Author Topic: How to move notes to bass clef; All notes are in Treble clef.  (Read 49498 times)

OGPrinnny

How to move notes to bass clef; All notes are in Treble clef.
« on: October 25, 2019, 03:43:19 AM »
Hi! I'm a beginner at piano, just learning how to play some songs. I picked up the PSR S970 from a friend and I put in some midi songs to learn how to play. For some strange reason, all the notes are in the treble clef making it really confusing for my left hand. I have MuseScore3 and noticed the notes are in their respective treble and bass clefs, but they're all transferred into the treble clef when imported into the PSR S970.

Does anyone know how to move some of the notes from treble to bass clef without recording someone play the whole song?

Thanks!

Offline Normanfernandez

Re: How to move notes to bass clef; All notes are in Treble clef.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 03:27:39 PM »
Can you upload the MIDI for me to check?
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Janus

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 04:31:12 PM »
transpose the notes  one or more octaafs down

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 06:51:05 PM »
I suspect that the problem has nothing to do with the octaves-- in other words, that the notes are correct except that they're displayed below the treble clef staff using ledger lines.

If that's the case, the notes which you want to be displayed in the bass clef staff for the left hand will probably need to be moved to a different MIDI channel-- that is, the right hand part and left hand part are probably combined into a single channel, since they both use the same instrument voice, rather than being on separate channels.

Assuming there's a free channel, or one which isn't already being used in the file for something else, the easiest way to separate the right hand part and left hand part would be to copy the entire channel that contains both parts, paste it to an unused channel, then remove all notes for the left hand part from the original channel, and remove all notes for the right hand part from the new channel.

Once that's been done, the keyboard might automatically display the two parts or channels on the desired staffs; I'm not familiar with the PSR-S models so I don't know how that works.

OGPrinnny

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 09:28:09 PM »
This is the MIDI file. There are plenty more, but this one is short and a good example.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Xvoxosi2S7cmckllqNZH1F_r7vhtRfAz

I've transposed the notes down an octave and the notes are still in treble clef.

I don't know how to create MIDI files or transfer notes into a different channel. Do you know a video tutorial for that?

Thanks!

Offline panos

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 10:34:59 PM »
Hi OGPrinnny,
the keyboard can show both the the treble and the bass clef only when there is a midi with two different channels(one for the right hand and one for the left hand)
The above  midi has recorded in just one channel,so the psr can display just one clef for all the notes of the midi channel.
There are plenty piano solos midis which are made that way: All the notes are in one midi channel.

Those who know a little bit more about how a midi and a digital sheet music work, they know they have to create separately the two hands.
But usually this is been done only by professionals that sell their midi's and digital sheet music.

With the musescore program I guess you can re-create the midi but it needs time to do so and maybe it doesn't worth it to spend that time just to display a midi properly on a keyboard.

Offline Duurduur

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 11:47:09 PM »
I use NoteWorthy Composer, a free program as far as I know from NCH, which will split both channels by opening the midi file.

Ruud
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463
Logitech Z623 Speakersystem

OGPrinnny

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 02:32:39 AM »
So from my understanding, everything is on treble because the MIDI file places all the notes on one channel?

How could I separate the notes into two channels then?

Or even better, where could I get MIDI files that have pre-separated the notes into two channels because all the MIDI files I found seem to only use one channel.

Offline panos

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 02:01:39 PM »
Hi again OGPrinnny,
If you here two different instruments on a midi(lets ay a guitar and a piano sound) the channels have to be separated.
Channel 1 has got the piano sound and channel 2 has got the guitar sound.
Same with all midi songs that you can hear drums,bass,pianos strings etc.
They have up to 16 different midi channels.
If you hear just a piano sound,unfortunately you have to test it on the keyboard or on a midi notation program.
MuseScore3 is also displaying the midi channels.You will see that is displaying just one midi channel for the song.

I have used Fl Studio to separate the notes for left and right hand.
It is not a free program,but as I said all midi notation programs has a feature to copy-paste and delete notes but right now I am not familiar on how to do it on an easy way with Musescore or any other free program.

