Author Topic: Glide and Pitch Bend  (Read 13320 times)

Offline Marty

Glide and Pitch Bend
« on: November 01, 2019, 06:29:54 PM »
Hi

I wanted to use a left voice with the glide function today. Setup foot controller for left part and it doesn't work. R1 & R2 work no problem but not left. Also selected pitch bend and this also doesn't work with left voice. Fine with right voices.

Checked other appropriate left voice foot controller options and they function.

Just glide and pitch bend have a problem with left voice.

Anybody else come across this?

Offline overover

Re: Glide and Pitch Bend
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 07:06:16 PM »
Hi Marty,

in S970/770 Reference Manual, pages 114/115, (respectively in S670 Reference Manual, pages 80/81) there is mentioned that you can turn the pedal functions Glide and Pitch Bend on or off for EACH keyboard part, separately:

GLIDE
When the pedal is pressed, the pitch changes, and then returns to normal pitch
when the pedal is released. You can turn this pedal function on or off for each
keyboard part on this display.

UP/DOWN: Determines whether the pitch change goes up (is raised) or down (is lowered).
RANGE: Determines the range of the pitch change, in semitones.
ON SPEED: Determines the speed of the pitch change when the pedal is pressed.
OFF SPEED: Determines the speed of the pitch change when the pedal is released.

PITCH BEND*
Allows you to bend the pitch of notes up or down by using the pedal. You can
turn this pedal function on or off for each keyboard part on this display.

UP/DOWN: Determines whether the pitch change goes up (is raised) or down (is lowered).
RANGE: Determines the range of the pitch change, in semitones.

Please check these displays again, you should also be able to activate / deactivate the LEFT part there.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 07:14:13 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Marty

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 07:15:43 PM »
Hi Chris

Left part is definately selected per the options for left, R1 & R2.

I have the S770. Perhaps its just a s770 problem?

Thanks

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 07:38:26 PM »
Hi Marty,

I don't have an S770. I could check these settings on Genos and Tyros5, but I can not do that until tomorrow.

Maybe another user can try it directly on an S770.

P.S.
Is the latest Firmware Update (V1.06) installed on your S770?

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 07:43:32 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Marty

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 07:48:06 PM »
Hi Chris,

Yes latest v1.06 installed.

Hopefully someone can confirm.

Thanks

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 08:02:33 PM »
I'll be there a check ASAP. 
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 08:36:52 PM »
It is the same on my Tyros4 and Genos despite the presence of a box in the display to select both Glide and Pitch Bend for the Left voice part on both keyboards.

I suspect that these two functions are not intended to work for the Left part, and the 'bug' is actually that Yamaha have never bothered to modify the respective displays to exclude the Left voice!   :'(

Regards

Ian

Offline Marty

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 08:52:43 PM »
Thanks Ian for the clarification. Yamaha really should remove the left voice option if it's not supposed to work with the left voice.

Thanks

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2019, 05:18:45 AM »
I have the Solution!

Go to the Mixing Console.
And Set the Pitch Bend Range for the left Hand.
The Pedal works after that.
Regards Norman.

Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2019, 05:27:11 AM »
But there is a problem and Yamaha Should be Notified,,
The Pitch Bend (Glide)
Works only with Pitch Bend Range on the Mixing Console
It even Corresponds with the Value in the Mixing Console ( Only)

Norman.

Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2019, 05:51:14 PM »
Has anyone tried it out yet??

Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 08:08:51 PM »
Hi Norman,

I have checked out your observation on both my Genos and Tyros4 and you are quite correct.

In spite of how it might appear, the Pitch Bend range of the Left voice is not set by the 'Range' button on the Genos 'Assignable' display or the Tyros4 'Controller' display.  Instead it must be set on the Genos 'Keyboard/Joystick' or the Tyros4 'Mixing Console - Tune' displays.

The default setting for this seems to be 0 which means that if the range is still set at the default value and you assign Pitch Bend to a pedal and include the Left Voice, unless you change the Range on the Genos 'Keyboard/Joystick' (Tyros4 'Mixing Console - Tune') display, the pedal won't produce any pitch bend on the Left voice!

If you set the pitch bend range on the Genos 'Assignable' display (or Tyros4 'Controller' display), this changes the range for all Right voice parts but not the Left part, on the Genos 'Keyboard/Joystick' (or the Tyros4 'Mixing Console - Tune') display, but on the 'Assignable' display you can set different ranges for each Right voice part, and as long as you don't subsequently change the single value on this display, this produces different bends for each part when the pedal is used.  However the 'Range' button on the 'Assignable' display obviously can't show the correct setting for each part (since there is only one button).  What is displayed there seems to be anyone's guess, but whatever it shows, it is virtually useless in such a situation.

In terms of Glide, this only works for the Left voice if its Pitch Bend range on the above display is set to a value other than 0.  The range of the Glide is then set to the same as the Pitch Bend range, rather than what the pedal setting display indicates!  At least the 'Up/Down' and 'On Speed'/'Off Speed' on the latter display are correct for all Left and Right parts.

So, well spotted Norman, since it means that contrary to how it appears, Pitch Bend and Glide can be assigned to a pedal for the Left voice part, in spite of Yamaha's best attempts to confuse us!

I assume that this situation has existed for many years on many models of Tyros & PSRs, so maybe Yamaha think that all is perfectly OK and there is no need to bother mentioning anything about it in the manuals!

I''ll let anyone who needs to use this function check out what happens if you store such settings in a registration!  ::)   

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 08:23:16 PM by tyrosaurus »

Offline Marty

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2019, 08:44:31 PM »
Hi

Thanks Norman and Ian. I can confirm by using the Tune page within the Mixing Console and pitch bend range to a value other than zero I am able to achieve pitch bend and glide with a left voice.

Could be a little less confusing but at least it works!

Marty