Author Topic: Initial Touch.  (Read 14290 times)

Offline Arnak

Initial Touch.
« on: November 01, 2019, 07:45:33 PM »
Hi,

I do not seem to be able to save the initial touch to off when I save a registration. :(

I cannot see a setting in the freeze section that controls that?

So how do I save a registration with it turned off please?

Martin

Offline overover

Re: Initial Touch.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 08:01:27 PM »
Hi Martin,

on Tyros4, the On/Off status of the Initial Touch button will be memorized in Registrations if you have ticked the "Voice" checkbox in the Memory dialog.

There will also be memorized the "Initial Touch Off Level" and "Initial Part On/Off" parameters  (from "Function ---> Controller" display) to Registrations then.

Note: If you have "locked" the VOICEs by using the FREEZE function, also the current "Initial Touch" On/Off status is fixed.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 08:05:57 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Arnak

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 08:05:01 PM »
Hi Chris,

Thanks very much for the advice, I will give that a try. :)

Martin

Offline abr

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 01:28:08 PM »
Hi Martin

Do you play the tyros 4 with the Initial Touch OFF??
I know of some that do, but can't understand why?

I have tyros 4 and always have my initial touch ON.
would not dream of playing any other way.

I have read that some voices are better with IT off?
But do not know what those voices are.

regards
Arthur

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 02:07:03 PM »
Putting Initial Touch off turns your keys into on/off switches for the sounds removing the ability to put detailed expression into a performance (except perhaps with the more limited application of an expression pedal).
I don't know of voices which sound "better" with touch off, although to emulate the real thing, there is usually little key touch applied to organ voices (although a pedal is often used). Presumably back in the day when pipe organs were first invented it was not considered important and they would probably have not known how to achieve it economically anyway.
Yamaha turns down the organs' touch sensitivity individually by reducing Touch Depth to near zero and increasing Offset to high values eg 114 for jazz rotary, see Voice Set (Editor in Genos).

John

« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 02:46:44 PM by jwyvern »

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline Arnak

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 03:10:40 PM »
Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.

At my level of skill I just find it easier to play with touch of so I get a consistent level of volume, I need more practice to make a piece more expressive using the touch. ::)

Martin

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 03:58:01 PM »
Hi Martin, It's good you are aware of the pros and cons and that to develop your skill at playing to consistent levels while using touch should be an important goal.
While you remain unsure there is a sort of halfway house where the touch can be "attenuated" to help you rather than to turn it off completely. I can't remember where it is on your keyboard but there is a list of Keyboard settings which includes Initial Touch and Touch Curve (as it is named on Genos) which lets you set the latter globally to Soft1 and 2, Normal or Hard 1 and 2. (Your KB may have less options). Look at those and see where they are currently set and go in the harder direction. Now put Initial Touch back on and see if this less exaggerated setting gives you a better chance to play consistently. (Then practice over following weeks until you can play with Normal or even Soft 1 !  :) )   

John
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 04:35:18 PM by jwyvern »

Offline panos

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 07:24:42 PM »
Sometimes in Heavy electric guitars and synthesizer sounds the initial touch creates unwanted results.

Offline Arnak

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2019, 08:07:07 PM »
Hi,

Thanks again for the replies. :)

That is a good idea, I will try that setting as it will make practising using touch a lot easier.

Martin

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2019, 04:04:03 AM »
Sometimes in Heavy electric guitars and synthesizer sounds the initial touch creates unwanted results.
'

Hey Panos... Your name reminds me of Greek people I encountered in New Jersey and New York City... I have always gotten along especially well with those of Greek origin here in USA.   
back to business     
I have over 100 yamaha MIDI songs now... There are 1000's on the music soft site ( a very buggy site )
I was lucky in many of my choices... I have some killer MIDI songs , but some are substandard,  but the bulk are more than passable.   25% killer, 70% passable  5% sad.
All this to say... the electric guitar solos on a few of my yamaha MIDI songs are killer
I am wondering ( back to topic at hand ) how the killer programmer achieved such realism.  I am not easily impressed., A moment of bragging  I recorded a session as bass player with The guitarist who solos on Reeling in the Years.. His name is Elliot  Randall I believe.. The solo on the MIDI on RITYears is a good approximation.  How in the world can this be done? You mention using a different setting on the 5 touches,,, but this programmer is so accomplished... seems more to it.   There is an even better MIDI guitar solo on NIGHT FLY  Donald Fagen from Yamaha music soft.
How in the world this programmer accomplishes this, boggles my mind.  I can't believe he is not using some kind of additional MIDI instrument that is ideal for emulating elec guitar wizardry, like Jeff Beck, Steely Dan etc are noted for.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 04:06:56 AM by sugarplumsss »
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline panos

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 06:52:54 PM »
Hi sugarplumsss,
Here are some very nice demos with electric guitars on the Genos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDDrYEDEyPA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0sUJcrUDSw

In fact if they push the midi record button while they are playing,
they can record a midi that it will sound just the same as long it will reproduced in Genos and not on any other keyboard or program on the pc that doesn't have those voice samples.

Imagine now that someone is recording just the guitar sound with a midi recording.
All the notes and all the effects will be recorded.
Then he can find the "spots" that he could change the notes (volumes.lengths of the notes) and the effects (add more or less) in order to create a midi track that can sound even better.

As far as I can understand one basic factor to play good electric guitar is to constantly change the pitch of the notes, while in piano we are used to a fix pitch for every note that cannot be changed.
Unfortunately I am not used to handle the two wheels on the left side of the keyboard myself but I am trying to learn how to use them properly when the left hand is free.

Everytime there is a new model on the market the ideal would for Yamaha musicsoft  to re-create the midi with the newer and  better voices samples but I guess it's not that easy to make all the midi's to sound the best.
So I guess that's why some midi's don't sound that good on your tyros.
They could have made with a lot older models when some voice samples weren't that good as in last decade.

p.s
yes there are many Greeks living in the US mainly in NY.