Here is a video I have made of how  "Synthesia" is showing, just like the s970,that there is only one channel of the above midi song:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YSE3Unc_4TZ87yNmUVA37EZElBg6a_Z1

Attached is the midi song with channel 1=right hand notes and channel 2=left hand notes and should displayed fine now on your psr.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Janus

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2019, 02:39:46 PM »
a piano got a central C
All above the central C is trebble
All below the central C is bass

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2019, 02:46:30 PM »
I use NoteWorthy Composer, a free program as far as I know from NCH, which will split both channels by opening the midi file.

Ruud

Some notation software can display the notes of a single MIDI channel using a grand staff rather than using a single staff. This does not mean the notes were split into two different channels, just that the displayed notes were split into two different staffs in the displayed notation.

I'm not saying that NoteWorthy Composer is not splitting the notes into separate channels, because it is certainly possible that after the original file with one channel was imported into the program and split into two staffs for display purposes, that the program then allows you to export a new version of the MIDI which has the notes split into two channels.

I do not have NoteWorthy Composer, so I don't know what is does and does not do; I am just making a general comment that just because a program can display the notes from a single MIDI channel on a grand staff doesn't necessarily mean it has actually split them into two separate MIDI channels.

Janus

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2019, 02:55:12 PM »
You can split the miditrack in most sequencers
Go to the score display select with the mouse the upper part
Make o copy cut
Go into an empty track and paste the notes in there

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2019, 04:34:30 PM »
Yes, it's easy to manually split a channel in any decent DAW or other MIDI editor. And some programs may even have ways to do it automatically.

However, one thing that no one has mentioned yet is that splitting a channel into a left-hand part and right-hand part might not be as simple as splitting the notes on the basis of some split point-- typically, but not necessarily, Middle C. It's true that this will split the channel into a treble-clef part and a bass-clef part (if Middle C is the split point).

But in some compositions the right-hand part includes notes below Middle C, in which case they're generally shown below the treble-clef staff using ledger lines; and the left-hand part might include notes which are above Middle C, in which case they're generally shown above the bass-clef staff using ledger lines. In other cases the staff showing the right-hand part might change from the treble clef to the bass clef for a time, then change back; or the staff showing the left-hand part might change from bass to treble to bass clef.

A sort of worst-case scenario is when a composition is written with a section where the notes run up or down the keyboard and are meant to be played with both hands, alternating between left and right. In that case the notes are generally printed on the grand staff without trying to isolate the right-hand part to the upper staff and the left-hand part to the lower staff, but instead the notes are shown on whichever staff is appropriate (bass or treble) and there are generally brackets(?) drawn above the notes to indicate which notes should be played with the left hand and which with the right hand.

So in some cases it might be best to have a copy of the published sheet music for a composition in order to see if there are any notes which don't conform to the simple "treble clef equals right hand and bass clef equals left hand" rule of thumb.

Janus

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2019, 04:43:35 PM »
There are two ways to transpose
Note transpose and score transpose
Score transpose is the resolution for Seagtgruff

Offline panos

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2019, 05:25:30 PM »
ok after trying several programs I found a way to do it with Mixmaster.

Download Mixmaster from here:
https://psrtutorial.com/MB/mixMaster.html
It is a trusted program from our member Michael P. Bedesem.

Instructions:
1.Open the midi song that you want.
2.Left click on "Note view".
3.Search which is the lower note of the treble clef of the midi.(The piano roll helps you to find out).
4.Go to Process/Edit.
5.Choose and right click on "Split a channel based upon pitch"
6.Choose a note(right click again) on "Move notes below" and press ok,
7.Save the midi-->File-save file (all types).

Here is a video I have made with this process:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hzyoFcUxbh_RyL5IqHkEDXCAYQOHrAg1

If there are notes that belong on both clefs there must be a way to delete the notes from one clef and add them to the other clef.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 05:26:34 PM by panos »