Author Topic: Import PDFs into songbook+  (Read 52559 times)

Offline Oldden

Import PDFs into songbook+
« on: October 23, 2019, 12:25:13 PM »
Simple question.
Thinking of buying songbook, how do I copy PDFs already on my iPad into songbook without using iTunes.
Thanks, Oldden

Offline Oldden

Re: Import PDFs into songbook+
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 05:56:17 PM »
Just a bit extra why I thought I might be able to import pdf music.
I have iOS 13 on my iPad . It has a option called FILES . Open it and I can find my pdf file.
There is an option to send it to songbook+ which opens when I use it but says unable to load the file. It says file must end with .pdf which it does.
Thought it might be a hidden option in songbook which someone knows about.
Oldden

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 06:08:19 PM »
Just a bit extra why I thought I might be able to import pdf music.
I have iOS 13 on my iPad . It has a option called FILES . Open it and I can find my pdf file.
There is an option to send it to songbook+ which opens when I use it but says unable to load the file. It says file must end with .pdf which it does.
Thought it might be a hidden option in songbook which someone knows about.
Oldden

Are you sure it ends in ".pdf"? It should work if it does. Check for extraneous spaces.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Yamahaman

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 08:11:03 PM »
I think Songbook is not yet ready for the future...?
Apple wil end iTunes soon. This is announced several times.
In ios13 you have indeed the file app where your PDF's are located.
But songbook still ask for iTunes.
This need an update!
Tyros 5, LD DAVE 8XS

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 08:24:06 PM »
I think Songbook is not yet ready for the future...?
Apple wil end iTunes soon. This is announced several times.
In ios13 you have indeed the file app where your PDF's are located.
But songbook still ask for iTunes.
This need an update!

iTunes is not going away.

I have no trouble importing PDFs into Songbook from the Files app.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

The following users thanked this post: Siegfried

Offline Oldden

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 08:39:11 PM »
Hi,
Yes, it is a definite pdf file. Apple is changing, scrapping iTunes as you say. Will wait to see if there is an update to songbook before buying it. , I don’t want to start using an app that will stop working soon.
Oldden

Offline Oldden

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 08:47:42 PM »
Hi Fred,
I wonder if your version of songbook is more up to date than my “test” version that I got from the Apple store. Thank you for your reply, will try again when I get home. I’m in my cold, wet, foggy place in Wales at the moment, no phone , internet is poor, only sheep for miles around and I love it.
Oldden

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 11:34:29 PM »
I wonder if your version of songbook is more up to date than my “test” version that I got from the Apple store. Thank you for your reply, will try again when I get home. I’m in my cold, wet, foggy place in Wales at the moment, no phone , internet is poor, only sheep for miles around and I love it.

The version I'm using is 3.4.3.

Your version obviously supports the importation as it's complaining only about the extension.

Why don't you post your file here, and I'll see if I can import it to my Songbook.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Colin D

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019, 07:42:20 AM »
I open the PDF on my Ipad, look for the square box with a pointer facing up or scroll to the end where a message says "Open in" and selcet songbook,  you have to make sure there is not a song open in song book for it to work.  If there is a song open, press the X in the corner to close.  It works everytime,

Cheers,

colin
Previous, Technics E44, E66, U90, G7, GX7 G100, Tyros 2, Tyros 5, now Genos,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNozAL1Whf-t4TJY5wPK57Q

Offline Oldden

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 08:43:56 AM »
Thanks for the info, I’m not at home at the moment but I will give it another go when I get back with different PDFs  Possibly the files I have on my iPad have a problem with them. At least I know that songbook+ works and I can order it.
Thanks again.
Oldden

Offline Yamahaman

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2019, 09:18:39 PM »
iTunes is not going away.

I have no trouble importing PDFs into Songbook from the Files app.

Cheers,
Fred

Fred, iTunes is gone in ios13 and osx Catalina. In Windows it's still there... but for how long?

Tyros 5, LD DAVE 8XS

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 01:56:19 AM »
My iPad connected to Genos is IOS v13.2.  I am using SongBook+ v3.4.4 to link my PDF's to Genos registrations.   Working fine.

