Author Topic: Genos and Me..the Story so Far !!!!!  (Read 65611 times)

Offline shadowhankron

Genos and Me..the Story so Far !!!!!
« on: October 28, 2019, 05:41:27 PM »

Hi Everyone

Well my last post on 5th October 2019 regarding of poor Speaker Sound..well I am glad to mention I returned the Subzero Speakers to Gear4Music and got my money refunded,  I then bought the Yamaha HS7 Studio Monitors from A & C Hamiltons where I bought the Genos.
Well the Sound from the Genos has improved with the HS7 Monitors....although Speakers are Close to the Wall, I needed to adjust the Room Control to -2  and Trim to +2., so far fine.

I still cannot get that Piano sound as I need it with the correct amount of Room Reverb and EQ.

I do not Understand YEM at all, and Eileen Lowery kindly  sent me Piano Sounds but I think it needs YEM to load.

Registrations are still a mystery to me, but I think I will get there some day.

I find Tweaking the Styles by changing Voices  weird and that I get high pinch tone when changing a Mega Voice.

I will need more help each week on trying to Enjoy further fun with the Genos.

Thanks all for reading this Thread.

Ronnie
 ::) ::) 8) 8) 8)
Genos 1 Keyboard / PSR S 970 /  Korg PA4X  keyboard /  Yamaha HS 7 Studio Monitors  / Motif Rack XS /
Roland Integra 7 /,Fender  Strat & Telecaster & Burns Marvin White Guitar, Tascam DP 32 track Recorder.

Offline Toril S

Re: Genos and Me..the Story so Far !!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 07:28:21 PM »
I also have a new Genos. Ronnie, we will one day master this magnificent beast! Have faith😀😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 11:01:35 PM »
Hi Ron and Toril

Try going through the one Touch buttons as Yamaha made them and then  listen to  the the voices.
If you come accross a sound that you like including piano, go to the voice edit and look at the way the sound was produced by Yamaha.
You can brigten sounds up and soften them. Make them more or less responsive to touch etc
Loads of things in there to improve the sound. Look at the effects as well because that can improve the sound the way you imagined.
In the voice edit mode you can even get at all the drum parts and adjust them. I find some kicks and snares to heavy sometimes.
That is what i do , go to one touch to find say a sax and then i know it is in the ball park. I then adjust and experiment.
Keep going at it and all becomes easier in time.
I am trying to emulate the 60s type sounds with Disco strings behind a sax  lead and slowly it is coming. very much like Love grows, My Baby loves lovin etc.
This type of sound lays off the reverb to give it a more natural 60s feel . Same as Hot Chocolate style of music.
It is all a worry when firstly delving into the Genos , but it keeps us busy  :)

Personally i think it would be great if Yamaha made  us a sound tweak book for the Genos like they did with the M1 fm sound of the past (patch editing)
Then again they would not sell their Soundpacks. uuuuugh!! "Sausages"!!! 8)

All the Best
john :) :) 8)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 11:12:36 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 11:51:23 PM »
Hi Ronnie,
  It was a registration bank I sent of pianos just tweaked up in voice edit. Just load in as a normal registration

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 12:23:34 AM »
I find whenever I try tweaking sounds I tend to go back to the Yamaha original sound. Obviously Yamaha have experts to make their sounds.

If I want something out of the ordinary I tend to use a software plugin in the DAW to get it. Band in a Box has some nice instruments, so does Sampletank and Sforzando.

Regards,
Richard

The following users thanked this post: elad770

Offline Toril S

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 12:34:59 AM »
Thanks John! Yes, Richard, Yamaha sounds are good, but after giving a trumpet some more reverb and fiddling a little with other settings too, and finding it soundet much better, I have started to use voice set more. But not always. I also tend to like the legacy voices.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline elad770

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 02:14:12 AM »
I find whenever I try tweaking sounds I tend to go back to the Yamaha original sound. Obviously Yamaha have experts to make their sounds.

If I want something out of the ordinary I tend to use a software plugin in the DAW to get it. Band in a Box has some nice instruments, so does Sampletank and Sforzando.

Regards,
Richard

Would you be kind to repost the Reg for Pianos?
I also struggle sometimes with piano sounds.

