Author Topic: Controlling the Genos from a midi keyboard  (Read 43378 times)

Alfred59

Controlling the Genos from a midi keyboard
« on: October 19, 2019, 12:01:49 PM »
Hi
Can I connect another midi keyboard  and play the Genos sounds on it?  Ive recently bought the new  Fantom6  synth and YouTube video shows how to do this with  a Korg keyboard. I’ve tried to do the same with the Genos but without success.  I’ve looked elsewhere  on line and can’t find the answer. Can this be achieved  and if so what are the midi settings for the Genos. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Alfred

Bachus

Re: Controlling the Genos from a midi keyboard
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 03:54:35 PM »
Hi
Can I connect another midi keyboard  and play the Genos sounds on it?  Ive recently bought the new  Fantom6  synth and YouTube video shows how to do this with  a Korg keyboard. I’ve tried to do the same with the Genos but without success.  I’ve looked elsewhere  on line and can’t find the answer. Can this be achieved  and if so what are the midi settings for the Genos. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Alfred

Offcourse you can do this... but you need to set up things the right way..

How is your basic midi knowledge?

Alfred59

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 04:17:20 PM »
Hi Bachus,
Thanks for responding. My knowledge is pretty basic I’m afraid. I’ve connected midi out Fantom to midi in on the Genos. I’ve done the settings ok  on the Fantom. I get confused on the Genos side. I can see a midi channel lighting up on the Genos as a press a key on the Fantom. But the sound I get is just the Genos piano which plays with the Fantom sound. I can’t seem to change the sounds on the Genos.
Look forward to hearing further from you.
Alfred

Offline MIKEP

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 07:33:21 PM »
On Genos:
Menu
Midi (menu 2)
Top toolbar Select preset
Click on All Parts

Midi keyboard will play Genos voices

Alfred59

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 09:39:28 PM »
Mikep,
Thank you for the settings which I’ve just tried but unfortunately with no success. I’m still  just getting the Genos piano when I play the Fantom. The Genos midi channel lights up so there is a connection. Any other suggestions would be gratefully received.
Thanks again.
Alfred

Bachus

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 07:10:31 AM »
Mikep,
Thank you for the settings which I’ve just tried but unfortunately with no success. I’m still  just getting the Genos piano when I play the Fantom. The Genos midi channel lights up so there is a connection. Any other suggestions would be gratefully received.
Thanks again.
Alfred

This means your fantom is probably only sending on midi channel 1..

I haven’t found a way to set the Genos to slave keyboard.. (which is what you are actually trying to do..

Now on the fantom side you should make a scene with 4 midi parts..
Which transmits on midi 1 for right 1 voice on Genos
Midi2 for right 2 voice on Genos
Midi3 for right 3 voice on Genos
Midi4 for the left hand voice on Genos..

You also need to set a midi channel for chord detect on the genos..
This could be midi4, but also a different channel..

This is how i did it on the modx..

So when you want to play fantom voices with Genos styles..
You just add on the fantom the channel you assigned to chord detect..
And when you strike a key in the assigned area, it feedsthe Genos style emgine with information..

If someone knows how to set the genos to slave a 2nd keyboard, i would live to know..

Alfred59

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 07:54:06 AM »
Thank you for the  instructions Bachus, i appreciate your help. I’d no idea slaving the Genos was so difficult. I’ll  try the settings you’ve given me and let you know how I get on. Alfred

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2019, 10:00:29 AM »
These are my settings for my Tyros + NP30 Twinset which may be of some help.

Tyros & NP30 Twinset

Tyros. Function \ Splitpoints. Set Split Points R1 & R2 to C1.(last key left) R3 C1#. Previous Registrations saved may alter this.

NP30 Midi Out to Tyros Midi In B. Only one lead required.

Tyros. Function \ Utilities \ Midi \ Edit.
Page to System and set Receive Transpose to ON.
Page to Receive and set CH1 from Song to LEFT.
Page to Chord detect Tick CH1.
Volume Control of NP30 is OFF as it's acting as a dummy to trigger Tyros Chords \ Styles.

The Midi Template settings above Save As (name ?) Suggest Lower ON into USER.
I did another Template leaving Receive CH1 to Song and Saved As Lower OFF into USER. This enables you to switch off Tyros left voice if not required as on the Tyros left voice switch does operate on this setup when playing from NP30.

