Author Topic: Super Articulation voices  (Read 94779 times)

Offline larrygreen1

Super Articulation voices
« on: September 26, 2019, 06:25:24 PM »
I am not sure if I am doing something wrong but I have been trying to get the super articulation voices (mainly saxophone sounds)to work properly having assigned super articulation to the Rotary sp/Assignable button but all I get when pressing this before playing a note is the breath noise.Is this all I should get?I am really disappointed that there is no SA Jazz Tenor on this keyboard.

Online EileenL

Re: Super Articulation voices
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 06:38:09 PM »
Yes that's  the sound you get with SA1 voices. As you know there is no after touch or SA2 voices on the smaller keyboards. You have to go for Genos if you want these.

Offline larrygreen1

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 06:41:11 PM »
Thanks again for your reply Eileen.

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 07:23:18 PM »
I'm afraid no SA2 voices is a deal breaker for me.  I'll stick with my Tyros 4.

The following users thanked this post: remy57

Offline larrygreen1

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 08:57:33 PM »
I would advise if you can to keep your T4 or T5 when you get the SX900 to compare them.I have only had mine for a day so only tested the surface so far but feel it is a big difference after being so used to the Tyros.I think it will be a lot harder for people with not such good eyesight as in my opinion the menu pages are quite small compared to the tilt screens.I can't really say I have noticed much difference in sounds & styles as yet because most of them have been in the T4 & 5 & other styles that I have already imported from the S range.I have copied everything from my usb from my T5 such as sample sounds,ttt organ sounds & pemo sounds.Apart from one or two everything is in the same place.I haven't bothered putting in the downloaded packs as they are of no use to me.As it stands I have my sx900 set up now just like a smaller version T5.At least it will be easier to carry but not sure yet how stage lighting will be concerning reflection on the screen.It will be a while before I am confident to use it live though. These are only my own personal first impressions & don't wish to put anyone off buying,  it is just quite a different change from the Tyros set up.

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, remy57

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 10:58:54 PM »
Thank you for the 'Heads Up' Larry.  The SA2 Jazz Tenor is one of my main instruments so I know how you feel in this regard.  I had not planned to unload the T4 if I chose to buy the SX900.   However, for now I think I'll wait for some more reviews from new owners.

Cheers

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 08:43:28 AM »
Before the advent of SA2 voices the solo saxes and clarinet in Tyros (which also enhance ensembles) were pretty disappointing IMO. And since there has been a reluctance to add SA2 voices even to the latest psr's I still get to hear some of those  "older" voices coming through when listening to demos.
If someone already owns a later Tyros I can see why they might want to switch (or add) for portability or curiosity, but it is more difficult to see why they would switch for solely "technical reasons".
John
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 08:55:07 AM by jwyvern »

Offline larrygreen1

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 10:34:15 AM »
This imo is a more scaled down version of the T5 in regards voices & styles.The only difference I have noticed so far is the size & the screen.The keybed is much better than the S series definitely.

Offline ton37

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 10:43:44 AM »
It is good to mention this point about SA2!! If SA2 is indispensable for you and you use it: you have to choose that keyboard whatever SA2 has. Otherwise it will continue to irritate you. If you are satisfied with just SA1 then not having SA2 is not an obstacle. just choose the keyboard you like. Just so simple as that, isn't it?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 10:44:48 AM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 11:09:30 AM »
Nobody has mentioned lack of after-touch on a £2000 board, after-touch is important to me.
DGX670

Offline ton37

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 11:19:02 AM »
I could repeat my post above with adding Aftertouch too (and maybe more). And I knew that there is no AT, was mentioned in another post, I guess. Of course it is good to mention why one want to stick what one has. But everyone will make his own choice for what and why and when...😉
My best regards,
Ton

Offline larrygreen1

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 11:33:28 AM »
I think it should have had aftertouch.This isn't a cheap casio keyboard at the end of the day.I had just been waiting for a smaller 61 note keyboard & more lightweight with 3 right hand voices to be produced with a decent keybed.It seems to me is what they have given with one hand they have taken away with the other.No audio drums,no sa2 voices,a power lead from the s models & a small music rest. I realise the Genos is the flagship but I have no need for a 76 note keyboard.I would have rather paid a little more to have had more of what the Genos has but a little more condensed.I will be very interested to hear what other tyros users think when they have the two side by side.I keep thinking "is it me"?.

Offline Enildo

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2019, 11:48:49 AM »
Hello Larry!

Can you answer me a question please?
About VH, when it is activated, can you know on the main screen or can only see if you press a button?
Thanks if you can answer me.

Greetings,
Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline Toril S

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2019, 12:07:28 PM »
It is just how it is. Some features are reserved for the flagship models😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Pino

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2019, 12:17:14 PM »
There will be a Genos 61 soon and that will change everything 😀

Offline DerekA

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2019, 12:47:37 PM »
Some people may have thought the SX was a 61-key Genos.

it is not.

