Author Topic: Tyros 5 vs SX900 demo  (Read 54122 times)

Offline Dnj

Tyros 5 vs SX900 demo
« on: October 21, 2019, 04:07:08 PM »

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, hans1966, rikkisbears

Offline rgw

Re: Tyros 5 vs SX900 demo
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 05:50:23 PM »
That is a good and interesting comparative demo Dnj. I think there is very little in it. Both have there pluses and minuses. The only thing that stands out for me is that in my opinion I think the Guitars as demontrated are sounding better on the Tyros, otherwise it's even-stevens.

Richard.

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 05:52:07 PM »
Unfortunately the volumes were not matched, so SX was louder giving false impression of presence.
T5 Benefits are tilting screen and better quality keybed Plus AFTER-TOUCH which for me overall a better keyboard, a nice clean T5-76 can be purchased less than SX900 .
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 09:21:17 AM by Graham UK »
DGX670

saxxman

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 06:44:14 PM »
Nice comparison Donny! Thanks!  Agree the T5 has some advantages, particularly in the tilt screen.  The pro's on the SX900 side are lighter weight, smaller footprint, chord looper (not sure if this is on T5?), ability to play audio files from USB stick (can this be done on T5?), and speakers of course.  Great sounds and features from both boards for all sides of the community for sure. :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 06:55:00 PM by saxxman »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 12:17:15 AM »
After being away from Tyros 5 for a couple of years now I much prefer the sounds of the SX900.
The styles also sound more alive on the SX900.

saxxman

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 02:45:04 AM »
+1 Eileen!  I only had a T2 and T4, but I like the look and definitely the smaller footprint of the SX900 over the larger Tyros units.  The on-board speakers are a major plus for me too. I was happy w/the S970, but adding the 3rd voice in right hand, the assignable buttons up front, chord looper, and USB options sure will be an upgrade for me. And the fact that Genos styles play so well on the SX, well, that's even more icing on the cake.

Now if I can just figure out how to load the audio styles....tried to back them up from my S970 but wasn't successful - need more info. But it appears to be doable to restore the Audio styles via packs?

Have fun everyone whether you're a Model "T" driver or an "X-Generation" rider!

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 11:18:33 AM »
I agree with Graham UK's comments.  In addition, the T5 (& the T4 for that matter) have those lovely SA2 voices which Yamaha have chosen to leave off the SX900.  I'm sure for many people the SX is a better package than the larger Tyros with no on-board speakers.  However, the SX900 is for me overpriced considering it's inferior keybed, lack of SA2 voices and no aftertouch.   The SX does have other attributes in it's favour but overall I don't think it's good value for money compared to a used Tyros in good condition.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 12:42:46 PM »
The Tyros is a flagship, the SX900 is a PSR! That says it all!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 12:52:45 PM »
I'm very aware of that Toril but that was not my point.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2019, 12:57:19 PM »
I know😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2019, 02:39:50 PM »
At todays prices and all that is on this keyboard including 1Gb of flash memory which would have cost you a lot on Tyros 5 and new functions that are not on Tyros 5 then I don't consider it over priced at all. It is a really nice keyboard and if you get the chance try one. Don't knock it till you have.

Offline mikf

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2019, 03:01:37 PM »
Like most upgrades over one or two models the difference is pretty marginal and would not send me rushing out to change. If already in the market for a new keyboard the T5 is not an option anyway.The choice becomes Genos versus SX and the differences are big - especially the cost.
Mike 

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2019, 03:13:16 PM »
Interesting video. Personally, I thought the T5 sounded cleaner and sharper plus had slightly more intricacies within the styles although I thought the SX900 started to shine more near the end of the video. Don't forget, the T5 being a top end model would still have better build, dsp effects & overall quality by default so there will be differences vs a mid range model, even if it's a generation newer. That said, I would still always have the SX900 over the any of the Tyros models due to it's compact design which is so much better for saving space and portability.

If anything, this video shows how far the PSR S series has come and how close they are to a Tyros.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 03:23:20 PM by Danny1972 »

blackpool

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2019, 06:34:17 PM »
My sentiments entirely Danny
It is just so compact and to me the key bed is as good as Tyros, although i am no 'pro'
Plus its newer tech and a new board with a new warranty, which you maybe would not get on a used T5.
I suppose it is difficult to compare 'new for new' A used Tyros 5 is going be a good bit cheaper than it was when new....maybe 50%  which ultimately would put the value of a used SX at around £800 - (well had they been released at the same time and the SX was the same age)
Because, If you box clever you can pick up a new SX with woofer for around £1800 which by comparison to what a new 5 would have cost, is much better value.....if you get my drift.

Personally I would now have an SX without question! and glad I did.

Keith

saxxman

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 09:10:02 PM »
Just ran a quick price check on T5's on Ebay - 76-key models (pre-owned) are running $4,000-$5,000. Saw a 61-note T5 for $2600 - still considerably higher than a new SX900.  Given the chances you take buying (clean) used keyboards on Ebay, the SX900 at it's current price is a bargain at less than half the cost of a 76-note T5.

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2019, 09:25:13 AM »
I recently paid £1765 for my very clean T5 76 with speakers plus 1 year warranty.
DGX670

Offline Telmo

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2019, 12:49:51 PM »
+1 Eileen!  I only had a T2 and T4, but I like the look and definitely the smaller footprint of the SX900 over the larger Tyros units.  The on-board speakers are a major plus for me too. I was happy w/the S970, but adding the 3rd voice in right hand, the assignable buttons up front, chord looper, and USB options sure will be an upgrade for me. And the fact that Genos styles play so well on the SX, well, that's even more icing on the cake.

Now if I can just figure out how to load the audio styles....tried to back them up from my S970 but wasn't successful - need more info. But it appears to be doable to restore the Audio styles via packs?

Now if I can just figure out how to load the audio styles....tried to back them up from my S970 but wasn't successful - need more info.

Very easy do load audio styles. You need first to do it via the Expansion Manager software. I have all, all audio styles available on my SX-900. After you transfer them to you SX900 you can then save all of them to a usb stick and no more worries of deleting them.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 12:52:56 PM by Telmo »
Yamaha PSR-SX-900, JBL EON ONE Linear-Array PA System.
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Telmo3190
"We are Old Too quick... and Wise too late."

rcpilot

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2019, 03:45:35 PM »
$4k - $5k for a USED T5....you got to be kidding that was the cost when they were new! I can get a Genos for that!
In USA anyways. $2k sounds more like it...after all stuff on those does wear out. (If it has been out and about gigging especially)
Lee

Offline Telmo

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2019, 03:52:32 PM »

Randy, here is the official Link where you download all the Audio Styles into YEM and then when you have them on your SX900 you can copy them to a usb-stick and forget about losing them.
https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/genos/downloads.html#product-tabs
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 03:53:48 PM by Telmo »
Yamaha PSR-SX-900, JBL EON ONE Linear-Array PA System.
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Telmo3190
"We are Old Too quick... and Wise too late."

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, Aquilauno