However, i do not use iTunes . . . . I import my PDF's into iPad/SongBook+  directly from MS OneDrive . . . where i keep my PDF's.   (I also have a backup PDF folder in my home computer).

No problem here.  I import PDF's into iPad/Songbook from MS OneDrive with no problem. All my PDF files have the format:   filename.pdf

I also have iTunes on my Windows computer for my mp3 music collection.  Also working fine so far.

So, i do not foresee SongBook+ going away any time soon.  It is a great program and automatically links all my PDF's to Genos registrations.

thanks

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2019, 02:19:08 AM »
My iPad connected to Genos is IOS v13.2.  I am using SongBook+ v3.4.4 to link my PDF's to Genos registrations.   Working fine.

However, i do not use iTunes . . . . I import my PDF's into iPad/SongBook+  directly from MS OneDrive . . . where i keep my PDF's.   (I also have a backup PDF folder in my home computer).

No problem here.  I import PDF's into iPad/Songbook from MS OneDrive with no problem. All my PDF files have the format:   filename.pdf

I also have iTunes on my Windows computer for my mp3 music collection.  Also working fine so far.

So, i do not foresee SongBook+ going away any time soon.  It is a great program and automatically links all my PDF's to Genos registrations.

This is the way I do it as well, but I use Itunes if I'm importing a lot of PDFs. Both work fine.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Pino

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2019, 07:36:41 AM »
24.1  Backup your data To save your data from SongBook to your computer, connect your iPad to the computer, start iTunes and follow the steps below:

I think Songbook+ is a good app for sheet reading but why hasn’t it been updated over all these years, still saving to "iTunes", I have been in contact with Baum requesting an update so we can save to ‘iCloud’,  that was over 2 years ago but nothing has been updated.
Why do we need to connect to a PC and then open that horrible iTunes when there are so many easy to save ‘cloud’ options available.

Is there a way to save files without connecting to a PC ?

Pino

Offline overover

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2019, 12:19:13 PM »
24.1  Backup your data To save your data from SongBook to your computer, connect your iPad to the computer, start iTunes and follow the steps below:

I think Songbook+ is a good app for sheet reading but why hasn’t it been updated over all these years, still saving to "iTunes", I have been in contact with Baum requesting an update so we can save to ‘iCloud’,  that was over 2 years ago but nothing has been updated.
Why do we need to connect to a PC and then open that horrible iTunes when there are so many easy to save ‘cloud’ options available.

Pino

Hi Pino,

the easiest way to exchange data between a computer (PC / Mac) and Songbook+ is the option "Share folder via Wi-Fi":

1. Make sure that the iPad and the computer are connected to the same Local Network (to your Wi-Fi Router).

2. Touch the ••• symbol in the status bar of Songbook+, then touch the option I mentioned before.

3. On PC open the Windows Explorer (File Manager), right-click on "This PC" (in German "Dieser PC") and select "Map Network Drive" (in German "Netzlaufwerk verbinden").

In the window "Map Network Drive":
4. (optionally) Choose a Drive Letter, e. g. "S"

5. In the field "Folder", now type in the URL that is displayed in Songbook+ (from step 2), somewhat like http:\\192.168.x.yyy:8080
(Do not forget the string ":8080", which is the Port number for this IP-based connection!)

6. Click on "Finish" button (in German "Fertig stellen").

7. Now the new Drive letter should be displayed in Windows Explorer. Click on it, and you should see the content of the App Folder of Songbook+.

8. Simply copy & paste new files (e. g. PDFs) to this window OR copy the complete content of this window to backup Songbook+

9. To terminate the connection between Songbook+ and Windows, simply touch outside the message window "Share Songbook+ folder via Wi-Fi" on the iPad.

10. Please also refer to Chapter 16 in the Songbook+ User Manual V3.3 (page 29).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 02:26:17 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2019, 02:21:30 PM »

Pino

Songbook has been updated regularly. There are many ways of getting PDFs into the app. iTunes is one of them. The cloud is another. WiFi is another. The Files app is another.

