Author Topic: Has anyone tried using Tyros USB Wireless LAN adaptor on SX900  (Read 34213 times)

Offline reya

Has anyone tried using Tyros USB Wireless LAN adaptor on SX900
« on: October 10, 2019, 04:23:52 PM »
Hi all,

I like to have my keyboards keep track of date/time, so that file modifications have their time stamp.

As I understand from the manual, the only way the SX700/900 is able to tell time, is by connecting it to the web by using a USB Wireless LAN adaptor, which is not supplied.

Has anyone tried to use the 'old' USB Wireless LAN adaptor that was supplied with Tyros at the time ?

Thx
Rudy
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets

Offline reya

Re: Has anyone tried using Tyros USB Wireless LAN adaptor on SX900
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 12:14:35 PM »
Well, since my last message, I have received my SX900, and in case anyone is interested, I can now confirm that the WIFI adaptor that came with Tyros 5 works fine with SX900

Best regards
Rudy

The following users thanked this post: Aquilauno

blackpool

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 01:21:27 PM »
Glad I kept mine from my Tyros, I will dig it out and have a go - might be useful, well when i get the SX back from repair!

Thanks for the tip Reya - I NEVER considered it for that purpose ..... sometimes you do pick up some 'gems' on these forums!

Thanks - Keith
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 01:24:16 PM by blackpool »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 02:14:43 PM »
Yes,
  I did try mine and it worked OK.

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 09:00:05 PM »
Can someone tell me what I exactly can do with this adapter?

Unfortunately, the Yamaha website does not contain much detailed information about the possible use cases. Can I use it only to transfer files from/to the keyboard or can I use it to send audio and MIDI signals to/from my computer? Many thanks in advance!

Offline reya

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 12:02:15 PM »
Can someone tell me what I exactly can do with this adapter?

I use it to make the keyboard time aware and to transfer expansion packs from YEM on the PC to the keyboard.

There may be other uses, but I do not know of any.

Kind regards
Rudy

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 11:48:03 AM »
Thank you.

I'm on Mac. Yamaha Musicsoft Downloader is Windows only. So, YEM is really the only tool I can use to transfer content from/to the PSR-SX via the WiFi dongle? Or is there any way to mount the PSR-SX as "external drive" on my Mac?

At the moment I'm trying out a lot with software and it's very cumbersome to exchange the files via USB stick. A USB connection is no solution because the keyboard is not in the near of my Mac.

saxxman

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 03:35:09 PM »
Can someone please confirm that you are unable to set the time and date on the SX keyboards without purchasing the Wireless LAN adaptor?  Hard to believe with today's technology that they'd revert to that as the sole method of setting the time. The manuals suggest there is a "Menu>Time" button somewhere in the menus (which there is not).  If Yamaha is listening, I sincerely hope that you all will fix this issue. The MSRP for the WLA is $120? To set the time? Really? Why not Bluetooth?

Thanks for any insight you all can lend on this subject. Am I missing something in the manual? I saw a reference to "Infrustructure Mode" but could not locate that anywhere in setting either. You'd think a Time/Date set option would be under "Utility"..

Thanks again!
Randy

Offline Joe H

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2019, 08:07:56 PM »
Clocks require a battery.  I don't think Yamaha want to add a battery that needs to be changed from time to time... that would require openning the arranger to do so.  On second thought, they could make the battery accessible via a small removable cover I would think.

???

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 08:28:17 PM »
📝
The time settings are described in the SX7/900 Reference Manual page 128. 
Cheers 🥂
GJ

saxxman

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2019, 08:31:27 PM »
Thanks Joe and GJ!   From what I have read, it appears that the dongle (Wireless Network) may be required under the current implementation to get the time and date. However, maybe Yamaha will implement the time over Bluetooth?  My keyboard is connecting  to my computer now when I power the keyboard on... maybe they could pull the time and date from Bluetooth and use that to stamp the files saved and recordings made with the date/time. I sent Yamaha a note - maybe a firmware upgrade could make this possible? Thanks for your answer and enjoy this great board!

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2019, 08:36:21 PM »
From what I have read, it appears that the dongle (Wireless Network) may be required under the current implementation to get the time and date....

Take a peek into the menu and see if it's possible to choose option manually set. About the dongle, it say if you're connected wireless, the time will be automatic adjusted etc...... and if connected it will automaticly show the current time at your screen. 🕑
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline paulman

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2019, 10:18:10 PM »
The "TIME" button in the Menu 2 screen will only be visible if the WiFi dongle is connected to the PSR-SX900.  If there is no dongle connected, then that button position in the Menu 2 screen will be vacant.

There is no option to manually set the time either - the current date and time are read from the WiFi network and automatically set by the instrument.  There is also no option to display the time in 12 hour format, only the 24 hour military format.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2019, 11:35:24 PM »
Nevertheless, this PSR is the first to have time, even if you need a dongle! The previous models were completely timeless :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

saxxman

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2019, 01:45:16 AM »
Thanks Toril, Paulman and GJ!  Didn't realize that the others did not have date/time....guess what threw me was looking at the recordings and seeing the date all set to the same date. Not a big deal at this point. Just need to get my naming convention standardized (or get the wireless dongle). ;) Thanks to all for the assist!

Offline reya

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2019, 08:46:57 AM »
Nevertheless, this PSR is the first to have time, even if you need a dongle! The previous models were completely timeless :)
Hi Toril,

When I had my PSR S770 and connected the Tyros Wifi Dongle to it, it also was able to tell time !

Tyros and previous PSR models used a different protocol to get time though than Genos and current PSR SX models do.
A protocol that apparently got blocked by some routers for one reason or another.
A friend of mine never got time displayed on her Tyros with dongle connected, but now has it on her Genos. I never had problems in getting the time on both Tyros and PSR S770, as long as the dongle was connected.

Best regards
Rudy
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 01:01:38 PM by reya »

The following users thanked this post: Toril S

Offline reya

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2019, 08:51:03 AM »
Clocks require a battery.  I don't think Yamaha want to add a battery that needs to be changed from time to time... that would require openning the arranger to do so.  On second thought, they could make the battery accessible via a small removable cover I would think.

If I remember correctly Genos has some sort of capacitor based battery that will remember time for about a week without internet connection.
Dsiadvantage : It does require Genos to be booted up at least once a week though to (re)charge the capacitor.
Avantage : No need to ever replace a battery...

Best regards
Rudy

Offline Toril S

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2019, 03:59:11 PM »
Thanks Rudy! In that case it will work on my S975 as well! Great! But must it be the specific Yamaha dongle, or can we use any other brand?
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline reya

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2019, 04:26:36 PM »
Thanks Rudy! In that case it will work on my S975 as well! Great! But must it be the specific Yamaha dongle, or can we use any other brand?

I have only used the Yamaha dongle. So I cannot comment about other brands.
The yamaha can be found second hand on the net though.

Best regards
Rudy

Offline Toril S

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2019, 05:34:40 PM »
Thanks again Rudy😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

saxxman

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2019, 12:36:21 AM »
Thanks Rudy, Toril and all for the advice! Not in a hurry to acquire the dongle but will keep my eyes/ears open. Have a wonderful holiday season!