Author Topic: About DSP in the SX900  (Read 3784 times)

Offline ton37

About DSP in the SX900
« on: October 02, 2019, 03:51:37 PM »
When the Genos was presented, it was said that it contained more DSP than, for example, the Tyros. Nowhere I read the number of DSP in the SX900. I have enclosed a quick overview. Is it possible to deduce how much DSP is in the SX900?
I am not technical, maybe someone can provide some clarity about this?
T.i.a.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 03:52:42 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, kevin.dsouza

Offline jwyvern

Re: About DSP in the SX900
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 04:59:04 PM »
Up to 28 insertion DSP's on Genos, and up to 8 on the SX (presumably a maximium of 8 insertion DSP's allowed to attach to voices in each individual setup. But you should be able to use System Dsp's too where they can also help).

Both sets of DSP come with various preset levels for the adjustment parameters, hence the higher figures quoted but you can still only use a max of 8.
Both have User settings where you can additionally make your own parameter settings, then save them to memory "slots", 30 available on SX, only 10  on Genos.
On Genos it is unnecessary in most cases to save to User slots because you can set the parameters to what you need and they will save to registrations (although currently only for 1 DSP per voice.)
It is not clear to me whether the SX is capable of this also.
John
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 05:05:52 PM by jwyvern »

The following users thanked this post: ton37

Offline ton37

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 06:22:19 PM »
Thank you for your explanation @John. Much appreciated! Can you or someone else perhaps clarify what is meant by 'insertion effects'? When do you use that and what are the effects of this when playing or about what effect do you speak?

+++ to answer my own question +++
I found something on Yamaha Synth. I have to spend some time to understand these technical explanation  ::)

https://www.yamahasynth.com/moxf-category/introducing-the-effects

So I thought to share what I found: maybe it is helpfull for other interested members?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 08:06:16 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 08:37:15 PM »
Ton,
Insert DSP's can be assigned (or inserted) to individual voices to modify their Timbre, Distortions (eg. for guitars) , EQ, Increased Presence, Dynamics (more live sound through use of compression), Modulation of various types, Delay (giving spatial effects to strings or solo wind instruments) Reverb and so on. For live playing they can be assigned to panel voices and style voices and the SX's 8 (if fully used) will need to be shared between them. If a song containing Dsp's is also simultaneously played there is still only a max of 8, so usually the keyboard will dynamically assign them as required and may "steal" them from other positions.

The above is not complete, it's probably best to work through the list of effects on the KB over time to find out what they can do. Usually trial and error and experience is needed to get optimum results. It is not a case of inserting a Dsp or two and suddenly finding marvellous results. It has to be worked at.
There are unusual Legacy effects which convert trumpet sounds into muted trumpets, and one is particularly useful for BigBand, providing transitions between smooth and trumpet stabs depending on velocity to accompany the main melody.

John
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 08:59:16 PM by jwyvern »

The following users thanked this post: ton37

Offline ton37

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 09:02:03 PM »
Thanks John, I am going to understand it a bit. Your advise to work throught the list of effects is a good idea, then I certainly can hear what they do. Thanks for your help!
My best regards,
Ton

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 09:08:34 PM »
Hi Ton, In the past few minutes I was making an edit to the above paragraph, so just to in case you missed it:

. Usually trial and error and experience is needed to get optimum results. It is not a case of inserting a Dsp or two and suddenly finding marvellous results. It has to be worked at.  :)

John