Author Topic: Part Select  (Read 22208 times)

Offline Arnak

Part Select
« on: October 10, 2019, 11:58:30 PM »
Hi,

Does the part select do anything more than what happens when you select a voice from the main screen for R1-R3 and left?

Unless I misunderstand its function it appears to be redundant or am I missing something? ???

Thanks,

Martin

Offline EileenL

Re: Part Select
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 12:36:10 AM »
Well if you have three different voices selected you use them to turn on and off thus changing the mix whilst playing to give a variety.

Offline Arnak

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 12:47:29 AM »
Hi Eileen,

Thanks for the reply. ;D

Doesn't that do the same as when you turn on/off a voice in the part on/off selection below the part select buttons?

Martin

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 08:42:17 AM »
Martin. The Part Select enables you to change to a different voice.
The Part ON/OFF enables you to play 1.2.or 3. Voice.
DGX670

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 09:45:29 AM »
On Tyros I used Part Select:
1. To select a panel voice part I wanted Voice Set to work on, so I wasn't editing say R3 when I thought I was working on R1. It does not turn voices on or off, just puts the focus on them or takes you to where they are stored (at least it does the latter on Genos, I cannot remember if Tyros used to do this) .
On Genos it seems quicker to push the appropriate voice on/ off button once or twice to get the focus for editing. .

2. Direct Access followed by PS is a quick way to get to selectively turn off or on, Voice Set (Voice Set freeze) in the menu.

John
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 09:55:28 AM by jwyvern »

Offline Arnak

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 11:58:33 AM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for the replies. ;D

That clarifies it for me, now I understand what it is for.

Martin

Offline panos

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 04:14:33 PM »
Hi Arnak,
just a quick way to select voices.
Let's say you want to edit the voices for a registration or the OTS.
You pres part select R1 voice then voice set and edit the voice.
Without having to go to the Main (initial/starting) screen, you just press part select righ 2 and you edit the second voice,without having to pressi "voice set" again.
Then the left voice.
And you keep moving between the voices this way until you find the right combination of effects  for all voices.
At least that is how my psr works.
Only by mistake i will press the "F-G-H" buttons to select a voice  ;D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 04:35:38 PM by panos »

Offline Arnak

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 05:45:22 PM »
Hi Panos,

Thanks for clarifying that. ;D

Martin

Offline andyg

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2019, 10:09:21 AM »
In general playing, the Part Select buttons are redundant, as it's more logical and intuitive to simply press the buttons next to the voices on screen - exactly the same result and, of course, the Part Select button indicators change with the on screen selections. IIRC, they're more of a 'leftover' from the days when we didn't have big screens.

They do have their uses, as has been demonstrated above, but for most players, they can be safely ignored.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com