Author Topic: Sx900 What are you assigning to all the buttons and knobs?  (Read 22670 times)

Offline Dnj

Sx900 What are you assigning to all the buttons and knobs?
« on: October 05, 2019, 01:42:30 PM »
Sx900 What features are you assigning to all the buttons and knobs?
would be interesting to see what players are doing with the assignable knobs & buttons for their playing and why?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 02:36:55 PM by Dnj »

blackpool

Re: Sx900 What are you assigning to all the buttons and knobs?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 03:14:07 PM »
Hi DNJ

Not got a 'plan'' for that yet, but was my next task. On Genos I made a list of buttons handy as a visual reminder.
( wish I had kept it )
I think, if i can use one knob for left / right balance that will be great . I did find that handy on some of the Korgs I have used. I really intend keeping the other 'as is' for reverb.
re buttons -
I liked to one for rotary speed, one for registration page view and will just have to consider others.....any ideas ?
Thing is, the manual controls are just so handy in dead centre ( unlike Genos ) it's not a problem.

Will be interesting to see what others say - I must check out all the options and post back 

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 05:50:10 PM »
For the six assignable slots I always set up things I use a lot when setting up things as this saves a lot of time searching the menu. All of us will have different idea's on what these will be. The two assignable Knobs are great for altering settings in style and right hand voices quickly whilst playing.

blackpool

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 06:20:49 PM »
Just remembered I should have posted this answer here  -

Using 2 of the assignables for transpose +/- as they are so handy as being so close.

Gem I noticed - like the 'regular' transpose buttons they seem to work as re-set when pressed together,( just like main transpose function buttons on board)...Now that's a bonus!! same thing seems to happen with octave. which are 2 more i will be using, as the main octave controls are right over on the right and not as conv.

btw... the other 2 using as 'fill up' and 'rotary' with  2 knobs for balance and revb.

I know everybody has their own 'ideas' but just replying to the main Q. in the thread topic.

Keith

Offline jaebea

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 03:46:35 AM »
Got mine last weekend (Nov 16).  Used it live on Sunday.  Started off assigning Vocal Harmony on/off on #1 and fade out on #2.  It took me a while to find the fade out function since Yamaha removed the fade out button.

Offline larrygreen1

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 01:46:43 PM »
I find it very annoying that you can't fix settings to the Live Control knobs.Every time you turn off & on again it resets to Volume on one & Balance on the other!!! I don't want to keep having to memorize each individual registration!!!.

Offline Robert van Weersch

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 01:58:31 PM »
I guess Yamaha envisioned them to be used during performances, hence the name "Live" Control Knobs and in that perspective, storing their setting in registrations makes sense. My T5 only has 1 assignabe "knob" (slider, actually) and it works in exactly the same way, it even defaults to "volume" when the machine boots.
Not just these sliders, but also the pitch wheel, MOD wheel, switches, pedals etc. store their settings in registrations, but that can be overruled by freezing them when storing the registration. On my T5, the Assignable Slider can be frozen.

Regarding the memorizing: I make notes on the top of the song sheets regarding the settings of pedals, switches, MOD wheel etc. used in the registrations, so I don't really need to memorize them, but after playing each song often enough, my memory kicks in ;)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 02:00:39 PM by Robert van Weersch »
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)