Author Topic: The Best Usage of Registration Memories  (Read 57932 times)

melokeyz

The Best Usage of Registration Memories
« on: August 02, 2019, 06:42:04 PM »
Dear all,

What's your best usage strategy of registration memories?
A bank for each style or a bank for multiple styles by utilizing the freeze button?

For me, I rename each bank to the name of a style and I use that bank for that style. Some people use the same bank with multiple styles when they know that they need the same instruments in that bank in other styles but in this case the freeze button MUST be pressed after selecting other style.

I am completely new to arrangers and reg. memories and want to know their best utilization strategy.

Offline Toril S

Re: The Best Usage of Registration Memories
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 07:36:43 PM »
There is no best way in doing it, the way that suits you is the best :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 08:24:09 PM »
I use a bank of 1 up to 10 registration buttons for each melody . . . 

I name the memory bank with the name of the melody.

thanks

melody = song or performance.

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 12:58:22 AM »
Dear all,

What's your best usage strategy of registration memories?
A bank for each style or a bank for multiple styles by utilizing the freeze button?

For me, I rename each bank to the name of a style and I use that bank for that style. Some people use the same bank with multiple styles when they know that they need the same instruments in that bank in other styles but in this case the freeze button MUST be pressed after selecting other style.

I am completely new to arrangers and reg. memories and want to know their best utilization strategy.

Like many people, I use one bank for each song. The name of the bank is the name of the song.

I never use Freeze (while performing), as I find it's impossible to remember what's frozen and what's not.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline metcam

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 12:52:23 PM »

1 Bank = 1 song.

Regards
Curent Instruments:  PSR A-5000
Previus instruments:SX-900,GENOS,PSR-A3000,PSR9000,Tyros2,Tyros3,TYROS5,psr2000,psr2100,psr1500,psr530,psr OR700,DX7,DX11,V50,DX21.
KORG:pa800,KORG PA-900,Triton Extreme,Triton rack,.KORG X3,Roland G600.Roland

Murat

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 05:41:23 PM »
Good question -

I use mine as my favourite sounds. I have my favourite styles saved under user and favourites.

When I want to play a song I select the appropriate style and start playing. Of course the styles have the 4no TOSs and the sounds saved in registrations; I really like it this way.

My opinion about using a bank of registrations for a song, it is not far of from playing a midi file. Everything is set; you don’t need to change a sound, or variation of a style, simply keep pressing a registration button – for me this is not fun (my opinion).

Offline panos

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 09:44:44 PM »
The hardest songs to play were those where I have to use more than one bank of registrations like that one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv6yr9Smysw

If they sounds like a midi or not?
Well..... I wish they would.I am not that accurate ;D
They sound what they sound,I play what I play....
Yes I have to push a lot of buttons.I don't feel bad about it.I don't play a digital piano.I play an arranger/synthesizer.
In fact I spend more time to be accurate when to push those buttons and where to "put" them in the song to be able to get my hands back on the keybed, than learning to play the actual song.
Try to use different DSP effects while changing sounds to see the degree of difficulty. :)
And I spend even more time to make the "arrangement".
Everything is part of the fun of keyboard playing.

Anyway...
Best use of registrations?
One registration for every different song .
(When the song requires a registration.Not all songs do).
Every song has it's own style or styles,voices etc.

And some banks of registrations with just some "favourite" sounds without styles and other stuff.
Just to be easy to find some modified combinations of sounds.

Offline jdup

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2019, 12:05:03 AM »
I followed Fred Smith's advice, and I am so glad I did..............one bank per song, and I named it with the name of the song.

I recommend whichever method you choose, that you test it for a few weeks. Once that you have 100 registrations, you will not want to go back and reverse your decision.

Thanks, and thank you Fred!

Jim Duprey
Jim Duprey
Genos, Bose S1 Pro (2)
Former Keyboard: PSR-S770

Offline valimaties

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2019, 11:38:39 AM »
Depending on what you play and how!

Me, in my band, I'm only the orchestrator. What means that? I rarely play solos with my right hand, most of job is to play guitar as chords or pianos with my right hand. For those songs when I play solo with right hand I use only OTSes, there are enough 4 OTSes for me, which are 4 different voices combinations which you can save directly in style. So, I don't need more than ONE SONG PER REGISTRATION, and in this conditions I have 10 songs per registration bank.

If you play a lot of things and you need more than 4 OTSes I think it's better use 1 song per registration bank and you will save different voices or settings per registration memory.

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Patrick

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 08:52:10 AM »
Hi, i use one song per bank; all the styles, lyrics and registrations are in the same folder; i have the lyrics on the screen when i play, i've the Harmony on the pedal one and OTS on the styles and i'm ready to start; an example with Genos, Tyros 5 and 4, PSR S970 and S770 to try (some voices are missing dépends of the KB); hope it'll works as i've made the registration on Yamaha Registration Manager; have a nice Sunday Patrick
 :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

The following users thanked this post: amateur, Dick Rector, Jacob, pethep, ticktock

Antonio

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 03:25:34 PM »
 :)

I use also one bank for each song. The name of the bank is the name of the song.
Always and However the best solution.

The following users thanked this post: Georgeandmarj

melokeyz

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2019, 12:17:35 AM »
Oh boy ... I almost forgot about this question and I wonder why I am having a problem getting a notification email for every reply. I have to check my settings.

Thanks all for your valuable response. Now, I can rest assured that I am doing the common practice. Also, I read (somewhere, can't remember) that Genos provides an UNLIMITED number of reg. Banks. I searched in all the manuals for this keyword but couldn't find it. If this is the case, then I can comfortably create as much banks as I need. I thought there's a limitation in the number of banks and my strategy is going to consume bank resources.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2019, 02:03:43 AM »
Oh boy ... I almost forgot about this question and I wonder why I am having a problem getting a notification email for every reply. I have to check my settings.

Thanks all for your valuable response. Now, I can rest assured that I am doing the common practice. Also, I read (somewhere, can't remember) that Genos provides an UNLIMITED number of reg. Banks. I searched in all the manuals for this keyword but couldn't find it. If this is the case, then I can comfortably create as much banks as I need. I thought there's a limitation in the number of banks and my strategy is going to consume bank resources.

All keyboards support an "unlimited" number of registration banks, meaning limited only by the amount of storage you have, which these days is unlimited.

The only real limit is the number of banks you can store in a folder — 2500 for Genos, 500 for Tyros and modern PSRs, and 250 for old PSRs.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Dnj

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 02:10:03 PM »
I use one registration per song and 4 OTS sounds which gives me a total of 12 RH sounds
and I keep ots link OFF also so I can choose whatever sounds I want during the song.

Or set up your favorite sounds in the 10 reg buttons and hit FREEZE so you can select any sound during a song.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 02:07:46 PM by Dnj »