Author Topic: EQ-GOLD for the SX900  (Read 121164 times)

Offline ton37

EQ-GOLD for the SX900
« on: October 19, 2019, 06:50:23 PM »
Hello, I was playing around with the EQ / Compressor and remembered that there was a good EQ setting for the Genos. In another Genos-post it was just mentioned. It was called the EQ-GOLD.
I tried it with the SX900 and yes, it also sounds fantastic!!.I play through the SX's own speakers.
Give it a try if you whish:The URL for the EQ setting of the Genos is:

https://www.soundpacks.co.uk/blogs/news/eq-settings-for-genos

A brief explanation: you can press the green HZ box under Frequency. Choose the same Hertz as in the example.Save this under USER1 and give it the name EQ-GOLD for example.
Pls. let us know what you think ... but ….  so many people so many tastes

To be complete:
Downunder you will find another EQ-setting for the SX900 from member @Robinez (see post below)
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,52172.msg408491.html#msg408491

Happy EQ-ing ;)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 04:07:30 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, Telmo, LarsMoss, Enzogiacone

Re: EQ-GOLD for the SX900
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 11:51:53 PM »
Thank you Ton, I’ll give it a try.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline Telmo

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 01:24:18 PM »
Hello, I was playing around with the EQ / Compressor and remembered that there was a good EQ setting for the Genos. In another Genos-post it was just mentioned. It was called the EQ-GOLD.
I tried it with the SX900 and yes, it also sounds fantastic!!.I play through the SX's own speakers.
Give it a try if you whish:The URL for the EQ setting of the Genos is:

https://www.soundpacks.co.uk/blogs/news/eq-settings-for-genos

A brief explanation: you can press the green HZ box under Frequency. Choose the same Hertz as in the example.Save this under USER1 and give it the name EQ-GOLD for example.
Pls. let us know what you think ... but ….  so many people so many tastes
Happy EQ-ing ;)
Thanks, I'll also give it a try.
Yamaha PSR-SX-900, JBL EON ONE Linear-Array PA System.
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Telmo3190
"We are Old Too quick... and Wise too late."

Offline Dnj

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 01:33:13 PM »
Excellent starting point Thank you

Offline rgw

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 04:57:43 PM »
Could be useful Ton, thank you.

Richard.

Offline Telmo

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 05:06:59 PM »
I've just given a try and I liked it, although I just changed a little bit the 2 gains highs and lows, so that got perfect for my portable PA System, which is the JBL Eon One. Thanks again.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 05:08:49 PM by Telmo »

The following users thanked this post: Jacob, JohnStarbuck

Offline ton37

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 06:37:59 PM »
Thank for your reply, Telmo. Nice to read that it can be quite flexible to be able to use the MasterEQ effectively to your own taste and use. Since there are multiple user memories, you can choose to create multiple Master EQs. For example, for recordings you give them the name Recording-EQ. If you play via your PA, you create a separate User memory, such as PA-EQ. I sometimes play through the mixer and made a masterEQ: Mixer-EQ. Etc. etc.
My best regards,
Ton

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2019, 11:08:48 PM »
Thank you Ton and Telmo, what a difference it makes to the sound via the onboard speakers.
I’ve never been any good at these type of settings, so greatly appreciated.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

AndyMark

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 09:23:41 PM »
Hello! I am in this forum for the first time, but I often browse it, especially for the new PSR-SX900, which I intend to buy as an additional keyboard. The "EQ-GOLD" setting, which indicated "ton37", was applied to my PSR-S975, which sounded very good on the internal speakers and in the headphones. The sound of the instrument has become clearer and the bass is fuller.
When I play on external active M-Audio loudspeakers connected via my large Subwoofer (in the "Frequency" range from 0 to 200 Hz), I need to significantly reduce the "Gain" value for 32 Hz (eg Gain = 0 dB). I also reduce the "Frequency" in the second column of the setting table from 315 Hz to 200 Hz, according to the subwoofer range.
I understand that "rikkisbears", "Telmo", "Dnj", "rgw" rated the "EQ-GOLD" setting positively. I am still adjusting the settings that "Telmo" gave to my external speakers. Thank you.
I am also curious about the opinions of other forum members about this EQ setting.