When you stop assuming everything is horrible, the possibilities are endless.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Bob88

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2019, 12:24:10 AM »
  Google  Leef iBridge .   It is a USB Flash drive that has a  usb connection on one end that connects to your computer  and a Lightning port  connection on the other for your ipad.
I have transferred hundreds of pdfs from computer to ipad easily.  After the pdf files are copied  on the Leef bridge device you plug  it into  your ipad and import them into Songbook.
My Leef bridge is version 3.   I think there are newer versions.  Prices vary depending
on how much space  you require.  Well worth the cost  and  simple to use. Regards, Bob

Pino

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2019, 06:50:58 AM »
Fred, - with all due respects but maybe you are working in your home studio all day with everything around, I am not, 90%of my computer work is done on an iPad Pro without any problems and I have iCloud for all my files, all my programs and apps are up to date.
Maybe you can show me how to save all my SongBook files to iCloud,

Chris, thanks for taking the time to upload the info, I will try the WiFi method ASAP.

Bob - That USB flash drive is excellent, I’ve been using the Sandisk version for about 3 years now and it good for storing and transferring but I need to save SongBook+ playlists and PDFs

Regards

Pino
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 07:13:05 AM by Pino »

Offline voodoo

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2019, 11:39:50 AM »
Simple question.
Thinking of buying songbook, how do I copy PDFs already on my iPad into songbook without using iTunes.
Thanks, Oldden

Hi,

I use songbook+ with pdf files a lot. In my opinion the solution is easy:

Wherever you open a PDF document on iPad, use "Share -> open with..." and select Songbook+. This works for Email, dropbox, whatsapp, iCloud....
And you can even convert a web page to PDF and open it with songbook+ using the print dialog of every app.

When you write, you PDFs already on the iPad. What do you mean? In which app do you have the PDFs?

Uli

Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline AndyT

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2020, 12:50:58 PM »
Hi,

I know this is an old thread. I was testing Songbook back in November. In fact I only just started looking at Apple and iTunes - I can now bypass iTunes and don't have to worry about the cloud :) 

I  highly recommend looking at syncios free version (www.syncios.com). With this you can drag and drop files from/to any application and I find it 100% reliable. It gets around all the iCloud/USB stick issues for me. It works great with Songbook+ and any other PDF readers.

P.S. As someone mentioned wireless sharing, I have found corruption issues when transferring large files (10MB+) back to the PC with Songbook, but most people won't do that as most will just copy to the iPad. I was just wondering what the annotations would look like :)

Hope this helps.

- Andy 

Offline dh110953

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2020, 10:16:23 AM »
Hi Pino,

There are lots of good suggestions here. I to had exactly the same issue as you and I find the easiest method is that suggested by overover above, e.g share over WiFi, works fo me every time. Note, if you use a Mac computer you need to CMD+K to bring up the server connection dialogue box or finder>go>connect to server. Once connected your songbook will then just show up as a directory in the Network section of the Mac.

It is worth noting that if you try to use the “open in Songbook+”  I think this only works if you do not have any additional data folders in Songbook+ if you have created additional data folders which will be shown as SBDATA_xxx then I do not think the files will be visible as the “Open In” option copies to the route directory of Songbook+ and I do not believe route is available once you have created data folders. As far as I am aware, only way round this is to delete all SBDATA folders so you just have route folder in Songbook+ but doing this will delete ALL your settings, links etc......don’t delete, or delete with caution. Hence, the “share folder over WiFi” is in my opinion best option as you can then copy the PDF’s to any of your data folders, including route. I have 3 data folders in Songbook+ one is my standard folder, I use daily, I have a second folder which my Grandchildren use and the 3rd is my trial folder I use for testing settings and playing about with.

I have not tried any of the hardware methods suggested above. Not needed to.

Hope this helps.

David
Now have a CVP 809 as my wife plays Piano but not Keyboard - I had to PX a Genos to buy it, Also have an SX700 - I did previously own a Tyros.