Thanks so much

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 11:57:53 AM »
Hi Elad,
  Here they are

[attachment deleted by admin]

The following users thanked this post: Jacob, harmonic, JohnS, trebor1950, elad770, Nevjol, GUILLERMO

Offline shadowhankron

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 03:45:34 PM »

Hi Toril S

Thanks for replying , Yes we both are the Beginners with this Beast of a Music Machine ..I think You will understand it Better than I will.

Ronnie ::) ::)
Genos 1 Keyboard / PSR S 970 /  Korg PA4X  keyboard /  Yamaha HS 7 Studio Monitors  / Motif Rack XS /
Roland Integra 7 /,Fender  Strat & Telecaster & Burns Marvin White Guitar, Tascam DP 32 track Recorder.

The following users thanked this post: elad770, GUILLERMO

Offline shadowhankron

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 03:51:46 PM »

Hi Ugawoga (John)

Great Feedback from you...I am too am  interested in the Drum Edit on the  Genos..I have Drum Edit on the Korg PA4x which is Great. Can you change any Drum or Cymbal within any Kit.

You too seem interested in Music of the 60`s,  like myself.  I have tried using OTS sounds to edit Sounds without Great Success.

Still a very Interesting Machine to keep busy exploring when not playing Tunes.

Regards

Ronnie
 :) 8) :'( :'(

Offline shadowhankron

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 04:01:50 PM »

Eileen

Sorry for the Mix Up on your Registration Pianos , as I found it difficult Loading.... then I thought this was YEM..which I dont understand
I admire your great Knowledge on knowing these Keyboards.

I am still learning how to use Registrations as I never tried on Previous Yamaha or Korg Keyboards.

As I am a Fan of Hank Marvin and The Shadows Music ..on you tube I saw Demo of Hank Marvin Guitar sounds which gave me the WOW factor, but I still cannot come up with any Good Results... I do realise that lots of tweaking of Reverbs and the Right Amp....British Combo....are what I need to edit with...I use to play Lead Guitar in my younger days and never lost interest in its sounds on keyboard.

I will try again to load your Piano Reg...to try out..I apologise for not thanking you earlier when you sent them....

Regards

Ronnie   :) ;) ;) ;)

Offline shadowhankron

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2019, 04:03:59 PM »

Richard

Thanks for your input..I am sorry I dont understand the use of DAW or Band in the Box programmes.....

Ronnie   ???

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2019, 08:29:20 PM »
Ronnie, perhaps I can help.

DAW
DAW stands for Digital Audio Workstation. It can be an electronic device or application software used for recording, editing, and producing audio and MIDI files on your PC or Mac.

Band In A Box
This is an application that was developed in the early 90s (perhaps even late 80s?). You enter the chords into the measures on the screen and a rhythm, bass, and other accompaniment instrument sounds are generated based on your chords. It is very similar to using the Genos, except that the chords can be stored and re-opened. You can do that on the Genos too, but that's another lesson altogether :).

In both cases, you can generate audio tracks and import them for playback on your Genos. Then, you can play along with them using the full keybed as a piano, organ, or whatever you want.

- Lee
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 08:31:04 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2019, 01:07:23 AM »
Hi Ronnie,

In today's world, where computers are extremely powerful, one can actually choose between making music with a keyboard such as the Genos, which is itself a computer with built in samples of various instruments, or one can just use a computer with software called a DAW as Lee explained and load in instrument samples, which are available from many places.

If we just use software, we can purchase a cheap midi keyboard, typically less than $300 and attach it to the computer. so that we can play the instruments. Heck we can even use a guitar to make the sounds.

Have a listen to one of the best, if not the best, piano software instruments called Keyscape. Here are a few links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewyl0c7f_lQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew-jWmB8XFM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VlZ3OiRReM

Hope that helps your understanding.
Richard
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 01:22:07 AM by RichardL »

beykock

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2019, 11:29:12 AM »
Hi Richard :

Which version of Keyscape do you advise ?
Thank you for your reply.

Babette
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 11:30:14 AM by beykock »

Offline shadowhankron

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2019, 11:53:59 AM »

Lee & Richard

Thanks for explaining the DAW and Band Box information.

My main questions in my introduction of this Thread were...