I am puzzled, however, by the "Frequency" 400 Hz value in the seventh column of the settings table (penultimate). The "Frequency" values ​​gradually increase in subsequent columns (from 1 to 6), while the value in the seventh column of the settings table does not fall between 3.6 kHz and 4.0 kHz and is strangely low (400 Hz). I don't know enough about sound engineering, but I'd love to get an explanation of this phenomenon.

Greetings from Poland
Andy (Andrzej)

Offline Dnj

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2019, 10:20:05 PM »
Personally at this time I won't have a SX900 till tomorrow,...Global EQ of any type should always be a personal thing adjusted by the "players ears" only to achieve the best sound for them and their music & YOUR speakers systems for a general sound. That said EACH style part must be adjusted for each song to get the best sound you need.....if you use your ears you will be surprised at the results.....no EQ is written in stone.

good luck

Offline Telmo

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2019, 11:18:27 PM »
Hello! I am in this forum for the first time, but I often browse it, especially for the new PSR-SX900, which I intend to buy as an additional keyboard. The "EQ-GOLD" setting, which indicated "ton37", was applied to my PSR-S975, which sounded very good on the internal speakers and in the headphones. The sound of the instrument has become clearer and the bass is fuller.
When I play on external active M-Audio loudspeakers connected via my large Subwoofer (in the "Frequency" range from 0 to 200 Hz), I need to significantly reduce the "Gain" value for 32 Hz (eg Gain = 0 dB). I also reduce the "Frequency" in the second column of the setting table from 315 Hz to 200 Hz, according to the subwoofer range.
I understand that "rikkisbears", "Telmo", "Dnj", "rgw" rated the "EQ-GOLD" setting positively. I am still adjusting the settings that "Telmo" gave to my external speakers. Thank you.
I am also curious about the opinions of other forum members about this EQ setting.

I am puzzled, however, by the "Frequency" 400 Hz value in the seventh column of the settings table (penultimate). The "Frequency" values ​​gradually increase in subsequent columns (from 1 to 6), while the value in the seventh column of the settings table does not fall between 3.6 kHz and 4.0 kHz and is strangely low (400 Hz). I don't know enough about sound engineering, but I'd love to get an explanation of this phenomenon.

Greetings from Poland
Andy (Andrzej)
Andy, I'm also considering other choices. I've just read about a musician experience with other settings which I also will try to see how it goes. Check the image.

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, Jacob, Lyndyloo

Offline Telmo

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2019, 11:52:26 PM »
Well, I must admit. I got a warmer sound with Lee's Settings.

The following users thanked this post: Jacob

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2019, 12:50:27 AM »
Thank you , another setting to try. Appreciate it. The first couple made a big difference, so be interesting how this one goes.
I’ve never really understood eq settings ie what to boost , what to turn down,  don’t have the ear for it, but I can hear the difference at the end.

So thank you.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2019, 04:06:31 AM »
Wow, that is fascinating. Been going thru a bunch of old psr 2000/2100 styles, almost unusable sort of grate on the ears, they sound harsh. Got even worse with some of the above settings, Lee’s was the warmest of the 3. So out of interest I tried Mellow setting, those really harsh drum sounds are almost useable. Had the same problem with some of the Genos styles, I was given, thought they may have been altered in some way, but a different eq setting really helped.
Thanks guys for bringing the subject up, been super helpful.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline ton37

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2019, 07:08:30 AM »
Personally at this time I won't have a SX900 till tomorrow,...Global EQ of any type should always be a personal thing adjusted by the "players ears" only to achieve the best sound for them and their music & YOUR speakers systems for a general sound. That said EACH style part must be adjusted for each song to get the best sound you need.....if you use your ears you will be surprised at the results.....no EQ is written in stone.

good luck
+1
Besides that: it is a good thing that one is aware of the fact that eq and compression could have a great impact on the overall or particular sounds wehnever you use this feature 8)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 07:20:10 AM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline robinez

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2019, 12:57:27 PM »
My opinion is that boosting all kind of bands isn't a real solution for a better sound. Those kind of eq settings are set by most people because people's perception is that a louder signal is a better signal.

So boosting EQ values with very large values may seem better but actually it makes the sound worse, due to the fact that the headroom of the signal will be filled completely with unwanted signals. For instance a 10 db boost on 32hz is not a really good solution, most speakers aren't capable of playing signals below 30hz (unless you are using subwoofers), so in that case you destroy a lot of your headroom by boosting signals which you can't even hear. The end result will be that your total sound signature will be a muddy mess. By cutting sounds below 30 hz you will create headroom for the other frequencies that you can hear, which will result in a much more detailed bass presence for instance.

I analysed the output of the Genos in my studio, i saw that the flat EQ response had two problem area's ,one area lies below 32hz and one problem is a small default EQ boost on 480 hz. I've solved that in the settings in my screenshot below. It creates a different sound then you would normally have but in my opinion it gives you a more transparant and more detailed sound to start with.

I totally agree with the previous posters that everyone should modify the start settings to their own liking, but really, only boosting all kind of EQ bands isn't a real good solution. So depending on your speaker setup you can do all kind of tweaks,but try not to only boost area's but also try to cut some area's to keep the headroom to an acceptable level and just increate the volume of he sound instead of increasing the volume by boosting till 10 db of bands.

Here are my settings, maybe someone can use those as a starting point, but if you are happy with the EQ gold settings, then of course keep those.

Offline Telmo

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2019, 02:11:09 PM »
Thank you Robinez for providing your settings so that we can try. I'll will experiment with your settings to see how it sounds. Best regards.

The following users thanked this post: JohnStarbuck, sillo

Offline ton37

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2019, 02:39:46 PM »
Thank you Robinez for your clear explanation. I will certainly going to add your settings on a usermemory to try them out on my sx900.
My best regards,
Ton

The following users thanked this post: JohnStarbuck

Offline Dnj

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2019, 05:27:00 PM »
robbinez very nice EQ settings on my sx900...much cleaner and bright then EQ giold
 thank you

Offline Telmo

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2019, 07:09:39 PM »
robbinez very nice EQ settings on my sx900...much cleaner and bright then EQ giold
 thank you
I felt the same. This setting is one of the best so far. Well done.

Offline ton37

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2019, 07:17:42 PM »
I have tried them also and the EQ of Robinez are my favorite, (playing directly throught the SX-speakers) As said: much clearer and well balanced sound. thanks again @Robinez!
My best regards,
Ton

Offline panos

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2019, 07:52:45 PM »
Don't forget to experiment with the equalizer settings.
I totally agree with Dnj and Robinez although I am just an amateur player
(I have worked as a DJ on my youth so I faced the same problems with the hall,the speakers,different quality of Vinyl Disks or CD's,or your ears after a couple of hours of loud music don't hear properly no more so you have to trust what you see in the mixing console and don't over do it with the frequencies and sound etc)

You can save the one EQ setting that you feel is nice and then mess around with minor adjustments of this EQ setting with different styles and different sounds and different octaves on your keyboard and hear if something might sound a little better.

I read a lot on the forum about annoying and loud "hi hat" and "cymbal" sounds on the forum on preset styles and people are wondering why the heck did Yamaha put those sounds in a nice style.
My opinion is that the Treble EQ settings(those on the right) on your keyboard is just too high, making these sounds just intolerable.
Or If you already have a  a woofer there is no need to boost the bass frequencies from your keyboard's EQ.Is is not logical at all.Let the woofer do it's job.

Therε is no such thing as a perfect EQ for all circumstances.
The ideal would be for every song you are playing to have a third hand to adjust the EQ settings all the time.
Every song style/midi/mp3 has it's own frequencies.

So we have just to compromise with what it sounds relativity better and not perfect.

AndyMark

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2019, 09:50:50 PM »
Thank you "Telmo". Thank you "robinez". Thank you "panos". Thank you all for interesting statements. I don't trust my old ears a bit. I would like the instrument to sound good also to others who listen to it. For lack of knowledge and experience, I try to use some tested sound pattern. I got encouragement from you to get to know the subject a little and to experiment and try.
"Telmo" - I have to admit that Lee's settings are more convincing.
"robinez" - your settings are interesting (I will check them) - I have a subwoofer with a range of 20Hz - 200Hz and I set "Gain" well below zero (-dB), I want to fit it well into the entire bouquet of sounds.

Sorry for my English.
My best regards,
Andy (Andrzej)

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2019, 10:25:29 PM »
Thanks guys this has been so helpful. Next I will try Robinez.  settings.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2019, 10:59:21 PM »
Here are my settings

Hi Robinez, the settings further  to the right, should they be the same as for the Flat eq setting?
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline robinez

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2019, 11:05:34 PM »
Hi Robinez, the settings further  to the right, should they be the same as for the Flat eq setting?
If you watch the picture on a tablet you can scroll the picture by holding it and dragging it to see all the settings. All the settings are in the picture

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2019, 12:07:34 AM »
Hi Robinez,
Thank you, slightly embarrassed, I didn’t spot that.
Thank you for settings and the post. Very helpful.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline robinez

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2019, 08:28:24 AM »
Therε is no such thing as a perfect EQ for all circumstances.
The ideal would be for every song you are playing to have a third hand to adjust the EQ settings all the time.
Every song style/midi/mp3 has it's own frequencies.
yes, i agree.

The Master EQ is a setting that colors the sound output of the genos / sx900 to your liking. It's a general setting that can be applied to anything to adjust the sound for your specific monitor setup / room acoustics. Of course for every style you should do minor EQ adjustments in the style itself, based on the selection of sounds and volume levels of each element to avoid things like for instance masking (masking can happen when two sound sources have energy in similar frequency ranges). But to be honest i think this is more an area for sound designers / mixing and mastering engineers.

In my opinion it's not needed to adjust EQ settings constantly during the song, you can take the loudest part of your song and set the EQ / volume levels for that specific part and it will sound good for the rest of your song. If you have the luxury of a studio with the correct tools you can indeed take it a step further and apply techniques like for instance Dynamic EQ which modifies it constantly.

Good to read that a few people here can use the EQ settings from my picture as a starting point
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 09:22:36 AM by robinez »

Offline rmuzic

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2019, 10:52:44 PM »
S770

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, Jacob

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2019, 02:56:49 AM »
Thank you rmuzic.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline rgw

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2019, 04:38:52 PM »
And from me rmuzic, much appreciated.

Richard.

AndyMark

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2019, 06:29:36 PM »
Thank you rmuzic.

Andy

DonM

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2019, 08:51:43 PM »
As Robinez mentioned, it's almost never a great idea to boost every frequency.  Professional sound engineers tend to slightly cut certain frequencies most of the time.  Raising every frequency is just like turning up the volume.

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2019, 11:13:52 PM »
As Robinez mentioned, it's almost never a great idea to boost every frequency.  Professional sound engineers tend to slightly cut certain frequencies most of the time.  Raising every frequency is just like turning up the volume.

It’s his I’m using at the moment, sounds best to my ears.
It’s great that there’s some alternatives to try, something I’ve never been good at. I know whether or not I like the end result, but wouldn’t have a clue how to achieve what I would like.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline Ingar

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2019, 07:34:01 PM »
My opinion is that boosting all kind of bands isn't a real solution for a better sound. Those kind of eq settings are set by most people because people's perception is that a louder signal is a better signal.

That is great. Like it a lot. Thanks!

Greeting from Ingar

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2019, 08:55:11 PM »
Robinez, I thank you profusely for these modified settings :)!

I use two Bose L1 Compacts and compared my original EQ Gold settings with your modified ones. They sound far more realistic and the bass really shines through. One small difference I made was to keep my original setting where the 32Hz frequency was. I changed that to 56Hz and added 4dB of gain. My Bose speakers have an F3 cutoff of 65Hz. I'm not sure what slope Bose applies to this high pass filter but when I added the 4dB boost at 56Hz, the bass was even more solid than before.

For larger shows, I add my sub. That will be my next test. I've always had a hard time getting decent, well-defined bass from my Genos. You just may have solved a major issue for me. Thanks!!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 08:57:06 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline robinez

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2019, 09:40:41 PM »
Robinez, I thank you profusely for these modified settings :)!

I use two Bose L1 Compacts and compared my original EQ Gold settings with your modified ones. They sound far more realistic and the bass really shines through. One small difference I made was to keep my original setting where the 32Hz frequency was. I changed that to 56Hz and added 4dB of gain. My Bose speakers have an F3 cutoff of 65Hz. I'm not sure what slope Bose applies to this high pass filter but when I added the 4dB boost at 56Hz, the bass was even more solid than before.

