Author Topic: WHAT'S GREAT & WHAT'S NOT | Yamaha PSR SX700 & PSR-SX900  (Read 4941 times)

Offline ton37

WHAT'S GREAT & WHAT'S NOT | Yamaha PSR SX700 & PSR-SX900
« on: November 18, 2019, 07:25:06 PM »
FYI...

The latest Yamaha arranger keyboards PSR-SX700 & PSR-SX900 are great but here are a few features and flaws which Yamaha failed to address.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhoCqc3ZbdE
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Joe H

Re: WHAT'S GREAT & WHAT'S NOT | Yamaha PSR SX700 & PSR-SX900
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 07:58:35 PM »
Jeremy is coming from a music teacher's point of view who teaches and plays traditional music.  But we don't all use the arranger in the same way. I could counter argue many of his points about the likes and dislikes he has presented... which are just his own opinions.  There are many other points of view that are legitimate as well.

I don't see a lot of value in many of his Youtube presentations.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline panos

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 12:10:30 AM »
I liked the conclusions:
If you want to create sounds buy a synthesizer and if you want a midi controller buy a midi controller.
This is an arranger keyboard and it is designed for playing with STYLES maybe?

I like that korg has more pro tools to handle a voice.
The problem is with the voice sample itself and some basic voices there....well....not my taste,so....
If the scotch ain't taste good don't blame it on the shape of the rocks, if you know what I mean.  :)

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 12:16:43 AM »
Just watched and I know he's more of a Korg OS guy, but that being said...
The one dislike that has me concerned is the screen angle. (I'm awaiting delivery of a SX-900) I don't know why Yamaha didn't angle the screen, or better yet, a tilt screen would have been nice. Does anyone agree with his "washed out" view opinion? Is it that bad you can't naturally see the bottom of the display?

Also he may or may not be correct about a T-4, or a T-5 being better, but a USED T-5 is at least $1,000 more than a new SX-900

So for me, most of his dislikes are minor issues, while his likes are major upgrades. His dislikes should not damper your decision to purchase the SX-900. They are just opinions after all. Nothing is perfect.

I recently bought a new TV, and drove myself crazy listening to all the likes and dislikes. Finally just made a decision to buy one, after realizing again, that nothing is perfect.

Nice video though, thanks for the heads up Ton
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline paulman

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 12:26:30 AM »
I agree with Jeremy's comment about the screen angle on the PSR-SX900/SX700.  I am also a reasonably tall individual at 6 foot, and I do indeed have to lean my head over the keyboard in order to get a clear view of the display screen.  If I am sitting back comfortable on my bench, the very bottom of the display screen is indeed partially blocked from view by the display bezel.  I haven't had major issues with this limitation so far, mainly because I use a 40" HDTV as an external monitor when I'm using the instrument in my studio.  The external display is beautiful and clear (and large!) at any viewing angle.  It would have been nice if Yamaha had provided a tilt function on the built-in display.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 01:24:18 AM »
Over the years, arranger keyboard displays have improved dramatically, but when I had glare problems I merely adjusted the angle of the entire keyboard using a pair of inexpensive, rubber, door stops available at any hardware store for under $2 each. I attached them to the back end of the keyboard stand using cable ties and they stayed in place forever.

There's more than one way to skin a cat!

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

saxxman

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 02:27:15 AM »
I agree w/Gary!  I am 5'8" tall and am looking at the screen from a sitting position - no problem seeing the bottom row.  I do agree that the screen is brighter the closer you get to 90 degrees over it... so tilting the keyboard slightly with the door stops would definitely improve the brightness.

Online Graham UK

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 06:51:37 AM »
Myself I agreed with Jeremy's assessment, conclusion a nice clean T5 is a better buy keyboard than SX models...Excellent Keybed with after-touch. Overall better construction. A few months ago I bought T5 76 with one year warranty for £1765 UK.
DGX670

Offline ton37

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 07:05:40 AM »
We must not forget that we are blessed that we have choices! ;)
My best regards,
Ton

The following users thanked this post: Gunnar Jonny

konaboy

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 06:04:48 PM »
good vldeo and agree mostly with the review.

i concur that the layout of the home screen is wasteful with the artistic and largely useless photos of the instruments.  get rid of them and bump up the font sizes instead, or give us the option.

totally disagree with him on his desire to have the usb thumbdrive located on the front panel, that just leads to very ugly visable sockets that ruins the cosmetics.  No issues at all with plugging in a large capacity low-profile usb thumb drive in the back and then forgetting about it.

shame on yamaha for spoiling the look of the P515 with ugly recessed USB ports on the front panel of their flagship piano.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 07:36:00 PM »
... when I had glare problems I merely adjusted the angle of the entire keyboard...

There's more than one way to skin a cat!

Gary 8)

I've done the same thing in my MIDI studio for the S910 and S970... works very well thank you!

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html