Author Topic: Using .mp3 for audio multipad - is it possible?  (Read 13198 times)

Offline lilryu

Using .mp3 for audio multipad - is it possible?
« on: November 03, 2019, 06:11:08 PM »
Hi,

In the effort to maximize space on the USB drive. Is it possible to use .mp3 for audio multipad? I plan to store acapella vocals as audio multipad. I know .wav works but can we use .mp3?

Thanks!

Offline overover

Re: Using .mp3 for audio multipad - is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 06:46:36 PM »
Hi lilryu,

NO, the only supported format for Audio Link Multi Pads is:

.WAV / 44.1 kHz / 16-bit / Stereo (!)

MP3s you can only use in the Audio Player.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline manuel

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 07:47:58 PM »
I use Audio Multipads all the time, and as you know, the USB drives (3.0) have now high capacity to host the wave files that are required for the use on the Multipads....
I recommend to use the USB 3.0.....because this can write/read much faster than the 2.0, when I used (long time ago) the 2.0, I experience that the audio multipad will stop or if you where recording audio will stop by itself....not in off speed to write or read.

I usually have the 32, 64 and even 128 Gigs USB drives....and no problem at all, I also recommend to format them in the keyboard.

My 2 Cents

Manuel
My 2 Cents

Manuel

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 08:49:07 PM »
I use Audio Multipads all the time, and as you know, the USB drives (3.0) have now high capacity to host the wave files that are required for the use on the Multipads....
I recommend to use the USB 3.0.....because this can write/read much faster than the 2.0, when I used (long time ago) the 2.0, I experience that the audio multipad will stop or if you where recording audio will stop by itself....not in off speed to write or read.

I usually have the 32, 64 and even 128 Gigs USB drives....and no problem at all, I also recommend to format them in the keyboard.

My 2 Cents

Manuel

Hi Manuel,
I haven’t quite gotten round to trying audio pads etc, are you saying the pads are read directly from your USB drive? Or that it’s just a lot faster to the load the files into the sx itself .

Probably should read up on it before maybe asking silly questions.

Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline manuel

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 12:47:28 AM »
I demo constantly Yamaha PSR S and now PSR SX series, and in my demos I use in different ways the Multipads, for a whole song sang by a friend or an a-cappella, or just fractions or a verse then a chorus....in separate Multipads, and ALWAYS I have my files in read in real time  from the USB as long is 3.0 of course. I Demo mainly the Latino Expansion Packs. Sorry this link is in Spanish, I am using ONLY the styles from the Expansion packs I had installed in that PSR S975, is the vocal of a friend of mine Toño Alfaro, singing a popular Mexican song "De que manera te Olvido" is a Bolero Ranchero, as the initial style, then I ilustrated that you could change the genre of the song with different styles, I know I used to many, but is to give the idea of many possibilities, so, is a double demo, using the Audio Multipad and showing the versatility of the expansion packs. Here is the Link to that video....         
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc8WT16qBtQ&t=59s                  the song start at 1:33 I had to give the explanation I did just as above.

Long time ago, when I began demo this feature on the PSR S950 I had trouble because either on the playback of the multipad suddenly stop, or if I was audio recording, stopped by itself, etc....and that is when by process of elimination, found out the culprit, the USB 2.0 drive, way to Slow to read audio or recorded.....so, the solution was the USB drives 3.0....since then, NO problems ever again.

And no to be concern regarding running out of room, I consider myself a "heavy duty" user.....and the drives I use at least are 32 Gigs, I have 64 and even 128 Gigs...NO problems, and a great advice from a great computer teacher I had long time ago, told me, there are only TWO types of Storage (Floppy, SC USB, HD SSD, etc), the ones that Broke, and the ones that Will. Always make a Backup....in fact, make a Backup of the Backup...I have one in my Google Drive too.

My 2 Cents

Manuel
My 2 Cents

Manuel

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 06:59:34 AM »
Hi Manuel,
Thank you so much. I was under the mistaken belief , audio styles , audio pads had to be saved in the keyboard for them to work.
Possibly because I had problems trying to save psr s950 audio style to USB. Didn’t work for me, so assumed that’s how psr’s work.

Now at least I know why people use USB’s up to 128 gig.

Certainly makes it worthwhile delving into the audio functions on the SX.

Thank you
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline manuel

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 03:34:14 PM »
Let me explain how I use the USB drive, since I go from city to city and from store to another store, I only load the keyboard with the expansion packs and I have that file ready(PPI).

Then I plug my USB drive, and EVERYTHING is on my USB, Registrations, Multipads, the Audio of those Multipads, MP3s that I use, Midi files, text files for the Lyrics, etc....

Of course, you must make your Registrations properly and making sure you have link all the things you want to re-call such What style, Tempo, voices for the Right hand, how much Effect, if I use Mic setting, or perhaps Vocal harmonizer, multipad, fill, etc.....and works like a Charm....

Learning how to use the Registrations is the most powerful mode to get the most of your keyboard.

Manuel
My 2 Cents

Manuel

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 08:52:22 PM »
Let me explain how I use the USB drive, since I go from city to city and from store to another store, I only load the keyboard with the expansion packs and I have that file ready(PPI).

Learning how to use the Registrations is the most powerful mode to get the most of your keyboard.

Manuel

Thank you Manuel.

So expansion paks do have to be loaded, they don’t work from USB?
( I haven’t wanted to do too much experimenting just in case I crash the keyboard)

Registrations I’m finally learning about.

Thank you again
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline manuel

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 10:12:19 PM »
Hello Rikkis

There is a lot of misuse when comes to expansion packs, the Yamaha Expansion packs have the sounds(Samples of instruments that they Keyboard does not have, as an example, the Vihuela from a Mariachi band, same goes for the Guitarron, Bajo Sexto and even some drum kits, etc.), so, it contain the Voices, Styles, in many include Multipad banks, registrations, etc....
Well, this type of expansion pack has to be installed, from the PSR S series, began to have a Flash memory(Not User Memory), where this voices are install, etc.....This packs CANNOT be read from a USB Drive.

Some other represent the packs with only styles that those CAN be read directly from the USB.

I hope this is helpful.

Manuel
My 2 Cents

Manuel

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 02:44:10 AM »
Hi Manuel,
Extremely helpful. I didn’t want to mess around experimenting, when I wasn’t sure what the consequences might be.
Now I understand. Thank you so much.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022