Author Topic: Boss FS-6 with Genos problem  (Read 23627 times)

latingate

Boss FS-6 with Genos problem
« on: October 01, 2019, 09:01:58 AM »
I am trying to connect Boss FS-6 double footswitch to  the Genos.
When I connect only each one of the two inputs - no problem.
When I connect both - it doesn't work properly.
I tried to change the polarities of one of both inputs but it's no good.
Does anyone know what can be the issue?
Thanks..
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 09:05:33 AM by latingate »

Offline muzicman147

Re: Boss FS-6 with Genos problem
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 10:30:34 AM »
Have you checked the polarities on the keyboard ?
Go through the main menu to "Assignable" up in the top right corner there is another menu button, click this to open the polarity menu.

Online Bill

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 10:44:43 AM »
A Few questions:

1.    Have you two cables plugged into the unit or are you using one.
2.    When you say it does not work Correctly what do you mean.
3.    What functions are you trying to assign to the pedals.

Bill
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 11:18:13 AM by Bill »
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

latingate

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 12:09:02 PM »
A Few questions:

1.    Have you two cables plugged into the unit or are you using one.
2.    When you say it does not work Correctly what do you mean.
3.    What functions are you trying to assign to the pedals.

Bill

1. Two cables
3. I am trying to assign style up/down (I think it is called fill up/down in the relative screen)
2. It does different strange things. Sometimes it goes just one up for example, and next "up" goes back down. Sometimes both switches do "up" or "down", another thing that happens is that after pressing the footswitch the style part remains blinking (as it is always in "fill-in" mode).
These things don't happen if I connect only one of the two switches.

P.S. -
I also tried to connect two units of FS-6 and in each one I am using one switch. That way it is working fine, but of course this is not comfortable and was just done for testing purposes

latingate

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 01:20:11 PM »
Have you checked the polarities on the keyboard ?
Go through the main menu to "Assignable" up in the top right corner there is another menu button, click this to open the polarity menu.

Tried to change these settings as well.. no good :(
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 10:09:47 PM by latingate »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 04:15:01 PM »
2. It does different strange things. Sometimes it goes just one up for example, and next "up" goes back down. Sometimes both switches do "up" or "down", another thing that happens is that after pressing the footswitch the style part remains blinking (as it is always in "fill-in" mode).
These things don't happen if I connect only one of the two switches.

This is a polarity problem. You just have to experiment to get the right polarity. There’s only 4 combinations.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 03:49:13 PM »
I had tried a friend's BOSS dual-footswitch also, and it did not work right.  Seemed that either pedal triggered BOTH inputs.  I think it has to do with "electrical common", I think that's the term.  I used a Volt-Ohm meter and found that one of the connectors is used "in common" for both pedals.  I used a different (Studio Logic) dual pedal, for which each pedal is completely independent (no electrical 'common') and that works fine.

So with the Boss, if I had "pedal 1" connected to foot switch input 1 on Genos, and "pedal 2" connected to foot switch input 2 on Genos, when I press pedal 1, it triggered BOTH things (as if I'd pressed 2 pedals). 

I liked one of the Boss dual pedals for its compact size, but I just could not get it to work.  I was able to get the Studio Logic dual pedal to work OK . . . I had to re-wire it though (not sure of the model number)

Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

latingate

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 05:36:45 PM »
I had tried a friend's BOSS dual-footswitch also, and it did not work right.  Seemed that either pedal triggered BOTH inputs.  I think it has to do with "electrical common", I think that's the term.  I used a Volt-Ohm meter and found that one of the connectors is used "in common" for both pedals.  I used a different (Studio Logic) dual pedal, for which each pedal is completely independent (no electrical 'common') and that works fine.

So with the Boss, if I had "pedal 1" connected to foot switch input 1 on Genos, and "pedal 2" connected to foot switch input 2 on Genos, when I press pedal 1, it triggered BOTH things (as if I'd pressed 2 pedals). 

I liked one of the Boss dual pedals for its compact size, but I just could not get it to work.  I was able to get the Studio Logic dual pedal to work OK . . . I had to re-wire it though (not sure of the model number)

Jim

So it's not me  ;) it's the boss footswitch and I am not the only one with this problem..
It's real shame that this compact dual footswitch cannot work with the Genos.

What do you mean that you "had to re-wire" the studio logic pedal?

Thanks..

Offline voodoo

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 10:57:06 PM »

Jim

Jim

I think that this is the logical reason. It is normal that you use one common lead for two Switches. So you need only three wires and not four.

So when you used the ohm meter, which Connector was the common? Was it the ring or the tip of the Connector? Normally the ring is used for ground and the tip is used for the signal.

Perhaps in the Genos it is expected the other way round. So changing Cable in the pedal or using another cable could solve the problem.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

latingate

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2019, 06:52:54 AM »
Is there any other dual footswitch/pedal that does work with the Genos?

Offline Stijn

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2019, 09:50:07 AM »
I use this one:

studiologic vfp2 monojacks

[attachment deleted by admin]
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

Offline reya

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 02:04:50 PM »
It looks like these VFP2's exist in different variations ...

It is my guess, the Studiologic VFP2/15M would be the one to go for.

The 15 indicates it operates in normal closed mode.
and the M indicates it has  2 mono jacks for connection

Best Regards
Rudy
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets