Author Topic: I think I might have to sell my Genos?  (Read 19975 times)

Tankdave

I think I might have to sell my Genos?
« on: October 05, 2019, 02:23:46 PM »
Following right hand surgery "twice" in the last 12 months my hand is still preventing me "learning" to play the keyboard so the Geno is just sitting there under the dust covers.

It's not all bad news because I have picked up bass guitar again. The two fingers on my right hand I need for playing are ok "same two you use for making rude gestures".  I makes sense to get enjoyment out of a hobby I "can" do rather than one I "wish" I could.

I now would like to invest in some decent bass gear so it's makes sense to use the Genos for this.

It's probably obvious that I'm not "fully" decided on this move and I'll need to work out what a mint condition Genos might be worth etc. This V2.0 stuff looks so interesting too.

I have worked out what Bass guitar I would like, so that's a start "and" a lot of money.

Re: I think I might have to sell my Genos?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 12:43:04 AM »
TankDave, so sorry to hear of your compromised playing condition. Piano players are at the mercy of their hands. I do a lot of carpentry and mechanical work. It just takes one slip of the wrench or screwdriver to create negative outcomes.

My advice is to hang onto your Genos unless you really need the money. You can always use it as a recording/backing device with which to practice or perform. The nice thing about the Genos or any arranger lies in the fact you can create sequences with it. Of course, only you can weigh the benefits versus drawbacks. Whatever your decision, please don't make it impulsive or emotionally based :). I have a medical background. My next question is, "Is your current dexterity permanent or can there be some improvement over time?" If improvement is slow but inevitable, then keep the Genos!

Be well, my friend...

- Lee
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 03:08:27 AM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline markstyles

Re: I think I might have to sell my Genos?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 02:37:51 AM »
Hi Tank:

Sorry to hear of your bad news.   I had two strokes about 10 years ago..  Although I made a good recovery,  I never got back the speed and accuracy in my hands. I have used a DAW (Logic Pro for many years).. I started to view the GENOS, as a compositional aid. and Tyros'es before.  I used the DAW to tighten/correct and create parts, my right hand now had difficulty with. I also got much more into arrangement.  With enough practice, I can now write parts directly into DAW piano roll, or Score editor. 

If it were not for the strokes, I would have taken a different path.  As it is,  although the stroke was not a good thing, it was kind of a blessing in disguise for me.

Don't know how versatile you are with computers. but looking back, shifting my attention from live playing to arrangement, production has been much more satisfying.