Author Topic: SX900 Style Volume  (Read 66018 times)

Pino

SX900 Style Volume
« on: October 28, 2019, 08:38:54 AM »
Does the SX900 have a style volume slider or controller somewhere?

Offline ton37

Re: SX900 Style Volume
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 09:09:41 AM »
A expression/volumepedal  maybe?
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Telmo

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 12:33:37 PM »
Does the SX900 have a style volume slider or controller somewhere?
Just go to Mixer Display

[attachment deleted by admin]
Yamaha PSR-SX-900, JBL EON ONE Linear-Array PA System.
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Telmo3190
"We are Old Too quick... and Wise too late."

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 02:16:00 PM »
Hi Pino,

I don't have an SX, but looking at the manuals, it seems to have similar functions to my Genos, albeit with fewer knobs and no sliders.

So you might want to try the following.

Open the 'Live Control' display and select the knob that you want to use by touching it.

In the display that opens select Category : Mixer and Function  : Volume.

Close this display to return to the Live Control one.

At the bottom of the display you will now see a series of check boxes for the various groups and parts that can be controlled for volume.

Select 'Panel' and place a check mark in the box for the relevant part, which in your case is Style.

You should now be able to adjust the style volume using the knob.

The Live Control assignments are System settings so should remain as set through power off/on cycles.

However they can also be included in registrations, so they may be overwritten if you use a reg. that was memorised to include Live Control with different assignments.

Regards

Ian 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 02:18:37 PM by tyrosaurus »

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Pino

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 04:09:47 PM »
Thanks guys for your replies
I was probably to quick off the mark there,
It’s all in the manual.

I’ve got it sorted
It’s all there, just in different locations
➕ as Ian pointed out - we can assign a style/voices Balance to Knob 1
Which is a very handy feature

This is the best mid-range keyboard I’ve owned so far,
If it had a ‘MusicFinder’ I’d like it even more.

Pino

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 04:40:37 PM »
... This is the best mid-range keyboard I’ve owned so far,
If it had a ‘MusicFinder’ I’d like it even more. ...

Hi Pino,

instead of the "old" Music Finder, on SX900 you have the Playlist function now. But you can also import Music Finder files (.mfd) from older keyboard models, if needed.

Please look here:

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,52277.msg409070.html#msg409070

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Pino

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 05:34:33 PM »
Chris - Here is something I posted a few days ago, its more to do with the ‘repertoire’ feature which was part of the MF

SX900 - Song suggestions for a Style (Repertoire)

Finding Suitable Songs for the Current Style (Repertoire)
You can search for music pieces and songs that are most suitable for playing with the current Style by using the Music Finder Records.

I’m almost lost without this feature,
Is this feature on the SX somewhere or has it been abandoned.

The playlist is just not helpful, before we had a lot of "Song, style, beat, tempo" information, now we have very little.
I’ve just loaded a style ‘70sPopDuo2", really nice intros, I could develop this style further but I need more information at this stage, before, if you pressed the repertoire button then it would throw up 6 or 7 song suggestions, from there it was easy, or sometimes I can hear a song in the intro but I just can’t  remember the name of the song and had to pass on that style,
I’m sure whoever did program the style had a few song ideas for his style.

The user manual says "By importing Music Finder Records used on previous Yamaha keyboards (such as the PSR-S975/S775), you can use the Records on the Playlist of the PSR-SX900/SX700, just like using the Music Finder function on those other instruments", but, not the same.

Is there an up-to-date Sx900 Playlist text file somewhere for PC or iPad where I can search for style to song suggestions and maybe "Song, style, beat, tempo"info? I really miss this feature,

I like the SX but the playlist and repertoire on the S950 and older PSR’s were so much better. The SX needs the MusicFinder alongside the PlayList, Playlist on it’s own is not enough.

Maybe I’ve missed something here and someone can point me to the "Style Repertoire" file/page or how to quickly get suggested song information for a particular style.

Pino

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 08:25:24 PM »
Interesting how different musicians feel about features.  As far as I'm concerned the Playlist feature was the goose that laid the golden egg. I've been saying for years too bad Yamaha did introduce a playlist feature that could be controlled and work in harmony with registarations!   Love this feature and I don't miss music finder at all. Once you have a handle and understanding of how it works you'll enjoy the feature.  I haven't got the sx900 yet but I'm also betting that your registrations can change lead sheets on the iPad using Songbook+
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 09:23:40 PM »
Interesting how different musicians feel about features.  As far as I'm concerned the Playlist feature was the goose that laid the golden egg. I've been saying for years too bad Yamaha did introduce a playlist feature that could be controlled and work in harmony with registarations!   Love this feature and I don't miss music finder at all. Once you have a handle and understanding of how it works you'll enjoy the feature.  I haven't got the sx900 yet but I'm also betting that your registrations can change lead sheets on the iPad using Songbook+

Hi Stephen,
I  hadn’t even gotten round to using registrations in my S950 or songbook in any of my korgs.
After fiddling round with the playlist function the other day, realised just how useful the registrations and playlist function are going to be.

Is songbook + an Apple app to store music?
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 10:27:57 PM »
Hi Stephen,
I  hadn’t even gotten round to using registrations in my S950 or songbook in any of my korgs.
After fiddling round with the playlist function the other day, realised just how useful the registrations and playlist function are going to be.

Hi Rikki,
'
Yes Songbook + can be found in the Apple app store.  Just do a search for it and you'll find it.  I love the fact that if I pick a lead sheet on my iPad the corresponding registration I created for it comes up on the Genos and vice versa.

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 01:06:31 AM »
Hi Stephen,

Yes, but there are lots of "songbook" apps. Make sure it's the one by Baum software.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2019, 03:17:01 AM »
Yes, but there are lots of "songbook" apps. Make sure it's the one by Baum software.