Piano Sound Tweaking

Not understanding YEM at all

Tweaking of Voices with the High Pitch tone of Mega Voices

regarding Registrations..I feel I managed the Use of Them plus creating Folders etc.....

It is great to know many people here are of fantastic help to others whom struggle, to them I THANK YOU ALL

regards
Ronnie
 :-* ;D ;D :D

Offline EileenL

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2019, 01:20:46 PM »
Hi Ronnie,
  To go back to your original post re Megga voices. These were designed to work with styles and make them sound more realistic. The sound its self is made up of all different velocities which make the sound alter slightly when played back in the style. The most suitable ones are selected by the style programmer to give you the best from what ever style you choose. Trying to change these will usually cause unwanted high pitched sounds that you have experienced so it is far better to leave these styles as they are.

Offline pjd

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2019, 05:24:52 PM »
Hi Ronnie --

Just to build on Eileen's explanation, it is possible to convert a part's MIDI from MegaVoice to a regular voice, but it takes a lot of background knowledge and a lot of work (editing, probably in a DAW like Cubase or Sonar).

If you would like to see how a MegaVoice is programmed, please take a look at the MegaVoice Maps starting on page 15 of the Genos Data List PDF. I don't think I would tackle this as someone starting out with Genos!  :)  In comparison, a regular guitar voice doesn't have all of those split up MIDI velocity ranges, nor does it have the high MIDI notes for special effect sounds like fret noise, etc. Those high pitched sounds are coming from those special effect notes.

Sometimes, you might have success substituting a guitar MegaVoice for another guitar MegaVoice. The mappings are similar and sometimes you get lucky.

Hey, hey, have fun with your instrument -- pj

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2019, 05:45:04 PM »
Ronnie,
If you want to play guitar voices and have difficulty in finding the sounds you want, it is a mistake to think of the Megavoices as being an extra resource from which you may get what you want. Far better to select the closest to the sound you can find in the normal presets then experiment with different DSP's and build experience on how to get the sounds you really want.
The SA guitars have built in bending, depending on how you play and in addition the tremolo will vary if you use aftertouch (and you can exaggerate this if required in the Aftertouch section of Voice editor). If that isn't enough you can also assign a pedal to glide to allow you to bend the tone down and back up occasionally like a real Marvin  ;)

John
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 05:48:00 PM by jwyvern »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2019, 06:13:06 PM »
I think Ronnie was only talking about changing Mega voices in a style not playing them. I may be wrong.

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2019, 08:11:10 PM »
Hi Richard :

Which version of Keyscape do you advise ?
Thank you for your reply.

Babette

There's only one version of Keyscape as far as I know. The company (Spectrasonics) do have other products as well though but Keyscape is the one I was talking about. It has a choice of hundreds of piano sounds.

Regards,
RL
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 09:24:40 PM by RichardL »

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2019, 09:10:11 PM »
I think Ronnie was only talking about changing Mega voices in a style not playing them. I may be wrong.
Eileen,
Earlier in the thread Ronnie said
"As I am a Fan of Hank Marvin and The Shadows Music ..on you tube I saw Demo of Hank Marvin Guitar sounds which gave me the WOW factor, but I still cannot come up with any Good Results... I do realise that lots of tweaking of Reverbs and the Right Amp....British Combo....are what I need to edit with...I use to play Lead Guitar in my younger days and never lost interest in its sounds on keyboard."

Hence my reply, John

Offline shadowhankron

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2019, 12:35:12 PM »

Hi Eileen

Thank You for your explanation on styles using Mega Voices....I ask you would Saving the Presets to User make any difference to tweaking them to Legacy voices,  just a thought.
Again Thanks

Ronnie

Offline shadowhankron

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2019, 12:40:56 PM »

PJD

I thank You too for explaining your information on Mega Styles, but the ideas you say are far  :'( :'(   too advanced four my understanding, I just hope someone on the Forum can upload the Genos Presets without Mega Voices to use in songs.

Thanks again

Ronnie    :o :o :o ;D ;D

Offline shadowhankron

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2019, 12:51:59 PM »

jwyvern

Thank You for replying.
From what I understand what you are writing it is about getting the Hank Marvin Guitar sound as heard on youtube Demos.

There is a Video from styles-24.de that has a few Guitar Tones of Hank Marvin......I know the next question is why not buy the Styles ...I tried to use the styles-24 website but No English was available......

