Author Topic: Master EQ settings  (Read 45704 times)

Offline jugge

Master EQ settings
« on: October 18, 2019, 08:33:45 PM »
Hi,

Found some Genos master EQ settings and though I it might be useful for some.
Just tried them myself and think it made Genos sounded even greater than before  ;D
https://www.soundpacks.co.uk/blogs/news/eq-settings-for-genos
Welcome to Yamaha Beats. Genos and MODX covers on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9yKCzqlOhkulwHFF6P-_Vw

The following users thanked this post: Georgeandmarj

Offline ugawoga

Re: Master EQ settings
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 09:38:37 PM »
Hi

They are good settings for a start . Not a bad average
All depends on what speakers or surroundings you are in.
If recording, Flat is best and then you can master on a program like Cubase.
all the best
John.

Like those Mearcats say -- SIMPLES'
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 09:40:04 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline JanCK

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 05:58:14 PM »
Thank you very much for posting these settings.  They are working great for me!

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 10:01:19 PM »
Jugge, not to burst your bubble but those settings are known as EQ Gold settings and have been posted before. There was considerable concern about the 12 dB gain at 32 Hz. If you are using a very good subwoofer that is linear down to about 30 Hz (which is more common than you think) that setting will kill people and likely cause massive distortion, if not the total destruction, of your subwoofer. An increase of 12 dB is about 2.4 times the perceived volume. In short, the 32 Hz setting is useless to people using regular full-range speakers and laughable to those who use top-quality subwoofers. Please see the attached picture for my modified version.

I use these settings with the 600 watt, 15-inch subwoofer that I designed. It sounds great, although I am having some issues with consistency in the megabass voices but that's another problem all together :).

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 10:05:12 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK

Mike2

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 10:53:44 PM »
I posted the original EQ Gold settings, I don't remember how long ago, but they are the best for me. I now own the Bose S1 Pro Pa Speakers.
This setting gives the Genos the best quality sound in every category for styles, and voices for me. I had previously owned the Lucas Nano 300, and thought that the sound was excellent. But after comparing the Bose S1 Pro Pa Speakers to the Lucas Nao 300, it's amazing how different and better the overall Genos keyboard sounds. For me, sound is everything. That is why for me, everything else with this keyboard is relative. The sound for me trumps everything else. Having all these extra's are fine, but in the end, give me a great sound, from the keyboard. The speakers play such a huge role in that. Everything else is doesn't matter to me that much.

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

Offline panos

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 06:32:12 PM »
A graphical  visualization of the EQ gold.
I don't have 8 band EQ so I didn't include the 1.6 khz which is 1 db but you get the picture.

Wil5560

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 09:02:24 PM »
What would be the recommended settings owning and using the Genos speakers and woofer MS01?

Mike2

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 09:55:33 PM »
The Genos MS01 Speakers as far as I'm concerned, are ok for when you are playing in a small room at home. Even than, the quality of sound, and low's are missing. Yamaha had to know about this concern when they added these speakers for the basic Genos keyboard speaker sound. I just think that the Genos keyboard is such an advanced keyboard, and with these affordable speakers that they included for the keyboard, just didn't bring the best sound out of the Genos. To pay nearly $5000 for a superior keyboard, and have a sub par speaker system, to me, just doesn't make sense. I understand the weight, and so forth, but the sound that the keyboard produces, is only as good as the speakers.. That's my experience.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 10:14:45 PM »
They are not sub par speakers in my opinion. They are designed for the Genos and work fine, as Yamaha intended them to do. And I know, I know, I know, sound is subjective, so each to their own. Peace and love :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Wil5560

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2019, 10:19:59 AM »
Thanks for the reply and yes the Genos speakerset is maybe not the top of the bill. However I am using them in a small room.
If there is a recommended EQ setting, then please share it here.

thanks

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2019, 11:54:29 AM »
It surprises me the poor sound from some speakers that people put up with, is it because they have not experience a good pair of powered monitors.
Satellites plus Sub-Bass units basically produce upper bass boom with no low bass at all.
Low bass is felt rather than heard and to experience it is a pleasure and never forgotten.
( Iv'e been there and got the T-Shirt !!!)

Top keyboards today cost owners £1000's but they don't want to spend a few £100's on powered monitors which would give the best from a keyboards sound engine.

A good quality pair of headphones is a good starting point to adjust the keyboards EQ Settings.

Once running the keyboard through speakers these EQ setting will require adjustment dependent on room acoustics.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 01:47:18 PM by Graham UK »
DGX670

Offline voodoo

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2019, 12:12:18 PM »
Hi,

Found some Genos master EQ settings and though I it might be useful for some.
Just tried them myself and think it made Genos sounded even greater than before  ;D
https://www.soundpacks.co.uk/blogs/news/eq-settings-for-genos

Hi,

I had a look at these settings, and I am quite curious about those high Q values. So I entered those parameters in my 8 band eq in the Positive Grid Final Touch Mastering app on the iPad. See attached the resulting frequency plot. These settings do not make sense for my understanding

* +12 dB at low shelf -> bass boost
* +10 dB at high shelf -> treble boost
* +5 dB at some random points in mid frequency with much too high Q value -> giving random peaks in the middle

So what should this be good for? I understand bass boost and treble boost, but therefore I don't need a 8 band parametric EQ.

Uli

« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 12:15:47 PM by voodoo »
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline voodoo

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2019, 12:32:12 PM »
Jugge, not to burst your bubble but those settings are known as EQ Gold settings and have been posted before. There was considerable concern about the 12 dB gain at 32 Hz. If you are using a very good subwoofer that is linear down to about 30 Hz (which is more common than you think) that setting will kill people and likely cause massive distortion, if not the total destruction, of your subwoofer. An increase of 12 dB is about 2.4 times the perceived volume. In short, the 32 Hz setting is useless to people using regular full-range speakers and laughable to those who use top-quality subwoofers. Please see the attached picture for my modified version.

I use these settings with the 600 watt, 15-inch subwoofer that I designed. It sounds great, although I am having some issues with consistency in the megabass voices but that's another problem all together :).

Lee,

I made a plot for your eq values. You also have these very high Q values in the middle range. For what are these good?

Uli

Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2019, 08:06:32 PM »
Hi Uli,

The small peak at 5kHz is to give some of the upper frequency sounds a little extra push. Things like the higher overtones of the pianos, strings, flutes, and other higher-pitched instruments. The original boost at 5kHz to 10 dB was way too loud for the Bose L1s.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 08:09:17 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.