Author Topic: Chord Looper - Question  (Read 12192 times)

Offline Bill

Chord Looper - Question
« on: November 05, 2019, 11:54:00 AM »
I had intended to post this on a Section devoted to SX Series but there isn't one. However.

I understand what the Chord Looper does BUT how does it DO IT and how is it used on the KB.

1   When you have setup your 8 chord loops you save it as a CLD File. Is this file a MIDI File or just a reference file like a Registration file.
2   I presume that when recording the Chords, you do this in Step Mode. Is this the case.
3   Are the 8 sequences in the CLD File, independent of tempo.
4   When playing back the sequence does it stop when you push the break button.
5   I presume that the sequences can be activated by the registrations, but can the reg stop the loop from playing.

I need to understand how things work so that I can get the most out of features like this.

Regards

Bill

England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline voodoo

Re: Chord Looper - Question
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 12:37:14 PM »
I had intended to post this on a Section devoted to SX Series but there isn't one. However.

I understand what the Chord Looper does BUT how does it DO IT and how is it used on the KB.

1   When you have setup your 8 chord loops you save it as a CLD File. Is this file a MIDI File or just a reference file like a Registration file.
2   I presume that when recording the Chords, you do this in Step Mode. Is this the case.
3   Are the 8 sequences in the CLD File, independent of tempo.
4   When playing back the sequence does it stop when you push the break button.
5   I presume that the sequences can be activated by the registrations, but can the reg stop the loop from playing.

I need to understand how things work so that I can get the most out of features like this.

Regards

Bill

Hi Bill,

I haven't used the chord sequences so far, but I can describe my understanding:

1. I think the CLD file contains the bank of 8 chord sequences themselves. It can be referenced from a registration.

2. The standard way of recording the chords will be playing it in real time. You can do it during style play. I do nit know if there is also a step record. Have you looked into the manual?

3. The chord loops are relative to the tempo and the beat. They are fixed to beats and bars. Changing the style tempo will change the sped of chord changes. What do you mean with "independent of tempo"? Yes they follow the tempo. No, they don't have their own tempo. So is this "independent"?

4. No, break is also a normal style section, so the chord changes have no reason to stop.

Does this help your understanding?

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 12:44:12 PM »
Hi Bill,
  Scroll down the forum and you will see the SX section. It has been there a long time.
There are demo's and instructions on You Tube on of this function. Chord looper can be very useful in lots of ways.

Offline Bill

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 01:46:52 PM »
Hi Eileen

Many thanks  -- I had the PSR section minimalised so it was not showing.

Hi Uli

Many thanks for the info, every bit helps me.
I should have stated that I do not have a SX Keyboard. My KB is a Genos. so I'm waiting until the 15th to give the feature a try.
I was not sure if the Looper File fully integrated into the style, hence my worry that the feature did not follow the tempo of the style.

Thanks again

Bill
England

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 02:47:00 PM »
Once you have recorded you section in Chord Looper then you can choose any style and the chord sequence will follow. There will be a manual to download explaining the new features and how to use them.

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 04:31:16 PM »
Hi Bill --

I'm looking forward to this feature, too.

I'm also anxious to look at the guts of the CLD file. A PC-/Mac-based tool for CLD files would be quite handy. Any SX users willing to post a CLD file, including a list of the chord sequences recorded within?

All the best -- pj
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 04:32:33 PM by pjd »

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 09:55:02 PM »
Bill - I have not used the Yamaha chord looper, but have used others and the whole point of a chord looper is that it plays the chords just as if you were playing them when using a style. You can play the song live, capture the chord sequence while you play and then it will repeat the chord sequence over and over so you don't have to play them. You can improvise over them, sing over them, or sit back and let it play. If you change the style it will just play the chords into the new style. 
Mike

Offline Bill

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 11:43:35 AM »
Hi Eileen, PJ, Mike

Many thanks for the responses.  It would seem that I will have to wait for the V2 Upgrade before I can learn more (only 6 days to go)

The manual does not give me a lot of info.

thanks again

Bill
England

Offline Oldden

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 02:31:05 PM »
Not quite in the right vain. But I remember many, many years ago in XGWORKS you could type in the chord names, change or modify it them if you want  , pick a style and off it went. Be nice if we could do the same on Genos.
Oldden

Offline EileenL

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 04:46:30 PM »
Hi Bill,
  It is simple really. Just choose a style that gives you a tempo you can work with OK and then Just Play the chords you want to use. They can be from your music or played if you are composing something. Once you have recorded your sequence then chose a style you want to play along with.
Play your intro and then switch on the chord sequencer and play your right hand melody. This leaves your left hand to do other things such as change registrations use control knobs use the joy stick or even play a little left hand backing. The choice is yours.