Cheers,
Fred

Good point Fred I'm glad you mentioned that to Rikki.

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Pino

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2019, 03:32:51 AM »
Interesting how different musicians feel about features.  As far as I'm concerned the Playlist feature was the goose that laid the golden egg. I've been saying for years too bad Yamaha did introduce a playlist feature that could be controlled and work in harmony with registarations! 

Stephenm52
Yamaha arranger keyboards has had a Playlist for at least the past 10 years, the only difference is it had 8 songs per page as opposed to now 10 songs per page.

I have no problem with the new playlist feature, I’ve been using it from day 1, easy as ABC,
SongBook+ works as before.

if you read my post again it refers to a feature we had before called “Repertoire", if you called up a style you could press the ‘repertoire’ button and it would give you song suggestions to go with the style, also, sometimes I am looking for songs of the same tempo or style, the old MF could find this information quickly. Now we have no style to song information.

Pino

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2019, 03:41:01 AM »
Stephenm52
Yamaha arranger keyboards has had a Playlist for at least the past 10 years, the only difference is it had 8 songs per page as opposed to now 10 songs per page.

I have no problem with the new playlist feature, I’ve been using it from day 1, easy as ABC,

if you read my post again it refers to a feature we had before called “Repertoire", if you called up a style you could press the ‘repertoire’ button and it would give you song suggestions to go with the style, also, sometimes I am looking for songs of the same tempo or style, the old MF could find this information quickly. Now we have no style to song information.

Pino

Ok got it I remember repertoire, now that you mention it, I had forgotten about it because I never used it.  The new Playlist feature unlike the former Music Finder/MFD would not recognize  registrations  Playlist does and that's what I think was needed.   Have fun and play on Pino! :)

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Pino

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2019, 03:52:42 AM »
The playlist had nothing to do with the MF
It worked from Registration banks
80 songs per bank - 8 songs per page,
Worked flawlessly.

Pino

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2019, 05:28:17 AM »

I agree about the repertoire feature in the Music Finder of the Tyros.

But where was the Playlist feature prior to the Genos?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2019, 06:55:18 AM »
Thank you Stephen and Fred,
I’ll go check it out.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2019, 11:41:43 AM »
I agree about the repertoire feature in the Music Finder of the Tyros.

But where was the Playlist feature prior to the Genos?

Cheers,
Fred

Rikki you're welcome.

Yes I'd like to know where the Playlist feature was before Genos.

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline EileenL

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2019, 12:14:59 PM »
To my Knowledge there wasn't one. Everyone had been asking for Music Finder to remember more such as registrations And Pedal functions and now you have it in Play Lists which are far more useful as you can set up your own favorites or gig lists.
  I always think of a song I want to play and then sort out a style to my liking so have never used OTS anyway.

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2019, 12:33:41 PM »
To my Knowledge there wasn't one. Everyone had been asking for Music Finder to remember more such as registrations And Pedal functions and now you have it in Play Lists which are far more useful as you can set up your own favorites or gig lists.
  I always think of a song I want to play and then sort out a style to my liking so have never used OTS anyway.

I was pretty sure there wasn't one either, thanks for verifying that.

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Pino

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2019, 01:27:10 PM »
Playlist for All PSRs and Tyros (nothing new)

Stephen, I’m surprised that you’ve owned so many top end Yamaha keyboards and your a gigging musician that you haven’t got this Playlist thing covered. I have been using this playlist on all my Yamaha's since the PSR 3000.
I know about 10 musicians that play YAMAHA keyboards, most of these guys are gigging musicians, we all use this system and the same PlayList function for non stop ‘back to back’ music.

Pino

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2019, 01:40:50 PM »
Pino,  Excellent illustration.   I see it’s just a matter of terminology.  Yes I have used playlists on all my arrangers for easily segueing from one song to the next especially when playing gigs.  However Yamaha has never called it a Playlist as we now see on the Genos and the SX900.  I believe it’s a bit of mis-interpretation of what we call play lists.  I prefer the new system, prior to the new system I did put my registrations in folders so theoretically you can call it a playlist .   

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2019, 02:02:32 PM »
Playlist for All PSRs and Tyros (nothing new)

Stephen, I’m surprised that you’ve owned so many top end Yamaha keyboards and your a gigging musician that you haven’t got this Playlist thing covered. I have been using this playlist on all my Yamaha's since the PSR 3000.
I know about 10 musicians that play YAMAHA keyboards, most of these guys are gigging musicians, we all use this system and the same PlayList function for non stop ‘back to back’ music.

Ok, so now we know, Pino. When you say "Playlist", you mean "Registrations". So nothing new. Basically your version of Gary Diamond's gig disk. We all have our own version of these.

I’m with Stephen. I much prefer the Genos playlist. I control the song order. I can have more than one registration per song.

And before you post back, nothing here disagrees with your point that the Tyros Repertoire feature would be a useful addition to the Genos.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Pino

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2019, 02:10:32 PM »
The new playlist is easier to assemble and it’s just a link to a registration which mean we can edit the original registration as much as we want without any effect on the playlist.

The SX900 is turning out to be a cool board, I have to move mine nearly everyday and it’s such a real joy to sling it on my back and go, small weight, small size, perfect for gigging.

I played the S950 today, it was such hassle, I was banging the screen all the time thinking it was a touch screen, I don’t think I’ll be able to gig with it anymore, once you get used to a touch screen there’s no going back.

Pino

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2019, 02:18:21 PM »
I played the S950 today, it was such hassle, I was banging the screen all the time thinking it was a touch screen, I don’t think I’ll be able to gig with it anymore, once you get used to a touch screen there’s no going back.

I’m with you, Pino. I’ve banged many a screen before remembering it wasn’t touch.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