Author Topic: Solving a possible issue with MF Files  (Read 27212 times)

blackpool

Solving a possible issue with MF Files
« on: October 15, 2019, 10:37:38 AM »
As mentioned in previous posts -

It is possible to covert music Finder files easily to playlists on Genos / SX.

Back when i had my Genos I do remember having issues with some folders, converting partially but not fully, some had song titles missing, others were ok.  I just could not work this out at all even after several attempts.

I decided in the end after taking advice from a friend to maybe 'try' just loading the problem ones to a Tyros 5 user drive and then copying back out to a USB. then trying again .
Ironically they were then fine .....and have since also loaded correctly to the SX900

Not sure if this was a 'fluke' or not - but if you do have issues, give this a go as it did work for me.

Regards - Keith 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 10:40:05 AM by blackpool »

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline EileenL

Re: Solving a possible issue with MF Files
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 11:28:06 AM »
Always best to load the original MF if possible to avoid any problems.

Pino

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 11:59:00 AM »
Blackpool, thanks for all your SX tips.

Importing the MF from other keyboards sounds very complicated for something that would just give an idea of a rhythm to go with a song that one would be working on. Wouldn’t the voices in the registrations be pointing the wrong way.
Is the limit 2,500 entries on the SX.

I don’t think that I have ever used the registration that’s included in the MF
I always re-do the OTS and change other settings in the mixer.

I find a text file is better

I have a text file with 8000+ entries of rhythms that may match a song
If I do a search of the song name then it may come up with 3 or 4 possible styles
These styles may be from a different keyboard, no problem, I have them on my stick.
Then I would run through each style to see if I get a hit.

Once I find a style with the right feel then I’m ready to make it my style,
It’s a big time saver just to get to that first stage to build a song style

Pino

blackpool

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 12:53:42 PM »
Hi Pino  thanks for that as well!

No - The simple point I was trying to make was -

If anybody comes up with this problem, when converting MF records, then loading and re-copying the folders FIRST using a Tyros 5 did the trick....well for me it did oddly and i had been messing around with them for ages to try and find a solution.

I have over 10,000 Yamaha MF song/tune records in 5 user folders. i dont have any issues with them at all. ok some may need tweaking, re-voicing and perhaps tempo adjustments.
For me they are a great basis for any song i want using search in registration, its a dream and each conversion provides a style with OTS and tempo in a single registration setting in its own bank with the rest of the empty bank buttons ready to edit and then re save as you wish.

Keith
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 12:57:46 PM by blackpool »

Pino

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 02:10:18 PM »
10,000 Yamaha MF song/tune records in 5 user folders.
You’ve been a very busy,

Tweeking will go on forever, that’s just part of the job,

Could you upload one of your files somewhere,
I’ve always used the MF as a starting block.

Pino

blackpool

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 02:42:16 PM »
Obviously Pino - You only tweak the ones you want to use yourself from the 1000's of files you have converted in your user drive  - Its not time consuming at all.

ie. search for a particular title in main registration screen , You might get a dozen or so resulting options for a song title - try out the results and then use from there what you like to simply edit re copy and save.
I just then move it to my own genre folders I have created .... what could be easier.

Talked about this yesterday and did not post the link ( sorry )  - I seem to remember Yamaha T5 UK version was free from Yamaha - but Joe Waters sells sets in the shop as well on this forums website see -   https://www.psrtutorial.com/cdrom/productsum.html

ps it takes 10 to 15 minutes for the sx to convert a folder containing  2,500  mf files to a playlist with a reg bank for each entry  so you can do over 10,000 in under an hour and it uses about a third of a gig only.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 03:04:10 PM by blackpool »