It is an S-series, albeit the best S-series model ever released. The major changes over S975 are the touchscreen, a lot of voices from T5, and layer R3.

Offline ton37

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2019, 01:43:43 PM »
There will be a Genos 61 soon and that will change everything 😀
Then I guess a 61 Genos 2 would change more everthing .... Dream on ;D
My best regards,
Ton

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2019, 01:52:29 PM »
In short, from what has been said, it would seem current PSR owners wanting to upgrade may possibly be better off looking for a good used Tyros 4 or Tyros 5, save some money and have a better sounding instrument.   

Pino

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2019, 03:06:38 PM »
Ton, why “dream on"

What real upgrades can YAMAHA instal on the next upgrade, the SX910
Some may say more voices

Which is the best value for money, buy lots of top quality styles and voices and install them on your present keyboard ($250) or buy an SX910   ($2300+) surely you will not fall for a slightly larger touch screen and silver colour change,

Now we have a middle range keyboard with -touch screen - memory -  better keybed
So, how can YAMAHA improve this format for the next PSR for your normal MOR musician?

GENOS 1 - Many members have requested some additional stuff and improvements for Genos 2
How many here with part with big, big money for these small improvements, Genos is already a big winner, how many will buy a Genos 2?  I think there keyboards have come full circle, excellent voices and excellent styles, touch screen, good keybed, bigger memory,

How many members here play the 8 notes on the bottom end and the 8 notes on the top end of Genos keyboard, I haven’t seen any on ‘you tube’,

How many members here have bought a Genos or Tyros 4/5 and then gone to buy a PSR 61 cos they want to go out gigging with a smaller and lighter keyboard, many, many, many. what a waste of money, if there would have been a Genos 61 then they would have bought one but good sales strategy from Yamaha.

What is Yamaha's business plan for the arranger keyboard for the average musician for the next 5 years, (not EDM players) how much improvements and new innovations can they install on a PSR or a Genos and still keep your average musician interested enough to pay out big money every 3 years,

So, to keep the business turning over, they will launch a Genos 61 within the next year or two.

Not DREAMING 😴

Pino

Offline larrygreen1

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2019, 03:35:18 PM »
I think it will be an advantage for people solely having psr or s series keyboards to upgrade to the sx900 simply for having a better feel to the keybed & the 3rd right hand voice.The Tyros 5 is imo still the better keyboard out of the two for playing.Why they have taken away the audio styles baffles me & to be honest  I prefer the rocker pitch bend wheel. Having said that you can still load in all the styles from other keyboards (except audio)& also sample sounds  from your old keyboard.My sx900 is just sounding now like my T5 without the SA2 voices & Audio styles!!!

Offline ton37

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2019, 03:40:18 PM »
There is nothing wrong with your reasoning, @Pino. The phrase 'Dream on' was adresse to myself  ;), you know. Everyone has a vision or tries to make a prediction. That is quite a fun activity, and why not? To 'dream' through: if the Genos would get the upgrades that everyone hoped for or that a Genos 61 would appear, what would Yamaha than sell in 2020???
My best regards,
Ton

Offline ton37

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2019, 03:45:33 PM »
I think it will be an advantage for people solely having psr or s series keyboards to upgrade to the sx900 simply for having a better feel to the keybed & the 3rd right hand voice.The Tyros 5 is imo still the better keyboard out of the two for playing.Why they have taken away the audio styles baffles me & to be honest  I prefer the rocker pitch bend wheel. Having said that you can still load in all the styles from other keyboards (except audio)& also sample sounds  from your old keyboard.My sx900 is just sounding now like my T5 without the SA2 voices & Audio styles!!!
Right @Larry, but you are in the lucky circumstance that you do have a Tyros5. That's makes it more complex … for you ;) if you have to make a choice. Or just keep both??
My best regards,
Ton

Offline DerekA

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2019, 04:12:15 PM »
In short, from what has been said, it would seem current PSR owners wanting to upgrade may possibly be better off looking for a good used Tyros 4 or Tyros 5, save some money and have a better sounding instrument.

I was speaking with my local dealer recently, and he said he felt this was the first time that there would be real competition in the market between used top-of-the-line (i.e T5) and new midrange (i.e. SX900), which will retail at similar prices. Previously he could have been fairly sure that used TOTL would be the better seller, but now not so sure given that the SX900 shares a lot of its features.
Genos

Pino

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2019, 04:22:04 PM »
Here’s a little song from my S950.
If I played this song on a Genos or an SX900 how much better would it sound,?
I’m sure it would sound a little better.
But, this is my point, do I need to change my keyboard to make music,
I think that what we have from the S910 is perfect for player any style of music.