For larger shows, I add my sub. That will be my next test. I've always had a hard time getting decent, well-defined bass from my Genos. You just may have solved a major issue for me. Thanks!!
thanks, you are right, it's always wise to set the levels matching your own monitor setup.

Offline rmuzic

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2019, 07:51:31 PM »
these settings sound good with the subwoofer Yamaha DXS12  from (SUB AUX)

Alexandru

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2020, 02:31:22 PM »
I tried Genos settings for EQ on my SX700. Sound is good. I don't know about that value of 400Hz... It's not the right place for that value... Maybe 4kHz

Online ckobu

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2020, 02:52:18 PM »
I suggest you watch this video for a better understanding of how EQ works. Include subtitles in English.

https://youtu.be/vPzkYHt80jQ
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: LaHawk

Offline Totomo

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2020, 06:32:02 AM »
I love EQ Gold on Genos with GS01, but not on SX900 onboard speaker.

I tweak a new EQ which has fuller sound without fart the on board speaker when the master volume knod set at 2 o'clock.

EQ
100hz          6db
250hz   1.6  2db
450hz   1.6  2db
700hz   1.6  1db
1.6khz  1.6  1db
2.8khz  1.4  2db
5.6khz  1.4  3db
10khz         10db

Compressor
Comp    34
texture  77
output   54

Keyboard Initial touch
Hard 1

The keyboard play more control, better touch feeling and voice get better dynamic.

The following users thanked this post: ton37

Offline ton37

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2020, 09:55:04 AM »
Thank you for sharing and it's nice to your taste @Totomo.
EQ-ing remain primarily a personal choice and depend on the circumstances. For some, the setting sounds beautiful, for others not yet perfect. Variables are for example: the age of the listener (the quality of the hearing), the room in which is played (Acoustics) and the dimensions of the room / hall, the surface on which the keyboard is placed (eg on a wooden desk or free-hanging ), the preset of customer styles or sounds etc. etc. And to make it even more subtle: the taste of the listener.

Nevertheless, EQ-ing is an important area of attention and the keyboard deserves the attention of the player. It is for good reason that this function is included in the keyboard. Use it well and the keyboard (or recorded song) will sound better if used properly.
My best regards,
Ton

The following users thanked this post: Dnj

Offline Dnj

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2020, 07:46:25 PM »
Totomo I have to admit I just tried your CMP/EQ settings on the SX900 and I really like the sound.
Best I've heard so far using the onboard speakers.
Thank you for this I will be using it in the weeks to come for sure....good job.
To my ears the only change I made was lowing the Gain from +6 as suggested to +1...

Take Care

Offline XofSwords

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2020, 12:59:29 AM »
Hi. Have had my SX900 for a few months and recorded some songs to USB. I feel like they have a slightly muddy sound. Not awful, but just feels like they could sound clearer. My music is dance / electro / pop and I generally applied either the “punchy” or “electronic” Compressor and the “powerful” or “bright” EQ as I don’t know anything about the technical side of things and those sounded better than just keeping it on “flat” and “natural”.

Would the settings suggested by users in this thread produce better results?

Also is the “output” option in the Compressor settings simply a volume adjust? Because songs recorded on the SX900 (and same when I recorded on previous models) to USB are noticeably quieter than commercially released music. Would increasing the Output have any negative effect on the recording? Thanks!

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2020, 05:38:22 PM »
Does anyone have the original EQ Gold settings saved? Can't open the link anymore

Offline overover

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2020, 07:32:52 PM »
Does anyone have the original EQ Gold settings saved? Can't open the link anymore

Hi Patrick,

please do not multi-post. One post per request is sufficient (either you post in an existing thread or you start a new thread).

I just answered you here:
>>> https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,47881.msg447350.html#msg447350

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: patrick.r99

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2020, 08:54:02 PM »
Hi Patrick,

please do not multi-post. One post per request is sufficient (either you post in an existing thread or you start a new thread).

I just answered you here:
>>> https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,47881.msg447350.html#msg447350

Best regards,
Chris

Yes I saw that sorry I just thought since both these topics haven't been read in a while I would try my luck in both but I will not multipost in the future