Author Topic: Yamaha MD-BT01 Wireless Bluetooth MIDI Adapter timing out...  (Read 19410 times)

Offline StuartR

Yamaha MD-BT01 Wireless Bluetooth MIDI Adapter timing out...
« on: October 22, 2019, 07:03:15 PM »
Been using this with Songbook+ for a year now and in the last few months it's started to randomly disconnect from the app running on an iPad Air. The iPad OS has been through lots of updates (IOS 11, 12 and now 13) but that hasn't seemingly affected this issue.

Sometimes it will stay connected for an hour, other times it disconnects between songs. I'm going to try the m1 controller as it's even smaller but just wondered if anyone else had experienced this with the Yamaha BT adapter.

Offline overover

Re: Yamaha MD-BT01 Wireless Bluetooth MIDI Adapter timing out...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 08:38:33 PM »
Hi StuartR,

have you installed the latest Firmware update on the MD-BT01?

To check this install the iOS app "MD-BT01 / UD-BT01 Utility" on your iPad (seach for "md-bt01" in App Store).

Note: This is originally an iPHONE app! (Therefore you may have to switch to "iPhone Apps only" in the App Store of some iOS versions on iPad to can see / find this app.)

The current version of this Utility app is 1.0.6. But the connected Bluetooth adapter will be updated "only" to version 1.0.5.

P.S.
For maximum stability of the Bluetooth connection I recommend to select the "Airplane Mode" on the iPad first and then switch on "Bluetooth" again.

Best Regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline StuartR

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 12:58:42 PM »
Hi StuartR,

have you installed the latest Firmware update on the MD-BT01?

To check this install the iOS app "MD-BT01 / UD-BT01 Utility" on your iPad (seach for "md-bt01" in App Store).

Note: This is originally an iPHONE app! (Therefore you may have to switch to "iPhone Apps only" in the App Store of some iOS versions on iPad to can see / find this app.)

The current version of this Utility app is 1.0.6. But the connected Bluetooth adapter will be updated "only" to version 1.0.5.

P.S.
For maximum stability of the Bluetooth connection I recommend to select the "Airplane Mode" on the iPad first and then switch on "Bluetooth" again.

Best Regards,
Chris

Thanks fir these two tips!  I hadn't even realized there was upgradable firmware for this device. I'll enable Airplane mode as well and see if that helps.

Stuart.

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 03:28:05 PM »
I have the same problems with the Yamaha MD-BT01 and will update from iPadOS 13.1 to 13.2 this evening.  I hope that this will solve the problem, but I don't believe it.

BTW, all Korg devices with Bluetooth MIDI are currently not working with iOS/iPadOS 13. I think there is a general problem with the current iOS and Bluetooth MIDI.

EDIT: I can confirm that my MD-BT01 works again after updating from iPad OS 13.1 to 13.2 :)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 11:15:39 AM by tomsixtwo »

Offline voodoo

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 11:44:03 AM »
BTW, all Korg devices with Bluetooth MIDI are currently not working with iOS/iPadOS 13. I think there is a general problem with the current iOS and Bluetooth MIDI.

Is this still true? I hope that my Korg devices still work with my iPad, but I did not try until now.
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 06:30:52 PM »
Thanks for the info, folks. I'm starting to work with MIDI Bluetooth. (I think Saint Nick may bring a new iPad this Christmas.  :) )

We moved into a high density community and my iPad (iOS 10.3) sometimes loses its Wi-Fi connection frequently. After trying all of the usual stuff, I suspect much higher wireless traffic especially in the 2.4GHz band. Our home network alone has 10 devices at any given time. Multiply that by all the neighbors and yikes!

Bluetooth is in the same band and is subject to interference, too.

All the best -- pj

Offline voodoo

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 01:37:02 PM »

I had to perform a firmware update to my Korg microKEY Air. Now it works again together with iPadOS 13.3.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D