Song    Autumn Leaves
Keyboard    PSR S950 
Style    Dreamy Ballad
Key      Bb   
Tempo  75

I’ve payed the SX900, it’s a very nice keyboard, but no changes to the most important parts, the Song Creator, Style Creator or sequencer.

Happy playing on whatever you play 🎹
Pino

https://app.box.com/s/vbc5ecvlseh43n2jfxnpda3ee01efo5s

« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 05:21:16 PM by Pino »

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, hans1966

Offline hans1966

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2019, 04:44:11 PM »
Hi Pino, Autumn Leaves, is one of my favorite songs. I congratulate you. Good game, very nice to the ear. Regards. Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Online EileenL

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2019, 04:48:40 PM »
Very nice Pino but I see you have used a sample voice vocal doo. Now in the SX900 we have all the vocal and scat voices from Genos which means the styles now have these voices too and sound really nice.

The following users thanked this post: mhack

Offline Dnj

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2019, 06:59:47 PM »
Hello Larry!

Can you answer me a question please?
About VH, when it is activated, can you know on the main screen or can only see if you press a button?
Thanks if you can answer me.

Greetings,
Enildo

I was wondering also if there is a VH2 ON/OFF light ON DECK to show you is it on or off?

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2019, 08:43:02 PM »
It is good to mention this point about SA2!! If SA2 is indispensable for you and you use it: you have to choose that keyboard whatever SA2 has. Otherwise it will continue to irritate you. If you are satisfied with just SA1 then not having SA2 is not an obstacle. just choose the keyboard you like. Just so simple as that, isn't it?

If you are from USA, Europe or Asia maybe is that simple, but if you are from Latin american countries, not only that maybe you will never see the top keyboards like Genos or Tyros in your local music stores, but also they are very expensive and you must be very lucky to have one these keyboards. Well, I know that it doesn't matter for some of you  :'(

Offline Toril S

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2019, 09:07:02 PM »
Eileen! Do the Xs have the scat voices??? In that case I am much closer to buying one!!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2019, 09:53:29 PM »
Toril, do you not have them already on Ty5? I seem to remember seeing lots (an excessive number?  :) ) when I had it, most of which, apart from the straight aahs the occasional ooh and choirs, I did not really have a use for.
John

« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 09:57:20 PM by jwyvern »

The following users thanked this post: Toril S

Offline ton37

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2019, 09:53:53 PM »
If you are from USA, Europe or Asia maybe is that simple, but if you are from Latin american countries, not only that maybe you will never see the top keyboards like Genos or Tyros in your local music stores, but also they are very expensive and you must be very lucky to have one these keyboards. Well, I know that it doesn't matter for some of you  :'(
Thanks for your reply. I realise that, altought I do not know how it is worldwide. Many times in my postings I have wrote that when it comes to a choice which (expensive) toy we can/want to afforf, in fact that is a luxury problems. But thanks to bring in some realisme!
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Toril S

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2019, 10:55:30 PM »
John, yes I have them on my T5 :) I like many of them, especially the multipads with voices. But they don't work on my S975. So songs I create on my T5 with those pads/styles with oohs, aahs and such don't work on a MIDI that I have made on the T5 if I play that MIDI on the 975. I can live with that, after all I can just go to my T5, but I got a little exited when I heard that this feature now has been added to the XS.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Online EileenL

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2019, 12:09:06 AM »
Yes Toril they are now on the SX900 plus multi pads.

The following users thanked this post: Toril S

Offline Toril S

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2019, 09:34:16 AM »
Thanks Eileen and John! This is not good news for my pocket book!!😀😀😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Telmo

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2019, 03:35:36 PM »
Eileen! Do the Xs have the scat voices??? In that case I am much closer to buying one!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGKnPOoqSL4
Yamaha PSR-SX-900, JBL EON ONE Linear-Array PA System.
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Telmo3190
"We are Old Too quick... and Wise too late."

Offline Toril S

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2019, 04:53:09 PM »
Thanks Telmo😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

tson

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2019, 04:06:25 AM »
Someone said that Audio Styles were removed on the SX900.
1) Is that true?
2) Why would Yamaha do that?
3) Can they be gotten and loaded onto the SX900?

Offline Telmo

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2019, 11:39:44 AM »
1) Is that true?
Really?? Is this information true?? I love the Audio Styles I have on my Psr-S975. I would like to have them also on the SX-900.
Yamaha PSR-SX-900, JBL EON ONE Linear-Array PA System.
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Telmo3190
"We are Old Too quick... and Wise too late."

Offline reya

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2019, 12:39:12 PM »
1) Is that true?

Extract from the reference manual

Audio Styles can be played back and controlled by this instrument; however, by default the data is
not included on this instrument. Audio Styles or Expansion Packs that contain Audio Styles may be
available at the Yamaha website.
unquote

Only SX900 can play audio styles, SX700 can't

Best Regards
Rudy
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets