Author Topic: adjustments to factory settings  (Read 65573 times)

blackpool

adjustments to factory settings
« on: October 05, 2019, 12:03:55 PM »
Hi - I am highly delighted with the SX900
Loving the key action and ease of use, ( as i am an X PSR/Genos owner ) and it's just so compact, I have been waiting for a 61 with some Genos features and glad it is now available!

Now, I know this is very much an 'individual' thing, depends on situ. and personal choice, but -
'Out of the box' - are there any basic adjustments I should /could make to make it even better?
All I have bothered with up to now is reverb and balance, but if anybody has any ideas and reccom. then I would be glad to hear. Maybe this question is a bit 'How long is a piece of string?' but ANY advice would be very welcome, to get the best possible as i'm hardly switched on with tech.

Regards - Keith

Pino

Re: adjustments to factory settings
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 12:44:47 PM »
Keith
There are EQ and reverb Settings you can save all along the way
But the main one that should make a difference is the master EQ
Press the ‘mixer’ button
Go to the ‘master’ Tab on the top
Run a style and go through the settings Yamaha provides here
Press on  the box, you can fine tune here and save your personal setting
There are 30 slots for saving different settings

Pino

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 01:14:33 PM »
Yamaha and other keyboard brands tend to provide out of the box basic flat-iss setting which gives the user a standard from which to adjust ones preferences.
Any Yamaha Demonstrator has already done a BEST AS Sound setting for his demonstration but no one gives information of these adjustments.

I think they should take the TV Approach which enable you to set your TV as per SHOP Display Setting and then reduce from there.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 01:18:01 PM by Graham UK »
DGX670

blackpool

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 02:08:17 PM »
Thanks very much guys

I have a note of my genos EQ settings which I remember I had adjusted slightly, so will maybe try that as a 'comparison'
Although i am delighted with how it sounds - i might as well compare what is available.

I use through my Logitech home entertainment systems ( a great combi of Z906 + Z623 together ) which I have found really VERY good for all my keyboards.

Keith

Offline panos

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 02:33:45 PM »
Graham,
I've just watched the first part of "Making of Steppin' Out" from our member Matkusthegeek on the Genos section.
2 hours just to "pick" and apply some effects to some voices for his cover song.
I don't think there is a "manual" of how to make a voice to sound good.
We just mess around with the voices and the effects until we get what we want.
Sometimes we are lucky and takes just several minutes and sometimes we can't find the sound we are looking for.
For every song we start over the same process again.
If someone tells you that there are only few "magic rules" that you can follow that will make your sound great and never have to scratch your head with sounds again,
believe him the same way as if I told you that there are you some magic rules to follow in order to compose great music.
There are of course some basic principles that help.

I totally agree with Pino's suggestion in what is the first thing to do with a new keyboard.
We try some different EQ settings that in general the keyboard sound better to our ears than the preset flat settings.
Although there is nothing wrong with the flat settings we might find an EQ that suits better to  the room(of the house) we are, the volumes we are usually playing(e.g low volumes requaire low bass volume) and the headphones we might use.
Levelling up a bit the EQ high or the EQ low isn't that bad.
It is good to remember though that high frequencies damage the ear.
So better not over do it with them because over the years we will feel the need to increase them more and more in order the sound doesn't sound "dull" to us, while actually it is not that dull.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 04:00:47 PM by panos »

Pino

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 03:42:26 PM »
There is a "voice editor" in the 900 menu but I couldn’t  increase the delay on the vibrato on the violins
I’m finding the two knobs on the dash working out really good.

One controls the filter and one controls the reverb
Now I’m using much more reverb on the lead instrument eg Sax and it’s sounding really good.
That’s a Sax lead on top of a Sax Section linked to Harmony (4way Close1)

The reverb is on about 82, I’m working on headphones at the moment so that would be too much reverb through the PA but sounding really good and so easy to adjust if it needs trimming back, I’ve always used reverb but not this much or it could be the new ‘real’ reverb in this keyboard is sounding better, something sounds better, I play the 910,950 &975 on a regular bases but this sounds better.

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

StuCos

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2019, 04:24:52 PM »
Hi Keith,

I haven't got the SX900 yet, but would be interested on your feedback when carrying out the following actions:-

1. Press Mixer/Eq
2. Tab to Master
3. Select Eq
4. Change from Flat to Powerful.
5. Leave Frequency but change Gain to 7 5 3 5 4 4 5 6

If you like what you hear, you can then save this adjusted EQ as a User.

This is the setting which I am currently using on my S970.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards

Stuart

blackpool

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2019, 05:46:39 PM »
Hi Stuart, Sounds good to me.....Thanks . I just had to lower the Bass down a little on external system.
Another option....thanks so much for letting me have your settings.

What i have noticed is, it seems to sound a deal better with the on-board volume dial control high ( at around 80& ) with internal speakers muted and my external PA at about 40% I dont have an external mixer per-say, simply the external treble, bass and master volume.

I have my little Korg connected from its headphone jack to Aux. 'in' on the SX and this also balances well at this level.
For overall volume of the system i then use a foot control which seems to be ok.

Thanks 

Keith
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 05:53:49 PM by blackpool »

The following users thanked this post: daleSP

StuCos

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2019, 09:31:58 PM »
Hi Keith,

Thanks for the feedback.

Can I please ask your opinion on a similar thing which is the Master Compressor.

On the S970 I currently have the Master Compressor on and set to Standard. On the SX 900, this option is not available, so I would like to know which option  you are currently using or do you change it depending on what you are playing?

I would appreciate your feedback on this.

Many thanks

Stuart

blackpool

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2019, 10:06:53 PM »
Hi Stuart - it is on' natural' but have also tried 'rich'
this to me just seems to sort of offer more reverb effect, well on this setting... IMHO

My friend never seems to have his on. I really dont know enough about it and am a bit in the dark about it all, as I am not in the least into sound editing. I really need to read up about it.
He sent me screen shots to try out various settings which were supplied with some of the commercial registrations he has for Genos,

i will keep you posted on what i settle on for 'regular'use. I stuck with one setting on my other keyboards but might well make use of the various user settings for different moods/styles, which I never really considered before in honesty - it was just with you and PINO saying save it to user! so thanks both for that....

Sorry i am not very techy and a bit slow ...its that age thing ..... I was gigging 50 years back with ''clockwork' kit ....lol

Keith   
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 10:08:52 PM by blackpool »

StuCos

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2019, 10:21:00 PM »
Hi Keith,

Thanks once again for the feedback.

Looking at the Reference Manual, I think that with the SX 900, Yamaha have created their Master Compressor choices based on the type of music you are playing rather than having the user leave it on one setting for playing all types of music.

Regards

Stuart