Author Topic: 28 songs I recorded on Genos . . .  (Read 13053 times)

Offline jimlaing

28 songs I recorded on Genos . . .
« on: October 24, 2019, 08:33:03 PM »
Hi - since a few have asked for a link to the files I recently recorded, I'm posting it here.  There is also info in the "Performers" section and individual songs linked there; this note is for those that have asked if I had a link directly to all the files for easy access to them.

The 28 songs I recorded on Genos are at:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qt3mcx4k6mbcnsw/AAD8MrSMfgBgRZVtVR4cK0u_a?dl=0

Here is the write-up about the recordings:
(Sept 2019) It had been a few years since I've recorded anything, so I finally decided to record some more songs. The result was a 28-song "long album" of songs.  This time, I decided to record mostly upbeat tunes, since my previous recording efforts a few years back, were mostly on the more mellow side. So there are a lot of rock/pop tunes from 1950s-1970s or so. My idea was not to try to make "perfect" recordings, but to do informal instrumental arrangements of a group of songs.

For these interested in the more technical side of things, a few notes: I recorded this entirely using my Yamaha Genos keyboard, which I purchased about a year ago. For the most part, each song is recorded in one pass or "take" all the way through. For some of the songs, I went back and added (overdubbed) a few small extra parts. Some of the things I sometimes added were things like: on a few songs: tambourine, ride-cymbal, strings, and on some other songs, a few solo parts like a trumpet, sax or guitar. The rest (bass, drums, piano, most strings & horns, etc.) were all recorded as part of that "first take" of recording the song.

Enjoy! Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

The following users thanked this post: jerryghr, Jacob, hans1966, pjd, ticktock

Offline porterma

Re: 28 songs I recorded on Genos . . .
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 12:46:29 AM »
Hi Jim,
Thanks for posting this link to your collection of 28 songs from the Genos.
These songs are truly excellent and as a fellow Genos player I am really inspired by your performances.
Just one question: do all these songs use just the preset style from the Genos or are some custom styles you have collected ?
Thanks again for sharing these songs with us.

Mark

The following users thanked this post: bryan01

Offline bryan01

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 09:10:12 AM »
Hi Jim,
Thanks so much for these songs. I have a rare few days off and have really enjoyed filling my time with listening to them.
Bryan
Playing the best I can. For as long as I last.
I am blessed with a Yamaha Genos2,
a lovely wife and
two Yorkshire Terriers.

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 11:21:13 PM »
Hi - thanks for the comments - about the Styles, I didn't keep track but probably 90-95% are stock, built-in styles.
I do sometimes mute some parts from Styles, to make them slightly less "busy".

There might be one or two songs that use a custom style (if so, it's likely one I purchased from Yamaha) . . .

Thanks again!
Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

DonM

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 09:18:19 PM »
Nice work Jim.  Enjoyed listening.