Author Topic: Song recording and transpose problem  (Read 16860 times)

Arrangerpassion123

Song recording and transpose problem
« on: October 30, 2019, 01:26:21 AM »
Hello everyone, it's been a while! Here is my problem: As you probably know, I have a PSR-S770 since 2016, and, until now, I was able to record a song in a particular transposed key (such as Bb) and get it played back at the same key every time without hitting the Transpose buttons, but now that I had to factory reset the keyboard to install a self made expansion package, I am not able to do it anymore, because it always transposes back to C! I don't know what I did to make it save the transposition data on the songs, before! Can you help me, please?

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Song recording and transpose problem
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 01:30:48 AM »
Hello everyone, it's been a while! Here is my problem: As you probably know, I have a PSR-S770 since 2016, and, until now, I was able to record a song in a particular transposed key (such as Bb) and get it played back at the same key every time without hitting the Transpose buttons, but now that I had to factory reset the keyboard to install a self made expansion package, I am not able to do it anymore, because it always transposes back to C! I don't know what I did to make it save the transposition data on the songs, before! Can you help me, please?

You need to set a Transpose Assign to Song. It’s one of your settings.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Arrangerpassion123

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 01:49:15 AM »
Ah, thank you! I tried it, but I was not sure if it was the right setting, as I wasn't able to control the whole keyboard's transposition, after selecting it

Arrangerpassion123

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 02:01:44 AM »
You need to set a Transpose Assign to Song. It’s one of your settings.

Cheers,
Fred
I have another problem, now I can't transpose the whole keyboard anymore! Previously I managed to make it automatically save the transposition data on the MIDI file itself, so that when played back on a computer, it sounded just like I recorded it, now I can't anymore

Arrangerpassion123

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 02:17:37 AM »
I think I got it to work again, activating the Punch out in Song creator and assigning the transpose buttons to Keuboard

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 02:53:10 AM »
Hi Arrangerpassion123,

here is my suggestion:

1. Press [Direct Access] button and then the [Transpose -] OR the [Transpose +] button to open the "Transpose Assign" display.

2. Use [4] / [5] buttons to select "KEYBOARD" here.

3. Press [Exit] button to close this display and to save this setting in the "System Setup".

Now the [Transpose - / +] buttons will affect the Keyboard , Style and Multi Pad Parts only and will NOT affect the (MIDI) SONG.

If you have the Keyboard transposed when recording a MIDI file, always the "sounding" notes will be recorded in the MIDI file. (To play back the MIDI file in the same key as recorded, the Transpose parameter "SONG" must be set to zero).

To be completely safe which values are actually set, go to Mixing Console ---> Tab "Tune" and make sure that the parameters "Master" and "Song" are set to zero (0).

P.S.
The Transpose settings in Mixing Console ---> Tab "Tune" can be memorized to Registrations (if the box "Transpose" is checked in "Memory" dialog). Therefore the Transpose settings could be accidentally changed by calling up Registrations. In doubt, please always look under Mixing Console ---> Tab "Tune". :)

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Arrangerpassion123

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 07:21:05 PM »
Hi Arrangerpassion123,

here is my suggestion:

1. Press [Direct Access] button and then the [Transpose -] OR the [Transpose +] button to open the "Transpose Assign" display.

2. Use [4] / [5] buttons to select "KEYBOARD" here.

3. Press [Exit] button to close this display and to save this setting in the "System Setup".

Now the [Transpose - / +] buttons will affect the Keyboard , Style and Multi Pad Parts only and will NOT affect the (MIDI) SONG.

If you have the Keyboard transposed when recording a MIDI file, always the "sounding" notes will be recorded in the MIDI file. (To play back the MIDI file in the same key as recorded, the Transpose parameter "SONG" must be set to zero).

To be completely safe which values are actually set, go to Mixing Console ---> Tab "Tune" and make sure that the parameters "Master" and "Song" are set to zero (0).

P.S.
The Transpose settings in Mixing Console ---> Tab "Tune" can be memorized to Registrations (if the box "Transpose" is checked in "Memory" dialog). Therefore the Transpose settings could be accidentally changed by calling up Registrations. In doubt, please always look under Mixing Console ---> Tab "Tune". :)

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
Thank you very much, Chris, for the great info! I got it to work again, now!