Author Topic: How much of 1GB memory takes after installing the pre-loaded 4 Expansion Packs??  (Read 24620 times)

Offline Telmo

Hello musician friends,
Those who already purchased the SX-900 would you please tell me how much of the 1GB memory takes, after installing the pre-loaded  pre-installed Packs?? I've read that the SX900 comes with 4 pre-installed Expansion Packs. After installing them, how much memory space is left out of 1Gb?? Thanks in advance.
Yamaha PSR-SX-900, JBL EON ONE Linear-Array PA System.
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Telmo3190
"We are Old Too quick... and Wise too late."

Offline ton37

Hi Telmo, those who already have a nice SX900 will certainly be able to give the precise answer. They are in any case small packs. After listen to them, I didn't find them useful for me because they represent a certain cultural music style. One can simply decide via YEM whether or not to install them. But maybe one of the SX900 owners will/can confirm that ..
My best regards,
Ton

The following users thanked this post: Telmo

Offline tyrosaurus

Hi Telmo,

If you download the four pre-installed packs for the SX900 and import them into YEM, then with only these four packs selected to include in an install file, YEM reports that the Voice Wave size is 204 MB of 1004 MB available expansion memory (there is a 10 MB overhead that is always reserved, even with no packs selected).  This leaves around 800 MB for other packs.

Regards

Ian

The following users thanked this post: amateur, Dave Shively, Telmo

Offline Telmo

Hi Telmo,

If you download the four pre-installed packs for the SX900 and import them into YEM, then with only these four packs selected to include in an install file, YEM reports that the Voice Wave size is 204 MB of 1004 MB available expansion memory (there is a 10 MB overhead that is always reserved, even with no packs selected).  This leaves around 800 MB for other packs.

Regards

Ian
Thanks a lot Ian,   it's good to know that now we have much more memory for expansion packs. That's is one of the main reasons I intend to upgrade. Happy playing. :) :) :)

Anword

4 Pre-installed Packs meaning : these packs alredy factory installed inside in the sx900 and theirs should be only activate?  Am I right?
Thanks.

Offline Telmo

4 Pre-installed Packs meaning : these packs alredy factory installed inside in the sx900 and theirs should be only activate?  Am I right?
Thanks.
According to my understanding, although these packs are already factory installed, they reside on the 1GB space memory available.

Offline tyrosaurus

According to my understanding, although these packs are already factory installed, they reside on the 1GB space memory available.

That is correct, they are installed in the expansion memory.

If you load another install file (PPI/CPI) into the keyboard, the expansion memory will be formatted and the pre-loaded packs will be deleted.

However you can download the CPF files for all four packs from Yamaha at no cost.  These can be imported into YEM and then used along with other content to make an install file containing voices etc. from these and other packs that you want to use, making full use of the 1 GB of expansion memory.

Regards

Ian

The following users thanked this post: amateur

Offline Danny1972

I've noticed that you don't need to redownload the packs as one of the three options given when you are in installation pack mode is to restore the factory packs, so the installation files must be part of the OS and you'd never lose them or need to replace them, which is handy.

Offline tyrosaurus

Hi Danny,

I was not aware of this option on the SX models, so thanks for pointing it out.

It is described in the section 'Restoring the Pre-installed Expansion Contents' on page 138 of the downloadable 'Reference Manual' (PO-A0), and confirms that if you use it to restore the pre-loaded packs, the expansion memory will be formatted, deleting whatever is currently installed.

There is a 'Note' which explains that if you want to install the pre-installed packs along with other content of your choice, you would need to make a custom install pack from YEM that includes the pre-installed ones.  This would require first importing their CPFs into YEM.

Since it appears that the pre-installed packs use only about 200 MB of the expansion memory, many people will want to make their own 'mixed' install pack, which requires the use of YEM and the CPF downloads.

Regards

Ian