOT changed in Tempo), you can make a new Custom Drum Voice (in YEM) and import /map the .WAV files to different keys in this Drum Voice.

The Drum Voice can be used (and looped) then, for example, in (MIDI) Multi Pads.

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 01:39:08 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2019, 01:17:45 AM »

P.S.
If Audio (Drum) files (.WAV) should "only" be LOOPED (but NOT changed in Tempo), you can make a new Custom Drum Voice (in YEM) and import /map the .WAV files to different keys in this Drum Voice.

The Drum Voice can be used (and looped) then, for example, in (MIDI) Multi Pads.

Best regards,
Chris

Hi Chris thank you so much for all the links , I’ll check them out, even if it’s just to learn something new.
 It’s probably not worthwhile my while investing  in either Reason or Recycle.
Had a few Biab drum loops I time sliced for my Pa800 a few years back, thought they might be of use for my sx 900,  but not that important really.

What you mentioned above sounds interesting, might be a possibility for me.

Trying not to get too involved in the technology, have a bad habit of doing that, then I never get any playing done.  Haha.  Main reason I sold the Pa4x, constantly trying out stuff.

Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2019, 11:08:09 AM »
.REX and .RX2 ("sliced" Audio Drum files) are file formats of the Company "Reason Studios", formerly known as "Propellerhead". There are several computer programs that can create those files, for example "Recycle" and "Reason".

To create REX/RX2 files, you must have ReCycle. Creating REX/RX2 files is AFAIK not possible in Reason.

Tezwalker

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2019, 03:47:13 PM »
Hi same heading diff question
Help needed trying to make a audio pad  I have a song on tyros5 which I have  cut a section off using audacity   And exported in wav file back to tyros5 to use as a pad all I get is file no supported tried playing as audio file not supposed  using the audio link on pad fill not supported  am l doing something wrong

Ps I have a audio file in user which works fine on mutipads

Thanks terry

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2019, 05:16:22 PM »
To create REX/RX2 files, you must have ReCycle. Creating REX/RX2 files is AFAIK not possible in Reason.

Hi
Thank you for that. I would have done  a lot more checking if I decided  to purchase.
At the moment it’s good to know it’s possible.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline overover

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2019, 05:51:11 PM »

Hi tomsixtwo,

to my knowledge, it IS possible to create REX files also in Reason. Please follow this link (that I had posted in my reply #12, before):

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline overover

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2019, 06:10:26 PM »
... Help needed trying to make a audio pad  I have a song on tyros5 which I have  cut a section off using audacity   And exported in wav file back to tyros5 to use as a pad all I get is file no supported tried playing as audio file not supposed  using the audio link on pad fill not supported  am l doing something wrong

Ps I have a audio file in user which works fine on mutipads...

Hi Terry,

the "one and only".WAV format that is supported for Audio Link Multi Pads is:

44.1 kHz  / 16-bit / Stereo (!)

These parameters have to be set when exporting a .WAV file (for example in Audacity).

P.S.
What do you mean with "pad fill"?

Best regards,
Chris

Offline Joe H

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2019, 08:29:11 PM »
Hi tomsixtwo,

to my knowledge, it IS possible to create REX files also in Reason. Please follow this link (that I had posted in my reply #12, before):

Best regards,
Chris

I think you need REX2 (sliced) files.  These will work at various tempos.

Joe H

Offline overover

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2019, 09:03:56 PM »
Hi tomsixtwo,

Best regards,
Chris

I think you need REX2 (sliced) files.  These will work at various tempos.

Joe H

Hi Joe,

as far as I know, ".REX" files ARE Sliced Audio files, too.

I used "REX" (in reply #17) as a generic term for ALL types of Sliced Audio files which are supported by the YEM. Currently these are:

.RCY
.REX
.RX2

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 09:12:12 PM by overover »

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2019, 05:33:33 PM »
Hi tomsixtwo,

Best regards,
Chris

You're right, Chris. Sorry for my slightly outdated Reason knowledge  ;)

Tezwalker

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2019, 06:42:58 PM »
Hi Chris
 Thanks for reply I will look to see what the settings are for the audio in audacity and try again

Sorry for mistake pad fill should have said Multipad  file  thanks  sorry for delay in getting back to you been out all day. 

terry

Offline overover

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2019, 06:46:47 PM »
Hi Chris
 Thanks for reply I will look to see what the settings are for the audio in audacity and try again

Sorry for mistake pad fill should have said Multipad  file  thanks  sorry for delay in getting back to you been out all day.  ...

Hi Terry,

no problem, thank you very much for your feedback! :)

Best regards,
Chris