Author Topic: Styles writing : Guitar part  (Read 6887 times)

Offline Luluc

Styles writing : Guitar part
« on: November 10, 2019, 02:34:28 PM »
Hello all Genosphils !

I have a 'small' question about the writing of the guitar part in styles : That don't match a known chord , as CMaj or C7...
See in attached view the guitar parts written in the Genos style NashvilleBallad2.

Is there any tutorial to help me to fully understand how it works ? I need that to edit the guitar part of some styles.

Thanks,

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 04:25:43 PM by Luluc »
Luluc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yamaha Genos - Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 - Behringer FCB1010 - AKG K92

Offline mikf

Re: Styles writing : Guitar part
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 07:48:54 PM »
I don’t know if I would use the word ‘match’ but all parts in a style are transposed when you play a chord according to a set of rules, the CASM - essentially an algorithm- relative to the CM7 chord. So for example each note in a phrase would get moved up 5 semi tones if you play an F maj7 chord, but it might also make adjustments to certain notes if for example you played F minor where the third note of the chord is flattened, or if you played a dominant 7th instead of a major 7th where the 7th note is flattened, or an augmented where the 5th note is sharpened. It’s one of the reasons why predicting how an intricate phrase would transpose can get tricky.
Mike

Offline Luluc

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 09:30:12 AM »
I understand that the question is rather difficult. I don't know if it is a new feature for the Genos or if it already exists in the Tyros5.

In fact, the guitar part, on CH#12 uses a D-Folk Guitar Megavoice, and the channel#13 uses a Mandolin Megavoice.
For the megavoices, I am aware of the levels of velocity to select a specific sound of guitar for example or to select a typical guitar effect as a hammer-on or a slide effect.
We just need how work the notes C,F,G,A,B, that is what is the role of each note for the resulting chord (what note is the 3rd, the 5th, ...) ?
I just assume that the C key is the bass note of the chord.

Luluc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline valimaties

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 10:50:16 AM »
As I see in that score, that channel is written with Guitar Mode. This means the pressed keys will sound as a string, not as it's key. In Guitar Mode, notes are transposed to approximate the chords played with natural guitar fingering. (this is written in Reference Manual, too). That means ABCDEF keys will not sound like ABCDEF, but will transpose to reach a chord. It is the hardest mode to write styles in keyboard, a dedicated software will transpose those keys in real time. But for some advanced users this is not a problem.

The best way to understand is to start creating a style from scratch and play a little bit with Guitar Mode. After you recording something, exit without saving and try it in live playing. In this way you can hear what key is playing what note ;)

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Luluc

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 05:59:03 PM »
OK, so  I will experiment with the guitar mode. A bit of work in perspective !
Luluc