Author Topic: SX900 adding songs to playlist problem need help?  (Read 52519 times)

Offline Dnj

SX900 adding songs to playlist problem need help?
« on: October 23, 2019, 07:29:55 PM »
I must be doing something wrong...on the SX900 I followed the video @4:08 on instruction to create a NEW song playlist as shown in the video...but when I search for a registration folder, I see the folders, but  I cannot open them up to select the songs I want to add to the playlist?.....any help appreciated?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miM8_l3O7kY

blackpool

Re: SX900 adding songs to playlist problem need help?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 07:40:05 PM »
mine is away being repaired .....still not back !!

Make sure of course you are in the reg. directory screen and NOT style or any other, I often fall for that . You can only create a playlist from an existing registration, well as far as I am aware 

Sorry - cant get on mine just now so cant look it up.

Keith   

Offline Dnj

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 07:47:57 PM »
Are you saying you CANNOT create a playlist with songs from different registrations.....just a list of registrations ?

what I want to do is create a playlist of assorted songs from all my registrations in any way I desire...

I can see teh folders reg but cannot open to select which songs i want?

blackpool

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 08:00:47 PM »
Copy the regis you want into a 'new' folder, call it your new playlist title and then load that as the playlist - should work out

maybe you can pick and choose but i just created a new reg folder on genos - not done it yet on sx ....as i say b**** I cant try it till i get mine back . somebody will maybe come in with more info

keith
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 08:04:50 PM by blackpool »

The following users thanked this post: Pauljones

Offline Dnj

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 08:10:38 PM »
Keith thanx for the reply and if needed will have to copy hundreds of songs into the play list that way..
......I can load a folder into the NEW playlist BUT I cannot for some reason OPEN the folder to see the songs inside .....
what am I doing wrong here?

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 09:15:23 PM »
Hi DNJ,

A Playlist is little more than a list of registration banks.

When you add a record to a Playlist, only the name and storage location (drive/folder) of the selected registration bank is stored in the Playlist.  The registration bank itself is not saved in the Playlist record.  When you select a record in a Playlist a complete registration bank is loaded.

When you add records to a Playlist from the Playlist display, either by using 'List' or 'Search', the selection screen that opens will show just folders and registration banks if you use 'List', and just registration banks if you use 'Search'.  Although you can open any folders that are listed, you can't add a folder to a Playlist record!  If you open any folders that don't contain registration banks, then nothing will be listed.  In addition, you can't open the registration banks in these screens in the same way that you can't open them in the normal registration bank selection screen.

If you have set up existing registrations so that they include the settings for different songs on each button, then once you have selected the bank to use and created the record in the Playlist, you can edit the record so that it activates (selects) one specific button in the bank when that record is called up.  So for example if you have set up a bank which contains the song that you want for that record in button #3, you could have the Playlist record load the relevant registration bank and activate button #3.  However before you can edit a record, you must first add the record to the Playlist.  If you wanted to create another record in the Playlist for a different song (on button #4 say) from the same registration bank, you would add the record, selecting the same bank, and then edit the new record so that it activates button #4 etc. You can have many different records in the same Playlist that call up the same registration bank if you like.

The problem with this approach is that the record in the Playlist will be given the name of the registration bank that it calls up which won't necessarily be the name of the song if the bank contains settings for multiple songs! However, you can edit the name of each Playlist record if necessary.

A much better way is to save the settings for each different song in different registration banks, even if you only want to use one button in each.  You can then name each bank with the name of the song, which also has the advantage of making the registration for a specific song much easier to find in a folder, even if you are not using a Playlist.  If you add records to a Playlist that call up registration banks set up like this, each Playlist record will automatically be given the name of the song that the registration is set up for (as in the YouTube video).

You can read about how to create new Playlists, add records and edit records in the section 'Managing a Large Repertoire by Using the Playlist' starting on page 90 of the PSR-SX900 Owner's Manual.

Regards

Ian

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, JohnStarbuck

Offline ton37

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 09:36:44 PM »
Sorry Ian for your time and energy to answer DNJ. It seems he has returned the SX900 to the vendor  ::)
My best regards,
Ton

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 10:31:26 PM »
Thank you Ian,
very helpful for me. Just starting to learn how registrations and song list works.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline Ingar

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 09:56:55 AM »
If you store each song as a registration with 8 settings, then you be able to make a working playlist?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 05:04:59 PM by Ingar »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2019, 11:09:10 AM »
Maybe Donny forgot that when you select a folder on playlist you then have to press Play list again to open it.

Offline Dnj

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2019, 03:40:56 PM »
Eileen thank you for the reply. This could of possibly been the answer to my difficulty extracting songs from the already loaded reg folders in the play list. But alas I have returned my SX900 for a few reasons that didn't quite fill my needs at this time.
Thank you again for all your help and others here too.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2019, 12:58:51 AM »
Sorry to hear that Donny as it is a great little keyboard and has a lot going for it.

Pino

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2019, 04:43:29 AM »
Dnj will have another SX900 by Christmas
It’s a great little keyboard.

The PlayList issue was just ABC
Needed a few minutes of study
The organ sim works perfectly, but only works in the organ department.
Not on the organ presets.
I think his biggest problem was the small font on the screen
And maybe he had a point there, some of the text is small.

Pino
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 04:44:35 AM by Pino »

Offline Dnj

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2019, 01:43:49 PM »
Pino I doubt it as many NEW things are coming on the horizon I'll be interested in

Take care

tyrosman

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2019, 01:58:27 PM »
Sorry Ian for your time and energy to answer DNJ. It seems he has returned the SX900 to the vendor  ::)
why am I not supprised ??? he does it with every on he has got ???

tyrosman

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2019, 04:20:34 PM »
hi Donny you didn't spend enough time with it as always I was like this with Genos at first but I love it now :)

Offline Dnj

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2019, 02:38:34 AM »
Today as I have now returned to the SX900 and know much more then I did before after a month of genos...

