Author Topic: Keyboard touch settings  (Read 6555 times)

Offline ugawoga

Keyboard touch settings
« on: October 02, 2019, 01:09:07 AM »
hi
The Keyboard touch settings   Easy to hard makes a lot of difference in clarity to how it is set, let alone the touch.
So when you have a lot of registrations made and you set the keyboard to hard which i wanted for a slow song it was nice and soft, but go back to another song and the volumes are down quite a bit.
I have my Genos set flat as well especially when making a registration.

I am finding that the keyboard touch settings cannot be saved in a registration.
At the moment if i want to play different songs with different touch settings i have to go to an assignable button to bring the Keyboard/joystick section up and then change from there.
Setting to hard i find is great for slow soft songs and easy for general pop and rock is fine.
It would be nice to save those settings for each song.
I have not found a way yet. Or, have i missed something again!! ::)
Any thoughts on this appreciated.

All the Best
John :)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 01:10:57 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline jwyvern

Re: Keyboard touch settings
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 08:40:00 AM »
Hi John,
I think globally changing touch hardness values to deal with individual song requirements is a bit like the sledgehammer/ nut syndrome. Better in my view to set it globally to a level that generally suits you, so that your brain acclimatises to it and will eventually be able to change instinctively to get close  to what different songs (or sections of songs) require. As Francesco says you can fine tune individual voices for Depth and Offset where required (saving in registrations as I do) but in general IMO, once you find the optimum global setting, the playing levels and expression should sound more alive coming from you rather than programming the robot too much ;).

John
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 10:18:10 AM by jwyvern »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 11:52:04 AM »
Hi John,
  I find it best to leave the touch set to normal and get used to playing the notes with a softer touch for quite passages. Thus you can achieve more expression in a song.

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 12:35:15 PM »
Eileen and John are right - touch setting should be left the same and you adjust. Changing touch settings continually will actually prevent you from developing good feel. Something around medium suits most people although a lighter setting might be good for people with arthritis or some weakness in their wrist or hands.
I am not sure why anyone would want heavy settings, and most keyboard players shy away from overly heavy keyboards or pianos because they lack sensitivity.
Mike

Offline DerekA

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 01:23:30 PM »
I've only ever played home/church organ, never acoustic piano - so have a relatively light touch.

I use Soft2 and wish there was a Soft3 :)
Genos

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 03:54:28 PM »
Hi to All

Thank you very much for your advice.
I do find that Normal sounds with the keyboard master setting flat is a little muffled and  soft 1 brings a lot more clarity at a single touch but too much on a softer song.
You are right in saying adjust your sounds before making a registration.
I am experimenting today doing that so as to  keep all songs around the same quality level.
For example i found a song like Heart's Alone is great on Soft 1 and Albatross, Fleetwood Mac best on Hard 2.
So adjusting the sounds is key then :). Hope that works

All the best
john :)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 03:56:38 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 04:03:29 PM »
Must admit I am surprised at what you are saying because touch setting shouldn’t have any effect on the sound.
Mike

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 04:28:42 PM »
The touch setting will influence the velocity level at which the voices for a given "finger hit" play, and if the velocity is somewhat restrained the notes  (depending on other settings) may not sound as clear or pleasing. Sometimes people use higher settings to get eg. more brilliance out of otherwise average piano sounds.
But if you find it generally necessary to use a soft touch setting to get most voices sounding better, the usual option would be to set master EQ to compensate (or perhaps investigate master comp) prior to involving global touch settings.
OTOH are you generally playing with enough finger velocity as standard which would give you more clarity at the Normal touch setting, while giving you the latitude to back off when needing to play lighter pieces?
John
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 04:38:52 PM by jwyvern »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 04:54:02 PM »
Hi John
I understand what you mean.
I am getting songs at a flat level on the registrations sounding good and later use a little compression and Eq for general playing.
I am finding recording my songs at flat level  is easier to get better in Cubase when finalizing.
When you come back to your normal registrations things can sound flat and a little Mastering on the Genos helps.
I am trying to get a standard accross the board level for all songs and it is quite difficult and a lot of messing about.
My explanations may be a little mixed up ,but i hope you can see what i am trying to do.
I usually bungle my way through ::) :P
I will have to spend more time getting the sounds on blob.

All the Best
john
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 04:55:16 PM by ugawoga »

Offline panos

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 06:23:14 PM »
Just to answer to Mike's question why people could prefer the "Hard" touch settings.

We want the volumes between the notes to be less noticeable.
E.g with a soft touch setting the first note we are playing is in volume 100, next note is in volume 85,next 90,next 95,next 80,next 100 etc.
We prefer the "gap" between the volumes of the notes to be smaller.
E.g from 90(ultra soft) to 100(ultra hard).
I have used those numbers just as examples.

With the same voice touch settings, different voice combinations  will give different results because of their effects and require slightly different playing even when you are playing the same melody part of a song.
E.g first verse with the voice combination A and second verse the voice combination B.
Also in slow tempo songs you want more expression and it's easier to handle the dynamics of your fingers,
while in fast tempo songs too much ups and downs in dynamics sound like you are messing up with the volumes of the notes. 
That is what John is facing I think.

That button it's a really "tricky" thing!! I am not used to it either ;D 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 06:25:13 PM by panos »

Offline DerekA

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 08:31:24 PM »
It's not just volume. Many voices open the filter when you play harder, of have layers where a different sample is played depending on velocity.

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 12:54:37 PM »
This is an interesting topic and relates to the issue I posted about the Megavoice bass line volumes being all over the map. If I recall, you can set the left-hand styles to respond touch or just have them play at a constant volume. Is this true? If so, it would explain why some of my bass lines drop off in volume because I didn't press the chords as hard that time around. Thanks...Lee
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline mikf

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 02:28:29 PM »
Lee, on my CVP705 the whole accompaniment volume responds to how loud I play. Quite a neat feature. Not sure if it is the same on Genos or Tyros. 
Mike

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2019, 03:35:25 PM »
Lee, on Genos you go to Style Setting/ Dynamics and set the amount you want. I currently have it set to Medium.
The style responds to the playing levels of left and right hands. Tyros, as I recall it only responded to the LH when set.
John
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 07:12:32 PM by jwyvern »

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2019, 05:46:29 PM »
Thanks for the info, guys.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2019, 07:56:08 PM »
hi
We have just to keep experimenting  :)

Alll the Best
John :)