Author Topic: Shall I - shan't I ????  (Read 3226 times)

Offline advid

Shall I - shan't I ????
« on: September 29, 2019, 12:23:16 PM »
....I've used Yamahas for many years and  a  real fan....right up to the Tyros 4....I was gigging regularly....THEN , I tried a Korg PA900 in a  shop and decided to change. A big change ....more dynamics and the feeling of a 'real' backing band when playing and singing my songs.....
The new SX 900 gives me the urge to go back....but those drums are still the same old Yamaha sounds...to me - very lacking in 'live' drum sounds....Any one who has worked with a proper drummer will know what I mean.
When playing to the public they want a sound that's as near a real band as you can get....Drums and a good bass make the music come to life .....I still feel that Yamaha is still  lacking behind that very important basic rhythm section in their styles....
At this moment I'm very tempted to return to Yamaha but I'll hold on a bit 'til I get one to play in my local music shop....
My comments are not to put down Yamaha and cause a dispute but I do wish they had the 'zing' of my Korg....

Offline Enildo

Re: Shall I - shan't I ????
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 12:46:38 PM »
Hello Advid!

I agree with you when you talk about yamaha drums.
They are very polished drums and don't feel like real drums.
How did I solve this? I installed my own real drum kits and each internal style that I need to use,
I change the original drums for my personal drums.
I also make modifications to the cymbals, increase the pedal volume of the boxes and so on.
When I show the change to my musician friends he is amazed.
When it comes to the regional styles of each country, the discrepancy is huge.
Here in Brazil it is impossible to record a real "forró" style with the drums that yamaha makes available,
even with the "Brazilian Selection kit", which brings a few real drum sounds.
The yamaha sins in the drums.
I would like to hear live the new "revo" drums to feel the difference. In youtube videos I saw no difference from revo drums.

Enildo
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 12:47:54 PM by Enildo »
When word fail, Music speaks!

blackpool

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 05:17:09 PM »
Pity we cant 'mix and match' I do love the Yamaha OS
I also like Korg Advid.. I had a 900 a while back, but do find the OS difficult on PA's
Yes, the drums are great, your right, but i find some of the Korg styles just TOO busy and need thinning out in some of the complex variations.
I am going to use a little EK50 I have with the Sx900 ....cant wait!
I do like that toy Korg model, easy OS + they are for nothing.

Keith 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 05:21:37 PM by blackpool »

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 07:16:34 PM »
If Yamaha's had Ketron's drums then it would be the ultimate keyboard out there. In my opinion, even now I still think Ketron has the best drums by a mile over anything out there. But for everything else, I'd always go for Yamaha (and Korg as a second option).

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 12:03:14 AM »
Hi,
I was having a very brief glance at some of the manuals yesterday, had no idea how much the yamaha’s  had actually advanced in the way of audio functions.

I’ve had My psrs950 for about 5 to 6 years, but never really used it , I’ve been totally focused on the korg’s for the past 11 years.

Don’t know what parts of the Yem manual actually apply to the sx900, fairly certain I read stuff on wav files,  sound fonts  etc so will be interesting when it arrives.
Admittedly I was trying to get away from fiddling round with the tech stuff, when I sold my Pa4x , and actually do some playing, but, will be interesting.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022