I know from my earlier Years on Guitar playing earlier Shadows Tunes that The correct Amplifier and Speaker Size, plus the correct amount of Bass, Treble, Presence....then right amount of  Reverb /Echo was required.
These are almost available except for the  Multi Tap to add into Reverb....which I cannot find.

Thanks Again

Ronnie
 8) 8)

Offline EileenL

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2019, 12:52:36 PM »
No Ronnie once the mega voice has been written into the style saving it to user would make no difference. What is it you do not like about the styles. Some of these may have been on earlier keyboards without Mega voices. What styles are they.

Offline shadowhankron

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2019, 04:11:35 PM »

Hi Eileen

Thanks again for your Time.... It is nothing to do about not liking the Styles with Mega Voices but I like the idea of using other voices  instead of the Mega ones.
As far as I recall...I was able to change the Voices on the Styles within the s970 keyboard.
Eileen there is no particular Style I am requesting...just in General the Choice to make ones own Band sound with Instruments of Choice..

I do notice there is no Female Soprano voice on the Genos....a Voice used on Once upon a Time in The West........luckly I do have that voice on my Korg PA4x...... But not on Genos where I could have saved on Registrations.

regards

Ronnie

:D ;D

Offline Toril S

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2019, 05:44:38 PM »
It is coming with the update in November!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline shadowhankron

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2019, 08:31:57 PM »

Hi Toril S

Do you mean a Female Soprano Voice coming with new update in November....???

Any other Voices do you know about......

Thanks

Ronnie

Offline Toril S

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2019, 09:25:38 PM »
I heard somewhere that a female soprano voice would be in the november update, but just take it with a grain of salt, as I may be wrong. We can hope😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline panos

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2019, 10:44:11 PM »
What's wrong with these Mega voices lately?  ;D

Ronnie,
if a style part with a mega voice is giving you trouble and if you replace that voice with another is giving you another kind of trouble,is there any way that maybe replacing the whole part with a part from another style will solve your problem?
E.g you are using a style A with a bass channel you don't like,you can replace the bass channel with the bass from a style B (that don't use a mega voice) and re-voice that bass to fit to the style A.

Is there any chance someone can upload an mp3 or wav (not a midi !!) recording and just play some chords with the style part/channel that gives that bad result so we can hear it?
He can mute all the other channels.
Are these preset styles on the Genos that have a problem? That's weird...

Offline EileenL

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2019, 01:37:16 AM »
Hi Ronnie,
  The vocal voice mentioned is the one from the Yamaha pack.  Also the trombone and Pan Flutes that will be in the new update plus other voices.

Offline shadowhankron

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2019, 04:48:43 PM »

panos

I could not understand your reply at all,  was it you thought I found Mega Voices awful....  No is the answer I just thought I could substitute another Legacy voice for Different Tone.

Ronnie

Offline shadowhankron

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2019, 04:55:14 PM »

Hi Eileen

Thanks again.......  Gosh it is amazing...I ask why no Female Soprano Voice in the Genos....... and hey presto ! you mention the arrival of the voice in OS 2.0         I wonder  how the Voice will Sound..... apart from Female Soprano...  Panpipes... Trombone..any other Voices like more Guitars..Organs...Piano......and what Styles..

Kind Regards

Ronnie

Offline panos

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2019, 06:25:57 PM »
I find Tweaking the Styles by changing Voices  weird and that I get high pinch tone when changing a Mega Voice.

Hi Ronie,I just thought that mega voices are giving you a bad sound at least when you are changing them with another kind of voice.
So I am just saying that maybe is better to replace the whole part and not just re-voice it.
(Assembly function of the style creator).
It seems that the way the midi part of the style is made for playing with a mega voice, is not that suitable for playing with another kind of voice,as I can understand.

There were some posts lately that not all people like those mega voices parts in some preset styles as they are.

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2019, 09:24:17 PM »
My only issue with mega voices is with the bass parts of the style. I can't get that nice steady volume of a live bass player. I wish it were as easy as just revoicing the bass lines to an SA2 bass instrument but that's when you may get some of those high pitched sounds. In other words, you have to re-record the entire bass line for each part - as long as you want the bass line to remain interesting.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.