Author Topic: Problem Playing Some Audio Files On Genos  (Read 15803 times)

Reg

Problem Playing Some Audio Files On Genos
« on: October 10, 2019, 03:12:34 PM »
   Most audio files I use whether music or effects files play on my Genos.  On occasion I find  a wav  that  brings up an error message "cannot load file".
Undoubtedly some kind of format problem.  I have loaded these files in Audacity and converted them to 16bit  44.1hz.  They still come up as unplayable.  On my computer
there is no issue, just on the genos.  Attached is a sample file.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline tyrosaurus

Re: Problem Playing Some Audio Files On Genos
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 03:59:27 PM »
The problem with the file attached to your post is the sample rate!

I assume that you think that it is currently 44100 Hz, as required by Yamaha arrangers for .wav files.

However its sample rate is actually 11025 Hz, hence the error message when you try to load it into the keyboard.

When correctly converted to 44100 Hz, it loads and plays on Genos.

Regards

Ian

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Reg

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 08:02:06 PM »
     Thank you Ian .   I converted the file in Audacity.  16bit and 44.1  verified on the computer.  Attached here again and the file plays but is unrecognizable on the computer and  data not supported on the genos.  Reg

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 09:45:30 PM »
Reg, could it be that you need a plug in program for converting the file in Audacity, as we need Lame to convert to MP3?
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 10:33:35 PM »
The WAV needs to be 44100Hz, 16-bit, stereo.

Yamaha's player is very picky. I usually forget the stereo requirement.

Hope this helps -- pj

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 10:35:11 PM »
Hi

Format Factory It's free  converts video as well as audio                      https://ccm.net/download/download-3532-format-factory

All the best
John

Just convert to 44100Hz an you cannot go wrong.
Wave files are best Quality which Genos will play, no problems.
Mp3s are yesterday!!!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 10:52:58 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 10:40:15 PM »
Hi Reg,

Your original attachment (Rodney Scottish (1).wav) would not load into my Genos.

I checked the file properties in Windows File Explorer and it revealed the problem straight away.

The Bit Rate reported on the Properties 'Detail' tab in Explorer is just 325 kbps, whereas the correct bit rate for a stereo 16 bit PCM .wav file sampled at 44.1 kHz (as required by Yamaha) is 1411 kbps!

I converted your original attachment to the correct 44.1 kHz sample rate using two different programs -  Audacity and NCH Switch Sound File Converter.   Both converted files then loaded and played on my Genos.  The size of the correctly formatted file should be around 555 KB rather than the 139 KB of the original attachment.

Your latest attachment (Rodney Scottish 2.wav) also won't load into Genos. It plays in Windows Media Player and Audacity at 4 times the correct speed (it lasts for just 0.8 seconds instead of the 3.2 seconds that it should)!  This is why you say it is 'unrecognisable' when played on your computer. Windows Media Player will still play the file because unlike Genos (and other Yamaha arrangers), it can work with .wav files of different sample rates.  This also happens if you import it into Audacity!

As I have tried to tell you, the problem is the sample rate! I suspect that you are not correctly converting the file in Audacity.

You can choose not to believe me if you like, but until you correctly convert the original file to the correct sample rate, you won't get it to load into Genos.

Note that your second attachment appears to have been somewhat 'messed up', possibly by repeated attempts to 'convert' the sample rate.  Its size is just 35 KB instead of 555 KB!  I wouldn't waste time trying to further convert this, but you should be able to successfully convert the original attachment in Audacity.

I notice that the quality of the 'Rodney Scottish (1).wav' sample is not very good, so unless you wanted to use it and other similar samples as Audio Link Multi Pads, I suggest that you are probably as well converting them to low bit rate (128 kbps) MP3 files, which will be much smaller.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 10:44:08 PM by tyrosaurus »

Reg

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 02:10:29 AM »
  Toril,PJ, John and Ian:   I would like to make it clear I WAS aware that the bit rate and sample rate had to 16bit and 44.1hz. even prior to my  posting.    The issue was getting the right process to make the conversion.  I was unable to do this in Audacity  as the completed file
was unacceptable.  I tried Format Factory using another file but was unable to find the options to set the proper rates for the file.   Then tried NCH and made the conversion sucessfully of a file that previously would not open on my genos.
Thank you. Reg

Offline dillyboy

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 07:44:44 AM »
Reg

I feel your pain.... this used to happen me on my Tyros 4 all the time! I would have an MP3 with all the correct settings YES all correct! and the T4 would refuse to play it, I cannot read music and used mp3's to learn songs, it was a nightmare, however, so far fingers crossed the Genos seems to not be just as picky (I had a problem with one file but it was down to the filename being too long).

there are a couple of online conversion programs available too, just type in something like 'convert wav to mp3'

Hope you get sorted.

Thanks

Nigel
It's nice to be nice.....

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 08:40:16 AM »
Hi
Format Factory is great .
Just drag a file onto the main area and your options automatically comes up and you can choose whatever you like . You can choose KHz and quality of conversion
Very simple and straightforward program.
I can convert wave to flac and also convert  MKV video to Mp4.
I ditched Mp3's a couple of years ago.

All the Best
John
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline dupakos

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2023, 10:14:02 PM »
Cannot find format factory to download
All related sites seem to be viruses
any help please ?

Offline overover

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2023, 01:29:05 PM »
Cannot find Format Factory to download
All related sites seem to be viruses
any help please ?

Hi dupakos,

This is Format Factory's official website:
>>> http://www.pcfreetime.com/?language=en

Attention: The following warning appears on chip.de (website of the German computer magazine CHIP):

We can no longer recommend "Format Factory" because the program comes with a lot of unnecessary additional and advertising software. If you want to install the software at your own risk, download it from the official website.

Instead, CHIP recommends the following alternatives:
   - MediaCoder
   - Media Converter
   - Icecream Media Converter

I recommend downloading the latest version of the audio editor "Audacity". This allows you to load/import files in many audio formats, edit them if necessary and then save/export them as MP3 or WAV, for example. For use with Yamaha keyboards I recommend the settings "Fixed bitrate 192 kbit/s, stereo" for MP3 and "16-bit, 44.1 kHz, stereo" for WAV.
>>> https://www.audacityteam.org/

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 01:51:27 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: dupakos

keynote

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2023, 05:32:03 PM »
I have also had trouble converting audio files on Audacity to play on my Genos. I figure it's a bug in Audacity or perhaps a special conversion technique that is out of the ordinary. Instead, I usually convert any and all audio files to be imported into my Genos using either Wave Shop or Wavosaur, but mostly Wave Shop. Both are free programs and Wavosaur was recently updated to a new version just a few days ago. I provided the links below. They are very straightforward programs with many valuable features and functions for playing, editing, and converting audio files. Wave Shop hasn't been updated since Nov. 2013, but the latest version still works fine on my Windows 10 Pro OS.

https://www.wavosaur.com

https://waveshop.sourceforge.net

All the best, Mike

The following users thanked this post: dupakos