Additional NOTE. Normally the TwinSet NP30 would be playing chords around middle C as per Organ.
The NP30 can be transposed one octave down by.....
Holding Grand Piano Button down whilst pressing C4. This now plays the Tyros Left Voice -1 Octave

« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 10:03:05 AM by Graham UK »
DGX670

Alfred59

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2019, 10:17:52 PM »
Hi Bachus  and Graham,
Thank you for your information. I’ve adapted it to the genos and am having some success. I can now play genos voices  with the volume turned off on the fantom. I hope  to be able to play the genos voices separately  so that I can record both on the fantom. I also need to look at the style input  as I’m only getting the bottom three keys dedicated to it. But thanks again for your help. I feel I’m getting somewhere  at last!
Alfred

Offline Mike W

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2019, 02:54:57 AM »
Hi Alfred,

Congratulations on the Fantom!   I have a Fantom 8 and it is a very nice match with the Genos.  I am really impressed with how great the Fantom sounds- a nice complement to Genos and so many great piano, instrument and synth sounds.

The Fantom is the most advanced midi keyboard I ever had, and while it is fairly simple to operate, it can get a bit confusing since it is so powerful. From reading your posts, the first step is getting a deep understanding of how to select and assign zones. The attached link is an excellent video to help you better understand how to select and assign the internal and external zones, and will give you the reason you are hearing the Fantom when you play the Genos (eg one of the Fantom internal zones is also selected when you are playing the Genos voices).

zone video:  https://youtu.be/kQgV5t9GGfA

Another excellent video on the midi parameters is in the attached link. This will give you everything you need to know about how to program it for different midi settings. I would recommend that you watch this after the previous video.

midi settings video:  https://youtu.be/Ch8LfAn2Yow

Everything else you need for your set up is on the Genos in the midi settings menu.   I usually use zone 7 to send NTA (note to arranger/ lower keyboard) to the Genos. So that means on the Fantom I need to have zone 7 lit in order for the Genos to read my left hand notes so it knows the chords I’m playing, and it is set to external on the Fantom (hold shift and the zone button).  That also means Genos is set to ‘listen’ and receive notes on this channel for the arranger section.  On Fantom you can set up a zone for any layer on Genos (lower, upper 1-2-3) as long as your Fantom out channel matches the Genos in channel.

The nice thing you have with the Fantom is you can control the Genos in a few different ways. One of my favorite approaches is to assign Upper 2 and Upper 3 to different zones on the Fantom.  That makes it easy to play Upper 1 on Genos, and have different instrument sounds of Upper 2 and 3 assigned to Fantom. With the touch of a button you can turn on either and play it on the Fantom, adjust the volume, change panning or control almost anything you want that is controlled by midi. You can turn on or off the sustain pedal for either, and use the controller wheels or pitch wheel too. I like this approach since you can create a scene that can be used with multiple styles and songs for live playing (since you have 16 zones to add instruments to- a big selection to choose from).

A different approach is you could create a separate scene for each song on the Fantom, and load in the midi bank and patch change numbers for the Genos voice you wish to trigger, so it  automatically selects a voice on the Genos.   It’s like having 16 registrations that you can program in each scene!

Whatever you decide, once you get more comfortable with the midi programming and controls on the Fantom you will find you can do just about anything you can think of.

Hope this helps and enjoy!

Mike

The following users thanked this post: MIKEP, KeyboardByBiggs

Alfred59

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2019, 10:51:00 PM »
Hi Mike,
Thanks for email. Yes what a fantastic keyboard the fantom is. I’ve never had a synthesiser before but was so impressed with the demos on you tube  I took the plunge. I’m glad I did as it’s affording me great pleasure setting up the integration with the genos and DAWs. Thanks for the YouTube links which I have already looked at and they have helped me setting up. I’m getting more control over the genos with individual sounds coming onto the fantom now. Also thanks for the ideas on upper 2 and 3. I’ll give that a try. Have you managed to play the genos styles on the fantom? Maybe that’s not possible. But overall I’m so pleased with the set up. As you say, a perfect combination of keyboards.
All the best
Alfred