Biggsy

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2020, 02:21:43 PM »
Hi folks ... As a new member to the PSR Forum I have been browsing some categories when I came across this topic. Previously used to scan documents and import PDFs into ITunes etc, long winded. Instead, if you are using Songbook+ on an IPad you should have the NOTES app. Create a new note. At the bottom of the page (RHS) you will see the camera logo, click on it and SCAN DOCUMENT will appear. Lay out your sheeet music and take photo/s. Notes will ask if you require to retake scan or save. When saved and resized, self explanatory, save file/s. Click the box with the upward arrow in it (top right of screen), scroll through to Songbook+ logo or MORE (box with three dots). You will see a list of Apps. Copy to Songbook should be there. Click on Songbook+. Window will open asking you to input file name with .pdf extension. Click import. When finished PDF file will appear in UNUSED FILE section of SB+ on IPad which can then be processed. Hope my explanation is useful.

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

Offline overover

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2020, 04:26:41 PM »
Hi Biggsby,

what is the advantage when using the "Notes" app to take a picture, save it in .pdf format and send it to Songbook+?

You can also do this directly with Songbook+. Just click on the "•••" icon > "Photo to PDF" > "Create a new photo". :)

By the way: You could also use a specialized SCAN app like "iScanner". This has the advantage that the images are automatically aligned and cropped at right angles before they are saved as .pdf.

P.S.
I was talking about the integrated "Notes" app on my iPad4 (with iOS 10.3.3). Maybe that the "Notes" app of newer iOS versions have integrated a real SCAN function (with automated aligning / cropping). ;)

Best regards,
Chris

➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2020, 06:50:55 PM »
I was talking about the integrated "Notes" app on my iPad4 (with iOS 10.3.3). Maybe that the "Notes" app of newer iOS versions have integrated a real SCAN function (with automated aligning / cropping). ;)

Yes, it does Chris.
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

Offline overover

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2020, 07:02:40 PM »
Yes, it does Chris.

Thanks! But only because of that new feature I will not buy a new iPad right away ... ;)

Biggsy

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2020, 10:16:15 AM »
Thanks for the tip chris, but using the scan function in Notes allows you to adjust the photo for best clarity and able to crop. But Songbook+ tip good, thanks

Offline dh110953

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2020, 10:42:14 PM »
Hi,

Not sure if this has been resolved yet or not but I have Songbook+ on my iPad and I store  all my PDF scores in Google Drive (not that I think it matters where they are stored for this answer).

When I go to the PDF document in Google Drive and OPEN the PDF if you then look to the top right and the 3 dots ...if you click on this there is the option to "Open In" clicking on this will bring up a selection and if you scroll the icons you should see "Copy to Songbook" selecting this does exacly that ---- its now in Songbook+ ...... note, if you have not done this before you may need to scroll to the end of the icons where you will see three dots ".... more" and clicking on this will list all your apps, Songbook will then be in this list.

Hope this helps....it works for me and I never need to use iTunes

Cheers

David
Now have a CVP 809 as my wife plays Piano but not Keyboard - I had to PX a Genos to buy it, Also have an SX700 - I did previously own a Tyros.

Offline john1509

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2022, 02:55:42 PM »
hi guys wanna thank everyone for input on this link been really helpful  thanks

Offline dh110953

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2022, 03:16:48 AM »
I have just imported over 100 PDF’s into Songbook+, it was as simple as;

From within Songbook+ press the 3 dots (top right) this will open the menu.
Scroll down or just select Import Files which is listed under Other
This will then open your import dialogue box, where you select the location directory of the PDF files you want to import. (e.g On My IPad)
Select the PDF’s you want to import (there should also be option to select all)
Hit the Open button and that’s it ….. files will now be imported into Songbook+

As said, just did this and imported over 100 PDF songs that I had scanned. It was easy.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2023, 01:55:57 PM »
Mobile sheets far far better and less ;D reliant on Itunes and flaming clouds and box dropping rubbish ;D
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

The following users thanked this post: Divemaster

Offline rcca

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2023, 01:46:27 AM »
I’ll have to keep all your info. If I decide to go for Songbooks+
Is the Songbook using my Geno's reliable using automatically choosing  the correct style, and registration for the song I pick too play, that maybe only thing I'm concerned about? Thank you!
   rcca
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 06:46:05 AM by rcca »
Cyber Power Intel Extreme, Military MB 4.0/4.5 CPU turbo, 12 GB Memory, GPU Gigabytes 1060 6GB Ram Desktop
Yamaha GENOS 76-Key Flagship Arranger, Technics KN6000