Author Topic: Making use of Fav.style feature as a 'pen'  (Read 75601 times)

blackpool

Making use of Fav.style feature as a 'pen'
« on: October 13, 2019, 06:01:10 PM »
Very handy to be able use favourite style feature as a working/holding 'pen' for any styles you like (preset or even user)
I noticed when i found a nice style in an imported registration, if you just go back to main screen . hit orange style field and simply 'fav' the style from there out of the registration. it is then saved for you in the fav. folder to load and use again as you wish. Very handy for me ( being lazy ) as its an easy way around when i am reg. editing/creating.

and what a bonus imported user styles can also be added to 'favs'

Funny i never discovered this with Genos -but imagine it would work the same

Keith

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline tyrosaurus

Re: Making use of Fav.style feature as a 'pen'
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 06:52:11 PM »
Hi Keith,

Are you sure that you can save user styles that are stored on the USER or USB drives as Favorites?

On Genos you can currently only save Preset styles (and voices) as Favorites, which is disappointing.

I see that  the section 'Registering Files to the Favorite Tab' on page 7 of the PSR-SX900 Reference Manual which explains the Favorites function only refers to Presets.

It says :   "You can call up your favorite or often used preset Styles or Voices quickly by registering them to the Favorite tab on the File Selection display".

There have been a couple of firmware updates to the SX models since the original release, so maybe the manual has not been updated, However the Version History of the firmware updates does not mention that you can add non preset styles/voices as favorites.

It would be good news if you can save user styles/voices in the USER drive or USB on your SX, since this improved function would likely appear in the next Genos firmware update too.

Can anyone confirm that user styles and voices can be added to 'Favorites' on an SX as well as presets.

Regards

Ian

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

blackpool

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 07:36:20 PM »
not tried voices ( as not loaded any ) but - when i hold down a loaded user style it lights yellow at the side and then appears in 'fav' list

i am not tech.at all Ian i just loaded all my Gem/ roland etc...conversion styles  from usb to user and it saves to fav. from there no probs.

Have not tried direct from usb but will do when Im on again

keith
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 07:51:20 PM by blackpool »

blackpool

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 12:49:42 PM »
Any feedback on this would be great

Does it work for others or am i going crazy!! ..... lol

Just checked with a friend and NO it does not work on Genos

Thanks

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 01:31:41 PM »
I have just tried this and can confirm it DOES work on SX900. This is great but you must not move or delete them once they are saved to Favorites. Make sure though that you don't fill your user space with things you do not want.
  Maybe this feature may be added to Genos in the update.

Offline reya

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 01:43:54 PM »
I have just tried this and can confirm it DOES work on SX900. This is great but you must not move or delete them once they are saved to Favorites. Make sure though that you don't fill your user space with things you do not want.
  Maybe this feature may be added to Genos in the update.

That's indeed great news!
I hope it also works for user voices and not just user styles ...

Best regards
Rudy
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets

blackpool

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 02:36:54 PM »
Thanks for the confirm .....i am not home alone and need a dark room....lol 

Yes - Not to get blocked up with debris E.....very good point, but this I find a great holding 'pen' to then copy into another reg or style folder from favs. you can just drop a nice style in there and go back to it later.
often time I like something and later forget where/what it was, so easy as there are just so many choices of styles I have over 10,000 !!!  so you often time find a few gems amongst the rubbish....

Keith 

ps.. there is TONS of space now in user I've only used about 15% with thousands of style and reg files. not like Tyros/psr....
why that was so little god knows, when you can load endless stuff to ext. USBs make one internal.... bit like they did on Genos but glad this model is PERFECT !!!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 03:07:04 PM by blackpool »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 03:42:51 PM »
Yes I think we have about 6Gb on SX where as we have 58Gb on Genos. WAV recordings can eat into this a bit thought.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 06:46:25 PM »
Hi Keith and Eileen,

Thanks for confirming this on the SX models.   :)

To do this Yamaha must have changed the way that Favorites are implemented on SX from how it is on Genos.  I assume that the new way stores the full file path/name instead of just the style internal ID number and voice number.  If this is the case it should be possible to implement the same method on Genos, so here's hoping that the next firmware upgrade will include it, making the Favorites function on Genos much more useful. 

If you get a minute, would one of you please mind checking something else about Favorites on your SX for me? 

Does it look as if the styles are listed in alphabetical order in the SX Favorites selection screen, rather than how they are on Genos which appears to be the order in which they were added to Favorites? 

An alphabetical listing in the Favorites list would make finding a specific style much easier once you have a good number of them in the list (on Genos up to 100 styles can be added to Favorites).

Regards

Ian

blackpool

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 08:23:18 PM »
Hi Ian - It seems to just store in order of time, not A to Z  and simply adds to the list, latest last . Taken it to 100 an that is max. so its the same as Genos.

I really only intend using this as a 'holding pen' Ian, so would not want to keep much in there. i see it as a far better feature with regard to user files rather than preset, as i have many more user than preset and often time finding something later in user is a nightmare.as i load user folders en-bloc and wade through to find what i want and can quickly pop them in here if of interest to work on later.

Keith

ps ....what i do miss and NOBODY will go with me on this one .....Step back on a psr/Tyros and the originating folder of the file you were in is highlighted .....not that way on Genos /SX  well apart from bottom left corner indicator ....we should have an arrow forward as well as back if they cant highlight it. I tried to get this actioned on Genos but nobody wanted to know.
It's about the ONLY thing i miss 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 08:35:54 PM by blackpool »

konaboy

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 09:55:48 PM »
i don't have the psr in front of me right now, is the favorites button a physical button or something on the screen? i've never noticed it. thanks.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 10:44:52 PM »
Hi Keith,

Thanks for checking this out.  I was afraid that even after (sensibly) switching to using file path/names for favorites on the SX, Yamaha couldn't be bothered to finish the job and sort the items alphabetically in the selection screen.

It's a pity that the designers of the interface on Yamaha arrangers don't show a bit more thought as to how relatively simple additions/modifications can make the user experience easier and less frustrating, alphabetical presentation of lists being just one thing! 

The order of the preset styles is a prime example, so much so that on my Tyros4 I had copied all the preset styles into a couple of folders on the hard disk, which are sorted into alphabetical order by default by the file management functions of the underlying OS. 

Although this might be considered by some to be a waste of disk space, I consider it to be well worth it, since it makes locating one of the presets very much easier (as long as you can remember the name of course)!  I might well do the same with my Genos and copy its  presets to the User drive to make them easier to locate! Together they take up less than 40 MB which is not a significant amount on a 48 GB drive.  It's a shame that I feel the need to do this though!  :'(

Thanks again for checking this out, and for the heads up about Favorites on the SX in the first place.

Regards

Ian

blackpool

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 12:01:07 AM »
Konaboy ... Hi it's the star on the screen next to user... Have a look in the manual under 'favourites' and it explains how to use it .
Great function...
Regards . Keith

Offline EileenL

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2019, 03:42:38 PM »
This also works on User Voices. They also show the order they have been loaded in. If you want them alphabetical you need to load them in this way. It is nice to do this because you can find them quickly.

Offline reya

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2019, 03:33:42 PM »
Sadly it is still not possible to save Expansion styles and voices to favorites

Best regards
Rudy
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets

Offline EileenL

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2019, 06:33:38 PM »
Most of us save expansion styles and sounds to Registrations. Easiest way to go.