Today I tried to set up a playlist....all went well BUT all I could see was reg banks listed each containing 8 songs?

what I would like to do if possible is have a playlist with all the songs  shown in one list not in reg banks if this is possible?
am I doing it wrong?....... and can it even be done with just a list of single songs to scroll thru in live play?
am I missing something or?..

thanx for any help

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2019, 02:58:03 AM »
Today as I have now returned to the SX900 and know much more then I did before after a month of genos...

Today I tried to set up a playlist....all went well BUT all I could see was reg banks listed each containing 8 songs?

what I would like to do if possible is have a playlist with all the songs  shown in one list not in reg banks if this is possible?
am I doing it wrong?....... and can it even be done with just a list of single songs to scroll thru in live play?
am I missing something or?..

thanx for any help

Donny,

A playlist is exactly what you are asking for.

So start simple. Make a playlist of 8 songs from one of your registration banks.

Start with the first registration.  Yes, the default name will be the name of the registration, because that’s what most of us do — we have one song per bank.

But you want to do it differently. You want one song per registration button.

After the the entry is created, you need to edit it. Rename it to the song, and, most importantly, identify the registration button you want loaded.

Once you have your 8 songs working the way you want, then move on to add another bank.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

drvenom

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2019, 10:02:12 AM »
The truth is, the new system inherited from genos, needs a learning time.
I'm also a little lost to the overwhelming amount of options you have, and the different way of presenting them.
It would also be a disappointment to me, if the menu system were the same as my previous psr.
I needed some fresh air

Offline Dnj

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2019, 01:08:42 PM »
[Fred Quote] "But you want to do it differently. You want one song per registration button.
After the the entry is created, you need to edit it.
Rename it to the song, and, most importantly, identify the registration button you want loaded.
Once you have your 8 songs working the way you want, then move on to add another bank."

Fred thanl you for your replay now I know it can be done with SINGLE songs listed using one song per REG button......but I am still a bit confused as to the process you mentioned.
Please excuse my ignorance.... Without being a PITA could you in laymans terms describe the actual step by step process of loading the songs to the playlist which I have done as it them shows me the REG bank names....and this is the important part ......
.after that is done,... how do you Open the REG bank in the playlist
and get the songs in that Reg Bank all extracted & separately listed in the playlist to scroll thru select and play?

Thank you
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 01:10:33 PM by Dnj »

blackpool

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2019, 01:22:25 PM »
I have fallen into the trap with few boards of trying to 'run before i could walk' and going in too deep when really i did not need to. This made it so easy to just give in sometimes and fall out with the thing.

The best way is to invest in some hands on 'one to one' help if you can find it locally along with added help from forums like this.

I had a couple of paid teaching sessions i remember in the early days with my first PSR and it was invaluable. Not to learn to 'play' but to learn to 'use'

I dont tend to go in too 'deep' when really there is not the need IMHO  ( Yamaha have done a great job for us as a basic set up ) ......I am very plug and play, just using much of my stored regis /styles and then simply editing these, and renaming them for any new songs i learn, and save as new regis and then playlists from that. ( which are basically copies of regis ...well as far as i am aware ) On top of that  Balance and reverb are really the main 'bread and butter' features i tend to adjust.

If it was a basic upright piano - we could not change a thing .... and simply play it and enjoy .....so i think we need to maybe do a bit more of that and get back to brass tacks !!  These are wonderful instruments, even out of the box!

Well thats my 2p on it

I hope you can in the meantime get the answer you want re playlist

Keith
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 01:33:12 PM by blackpool »

Offline ton37

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2019, 01:52:10 PM »
Hi, this was posted somewhere else, but maybe still helpful for you from Heidrun Dolde:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03f_StCMZ8E

English version starts at 24:45!!

About answering your question: pls. have a look at startingpoint 40:00 ??

My best regards,
Ton

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2019, 02:21:03 PM »
Donny,

Start from where you are. You’ve created a playlist. Your playlist entries have the name of the registration.

Now,
— select a playlist entry
— Tap Edit
— change the name to whatever you want (like the name of the song)
— tap the button number you want associated with the entry
— Tap close

When you’re done with all entries, save the Playlist

Cheers,
Fred

Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Dnj

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2019, 04:42:57 PM »
Fred and all thank you I started following your steps as tedious as it is to complete each song just as a test....
with hundreds of songs this could really take some time...
I will have to decide if its worth it for me or stay with my other choices to search thru songs on SX900 for now....

anyway Merry Christmas to you and yours

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2019, 06:17:45 PM »
Fred and all thank you I started following your steps as tedious as it is to complete each song just as a test....
with hundreds of songs this could really take some time...
I will have to decide if its worth it for me or stay with my other choices to search

As a Playlist is just a tsv file, another option you have is to create it on a computer. That’s what I did to create the initial playlists fir my registrations.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Dnj

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2019, 10:09:44 PM »
Fred....it's all the renaming and all the extra steps to create the song list...
I just want to............

1-push the playlist button
2-see my list of ALL my song titles that I have in reg banks without having to rename them all once in playlist edit
3-be able to scroll thru the list in alphabetical order while I am playing  to be ready for the next tune to play

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2019, 10:21:35 PM »
Fred....it's all the renaming and all the extra steps to create the song list...
I just want to............

1-push the playlist button
2-see my list of ALL my song titles that I have in reg banks without having to rename them all once in playlist edit
3-be able to scroll thru the list in alphabetical order while I am playing  to be ready for the next tune to play

Yes, it’s work. But you only have to do it once.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