Author Topic: Very pleased with file loading  (Read 107797 times)

blackpool

Very pleased with file loading
« on: October 12, 2019, 02:50:19 PM »
Very pleased with the way this has handled all my files from previous boards.

All my stuff has loaded great, just 'tweaking' as I go, making use of the third upper voice, which is missing from a lot of my files ( obviously psr ) . Ironically it seems to be piano by de-fault.
I have noticed some of my conversions especially Gem and Roland seem to be behaving very well.

Not sure if it's just a fluke, but when I save to user, it seems to only open the 'correct' file sets and I dont get the blank screen syndrome, which is handy.
All round very pleased to have some of the Genos features on what is really a PSR.

Its the first time I have owned a Yamaha and not wished it did 'this or that' from other models. This seems to be a great 'mixed breed' I really quite like this keyboard for such a modest investment.

Keith

« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 06:13:51 PM by blackpool »

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline EileenL

Re: Very pleased with file loading
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 02:57:44 PM »
Pleased you are enjoying it. It is a great little keyboard.

Pino

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 03:17:53 PM »
It’s the best PSR to date.

Pino

blackpool

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 04:21:47 PM »
One thing I have noticed it's like Genos as far as file selection is concerned . When you arrow ( step ) back on screen from say a file to a folder it is not highlighted like Tyros / psr as to which folder you were in before . Yes, it shows in the bottom left corner.
I found this very handy for moving quickly bacwards and forwards in the same genre/cat. on Tyros /psr. I suppose you get used to it ...I did on Genos

Cant really find anything else which I am not happy with - I do like the new keybed on it and the BEST thing for me are the position of the assignable buttons.
Being able to pair them and use 'together' as re-set function for say transpose/upper octave control beggars belief that it works in this way......clever Yamaha people!!!
The compact layout they have 'had' to do is GREAT (because of speaker space)
Even on a 76 it has always driven me mad, they run the above keybed controls the full length of the 76 notes, when they could be in the same shorter length as is a 61....madness!
So for me the layout is a REAL winner .... On Genos controls are dotted everywhere...crazy in my view.

Loving it!!

ps....Had some moans off people about small screen, but in opinion, given the manual controls are just so handy, I only use touch screen in between playing for setting up anyway and its ample in size for my liking. I would far rather have a smaller screen and controls where they are than the bigger one on Genos and the crazy layout it has!!

« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 09:16:11 PM by blackpool »

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline panos

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 09:16:22 PM »
I don't have the Genos but the first row of buttons it is so widely spread with no reason.
Except for the "better don't leave an empty space which might look ugly" reason.
Style part,regs,OTS,Multi pads I believe too that is good to be as close as possible to the centre for easier, instant access while playing.
Who is that who is  playing on the "extra" octaves all the time more than he plays on the "usual" octaves,that would make the current setting more comfortable,really?
I wonder  ???

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 06:09:53 AM »
I’m really happy with mine too. I thought it had a slightly crazy style layout with country , rock pop all under the same button. Hadn’t noticed the icon to  the left of the style, that told you you it was a pop, rock or country style.
Almost matches the Genos style categories. Wish I’d spotted it sooner. Haha
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Pino

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 07:07:01 AM »
Rikki
I make a new folder ‘MY Styles’ and a folder ‘My Edit Styles’

If I like a style I copy it to ‘My Styles" folder, for a trial run,
Saves going through the whole style section again.

If it works well with a song then I edit it, OTS etc, and save to ‘My Edit Style’

If I’m happy with the end result then I rename it to a song name and
copy to another folder ‘My Song Styles’

I’m sure you know all of this being a ‘style creator & editor’ over the years.

Pino

The following users thanked this post: Aquilauno

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 07:39:04 AM »
Hi Pino,
I always did something similar in my PA4x. The ones I was editing I put in user styles slots. The ones I finished editing , I put in Favourites slots. Even though on the korg you could actually overwrite a factory style, I never did.

I too like the idea of naming the style with a song name. At least it’s all set up for that particular song.

Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

blackpool

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 11:43:24 AM »
The favourite button is VERY useful to highlight the styles you use most/like - give that a try if you have not spotted it - ( Long press on individual style choice and it will light yellow on side )

If you down load all the music finder files from  PSR tutorial you will have over 7000 ready made song titles each with its own reg bank savedand NAMED ready to button one with OTS  you can then simply edit and re save to the whole bank what you like ( They are just in 3 files A to Z and takes about 10 mins to load/covert each )....A REAL no brainer for making this board 'plug and play' 

It is called 'creating a playlist from MF'  but folk dont realise it automatically creates a ready made reg. bank for each record as well, when it generates a playist,
which BTW i just then delete and save to a new playlist the reg files i like - avoiding playlisting all the deadwood..

i did it on my genos and it works on this SX

keith
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 11:53:39 AM by blackpool »

The following users thanked this post: JohnStarbuck

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 12:09:01 PM »
Hi Keith,
no, I definitely didn’t know about the stuff you mentioned. Have a lot to learn by the sounds of things.
Thank you. Most helpful.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

blackpool

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2019, 12:11:37 PM »
check this out - works just the same as genos for loading .
I am hopeless - can hardly use a PC ...so I am sorry if i am not very technical - stuff has to be easy for me 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nB6ntNgJhM

keith

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2019, 12:38:44 PM »
Thanks Keith,
I’ll check it in the morning, sort of hiding my iPad under the sheets and typing.Dont think hubby will be too happy if I wake him up with a utube clip . Haha.
I better get to sleep. Thanks gain.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 01:36:01 AM »
Thanks Keith,
I’ll check it in the morning, sort of hiding my iPad under the sheets and typing.Dont think hubby will be too happy if I wake him up with a utube clip . Haha.
I better get to sleep. Thanks gain.

Hi Keith,
thank you. Found the clip helpful, I’ll give it a try after I update o.s. Still haven’t tried that yet.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Pino

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 03:17:00 AM »
Thanks Keith for the ‘tips’
Very helpful
Are the Music Finder Databases from the PSR site, Keyboard Specific?
I hope to play around with the ‘music finder/playlist later today.
It’s very different
This is probably a stupid question
How do you go from songs A to B to C ?
Seems to be going from page to page or top to end

Before we had a ‘repertoire ’ button on each style,
panel settings matching the selected Style was shown in the display.
That was handy, is that gone.

My mission today
To understand everything about the new ‘MF & PlayList’

Pino
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 03:46:27 AM by Pino »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2019, 04:45:26 AM »
How do you go from songs A to B to C ?
Seems to be going from page to page or top to end

You just manually select the next song. The arrows are for paging or going to the end/beginning of the list.

Cheers,
Frec
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

blackpool

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2019, 09:03:47 AM »
Yes Pino - Its a no brainer of a feature. I just deleted the new playlists created though, and worked from the folders of new regis it creates from the MF records.
Yes, the new regis will appear after loading all in a single alphabetical list ( pages and pages of em! )  each MF set converted creates a single folder.
I used the Tyros ones as this has 3 upper voices ( unlike PSR models )  so i thought, well any MF records ( tunes )  with maybe 3 voices pre-selected are then going to be better than 2 - well, that was my thinking.

You will find 3 files on the tutorial containing tune records - A to H  I to R and S to Z  in total containing 6721 files which become individual banks when converted. The UK Tyros 5 file is also available ( well it was ) and this has around 2500 in it

If you can find any more 'decent' MF sets do let us know as I do find them great - It is so easy with a new bank simply created for each record ( tune )  you can easily just re save along the bank and no need to even re-name it it is all done for you.

I just created some new folder(s ) and copied the new regi. banks from the MF conversions that i like, to these. ....job done!

Ian wanted confirmation in my other post ( creating a fav. pen )  that you can in fact save user styles to Favs. Will you try it? it does work me - and let us know

Regards Keith 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 11:16:13 AM by blackpool »

Offline paulman

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2019, 11:42:52 PM »
blackpool,

Where exactly can I find these three music finder files containing "tune records" (A to H, I to R, and S to Z) on the PSR Tutorial website of which you refer?
I don't see them listed on the MFD file web pages.

Thanks,
Paul

blackpool

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2019, 11:48:22 PM »
The PSR tutorial site was where I got them . Can't remember now if they were a freebie or Joe sells them in the shop on there ....drop him a mail .... I don't want to post in case I am breaking any rules...worth a few$  as support if you end up having to buy... The files I've had off him have been good value and there is also loads for free .
Keith
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 12:11:31 AM by blackpool »

Offline paulman

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2019, 12:21:32 AM »
blackpool,

Who is "Joe" and what is his email address?

Thanks,
Paul

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2019, 03:54:56 AM »
Who is "Joe" and what is his email address?

You’ll find things a lot quicker if you do even a minimum of investigation be yourself.

The main page of the site www.psrtutorial.com will tell you all you need to know.  Hint: look at the bottom of the page.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline paulman

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2019, 05:32:06 AM »
Thanks, Fred.
From blackpool's descriptions of the files, I assumed that I would find them in the MFD pages of the website, but after searching for several minutes, I couldn't find them.  Also, I assume that there is more than one forum member named Joe, so it was not obvious to me that he was referring to Joe waters, the website administrator.  I would not have thought about looking at the Orders webpage unless someone had mentioned that these files were only available for purchase.  Thanks for being the one forum member that was willing to help another member who is not as familiar with this website.  I don't think I'm the only member that was confused by blackpool's description of these music finder files.

Best Regards,
Paul

blackpool

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2019, 08:24:28 AM »
Sorry Paul . It wasn't my intention to confuse you .
I do try and help if I can.. I always think of this forum and tutorial as the same thing .
Apps. Keith in

blackpool

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2019, 08:26:16 AM »
Sorry Paul . It wasn't my intention to confuse you .
I do try and help if I can.. I always think of this forum and tutorial as the same thing .
Apps. Keith.