Author Topic: Swell pedal settings  (Read 1538 times)

Offline Dupe

Swell pedal settings
« on: November 21, 2022, 04:38:43 PM »
Hi everyone, is there a way of assigning the swell pedal on my SX700, in memory, without going through all my individual styles, etc?

Online overover

Re: Swell pedal settings
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 05:39:20 PM »
Hi Dupe,

With PSR-SX models, PSR-A5000 and Genos, the Foot Pedal settings are saved in the System Setup when the Assignable display is closed (via the Exit button or X symbol), so that the current settings are available again after a restart. But: By loading registrations that contain different settings, these pedal settings can be changed again (possibly unintentionally) at any time.

The pedal settings can therefore only be safely saved using Registrations.

Many users work with one or more so-called "Setup Registrations" to put the keyboard in a defined state (loaded directly after powering on or later if necessary). Of course, it is important that the "Pedal" checkbox is checked when memorizing such registrations.

If you always play with the same pedal settings, it would be best if NO pedal settings are memorized in your other / existing registrations. To avoid that the current pedal settings are changed by registrations, you can use the FREEZE function:

- Press "Direct Access > Freeze" to bring up the Freeze settings. Make sure that only the "Pedal" checkbox is checked here.
- Close the Freeze settings with Exit button or X symbol to save the settings.
- If necessary, now make the desired pedal settings (e.g. with a Setup Registration and THEN switch the Freeze button ON (LED lights up).

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: MadrasGiaguari, Dupe

Offline Dupe

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 07:57:45 PM »
Hi Dupe,

With PSR-SX models, PSR-A5000 and Genos, the Foot Pedal settings are saved in the System Setup when the Assignable display is closed (via the Exit button or X symbol), so that the current settings are available again after a restart. But: By loading registrations that contain different settings, these pedal settings can be changed again (possibly unintentionally) at any time.

The pedal settings can therefore only be safely saved using Registrations.

Many users work with one or more so-called "Setup Registrations" to put the keyboard in a defined state (loaded directly after powering on or later if necessary). Of course, it is important that the "Pedal" checkbox is checked when memorizing such registrations.

If you always play with the same pedal settings, it would be best if NO pedal settings are memorized in your other / existing registrations. To avoid that the current pedal settings are changed by registrations, you can use the FREEZE function:

- Press "Direct Access > Freeze" to bring up the Freeze settings. Make sure that only the "Pedal" checkbox is checked here.
- Close the Freeze settings with Exit button or X symbol to save the settings.
- If necessary, now make the desired pedal settings (e.g. with a Setup Registration and THEN switch the Freeze button ON (LED lights up).

Best regards,
Chris
Thanks Chris, I will give it a try. I made my own sustain pedal a while back and assigned it in settings, set up the correct phase, and it worked fine whenever I needed to use it. The swell pedal works fine when initially set, but going through all my registrations individually prompted me for guidance. I'm still learning, thanks for your prompt reply.

Regards Dupe

Offline Dupe

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2022, 01:16:33 PM »
@overover, just to say I tried out your suggestion regarding my swell pedal settings. Took me a while to set up, but all works ok, I missed setting one reg and had a shock when the pedal had not been set up, and the manual volume control was at max!
Thanks again Chris

Best regards Dupe

Online overover

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2022, 03:54:43 PM »
@overover, just to say I tried out your suggestion regarding my swell pedal settings. Took me a while to set up, but all works ok, I missed setting one reg and had a shock when the pedal had not been set up, and the manual volume control was at max!
Thanks again Chris

Best regards Dupe

Thanks for your detailed feedback, Dupe!

Gad it's working for you now. :)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline Dupe

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2022, 07:22:20 PM »
 I have my swell pedal set up now but have a query. Once the pedal has been configured, is it normal for the keyboard's volume control to remain active? To use the pedal I have to turn the volume up fully, which is fine, except when I come to play one of my old registrations by mistake, I nearly shot off my seat as the keyboards volume control was at maximum, and of course, the pedal had not been configured for this particular registration.  Have I missed doing something or is it normal?
 I've amended my post to welcome other members' comments, not wanting to restrict my post.

Regards Dupe
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 08:51:47 PM by Dupe »

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2022, 11:29:35 PM »
Dupe
Something doesn’t seem right. When you set the volume full up should be silent, full down should be full volume BUT by full volume I mean the volume you set on the keyboard. Not the max. volume possible.
So press the pedal full down, then set the volume control at the most you ever want, want, say for example 70% and it should be fine.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: Dupe

Offline Dupe

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2022, 09:01:37 PM »
Hi Mike, thanks for your reply. I've just purchased this Yamaha FC7 swell pedal, so have had to configure all my registrations to use it, which takes time. Once the swell pedal is configured to use on one of the rear jack sockets, I can't understand why the keyboard volume control is not switched out automatically, and the swell pedal then works with all memorised registrations, prior to installing the swell pedal.
Is it just me?
Kind Regards Dupe

Offline mikf

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2022, 12:20:50 AM »
Dupe
You may be missing my point. You say to use the pedal you have to turn the volume control to full. That should not be the case.
Set your volume control to say 60%, with no expression pedal and play the keyboard.  Then engage the expression pedal and press  pedal full down. Volume should be the same. If you are having to turn volume control full to get same volume something is wrong. You should never need to have volume control full up. If you are getting volume reduction when using the pedal that is not normal.
Mike

Online overover

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2022, 10:35:57 AM »
Hi Dupe,

An Expression Pedal like the Yamaha FC7 can control many different functions. When used for VOLUME, the operation is as follows:

1. The pedal only affects the parts that are activated in the Pedal Settings (Assignable display).

2. You can only DECREASE the volume of the affected parts with the pedal. The volume when the pedal is fully depressed is the same as when the pedal was not connected.

I recommend setting the volume pedal so that it only affects the RIGHT parts (if desired also the LEFT part). The accompaniment (style, multi pad, MIDI / audio song) should not be affected by the volume pedal.

As I wrote in my post above, Registrations can change Pedal Settings if they contain DIFFERENT settings. If the "Pedal" checkbox was not ticked when memorizing a registration, this registration will not change the current pedal settings later. However, if a registration contains different pedal settings, i.e. the pedal jack to which the volume pedal is connected is switched to a different function, the volume for the parts controlled by the pedal immediately jumps to full value (as if the volume pedal would be not connected). This is absolutely normal.

The only way to ensure that the current pedal settings are unintentionally changed by registrations is, as already mentioned, to use the FREEZE function.

Best regards,
Chris

Offline Dupe

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2022, 12:27:11 PM »
Thanks for your replies, and the advice offered, enabling me to use my pedal. I have now set everything up following your guidance, both you and Mike have helped me get there.
Kind regards  Dupe